Ladders - 3 piece or telescopic?

ph5172

Rigid 2 or 3 piece ladder is your best and safest option. And don't forget to tie it up,,,, falls from height are the biggest source of injuries [and worse] !!! There's no thoughts of "I'll be all right, it'll only take a few minutes" 🙄 FYI,,,, I work in the building industry carrying out mainly insurance repairs 👍

Get someone else to risk the job, its a long drop from up there, ask yourself how often will you need to clean out the guttering, how much would someone charge and can you go shooting in a wheelchair ???

11 minutes ago, JKD said:

Rigid 2 or 3 piece ladder is your best and safest option. And don't forget to tie it up,,,, falls from height are the biggest source of injuries [and worse] !!! There's no thoughts of "I'll be all right, it'll only take a few minutes" 🙄 FYI,,,, I work in the building industry carrying out mainly insurance repairs 👍

+1

Pity you live so far away, as I have a 3 section ladder in my garage that I don’t use (too old!) anymore..........but no! I won’t post!

Edit to confess...I checked and it’s two sections not three! :no: it’s. An age thing! :blush: Sorry!

Edited by panoma1

29 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

Thanks guys. A wide base rigid it is. 

It's easy to 'tie up' using eyed bolts fixed firmly about 300mm below the soffit /fascia in the brick not the JOINT, or eyed screw bolts through the fascia into the ends of rafters, and a piece of rope through those and through the rungs and tied SECURELY!!! Best option ARE SHIELD EYE ANCHORS from Screwfix. You can leave them in situ in the bricks or just remove the eyed bolt section,,,, very discrete and SAFE 👍

Also, using a ladder stay/stand off, will help 😉

ps. If you have lime mortar in the brick joints best to fix to the timber,,,, bricks move quite easily in lime mortar. Once had to replace some bricks that a BT engineer had loosened up by fixing the phone supply cable to a brick using the method described.... When he tightened up the cable it pulled the brick out !!! 

Edited by JKD
More info

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Get someone else to risk the job, its a long drop from up there, ask yourself how often will you need to clean out the guttering, how much would someone charge and can you go shooting in a wheelchair ???

+1

I agree. There are something’s I won’t do but this is for those ‘little’ jobs like re clipping or sealing gutters and the like. Any else I get someone in. 

Steer well,clear of telescopic........nice and convenient BUt the slightest ding in the side of it and it's scrap.....have a look at local,scrapers,for details!

i have a 4 rung fibreglass pair of steps and n the van and a 4 rung 'little giant' ladder.....this extends to 14'.  Back at base there is a 6 rung one.."its a bit heavyweight " BUT it will easily reach the eaves.  Any higher then it's my zip,up,tower

just saying

On 01/12/2019 at 13:10, ph5172 said:

I’m looking at a longer ladder - will be for basic access to the gutters and such on a infrequent DIY basis. 

looking at around 5 meters. 

would I be better off going for telescopic (I already have a 3.6) or a rigid 3 section?

After spending around 17 years working off ladders and on roofs I would say keep well clear of telescopic ladders . With regard to the triple ladders make sure three rungs overlap when extended for good stability. My personal ladders include a triple 9 rung which in reality is very marginal for working on gutter's so you will probably need 10 to 11 rungs per section. Also the lightweight H section Stiles and square rungs are very flexible so I only use ladders with box section Stiles and D rungs. 

Edited by sportsbob
Added info.

Think I have most types of double and triple ladders.Double is lighter than triple if you only need to get to gutter height but you will need long arms to extend,triple will be easier to get to height needed.

Both will now have a bar on the bottom and you should use a stand off rather than rely on the guttering to hold.

Get a large d rung,much safer and more comfortable to work on and box section.

1200 people a year die/have accident on ladders...….. 

Vampire surely you mean falling off ladders 😋

I hate ladders for working off and prefer a tower or mewp.

Have set of triple extension youngman ladders that are far too heavy but sturdy. Square rungs so bloody awful on you feet after ten mins.

Also have a three and a bit meter telescopic ladder that's ok for accessing lofts etc, I wouldn't want try doing any gutter off a taller set.

My dad has some of the three section combination ladder that you can set out like steps and extend the Ladders to get access without touching a wall or can be used as a triple extension ladder, these are what I'd buy in future.

Edited by figgy