Shotgun greasing

Tikkat3x

I tend to use a light smear of grease on the hinge pin on all my guns and the knuckle where the action meets the fore-end iron. Does it significantly reduce wear ?? I dont know is the simple answer, but light gun oil can run off or dry out in a centrally heated house, so I always tend to use grease rather than oil on parts that pivot slowly, like the hinge pin and knuckle. The price of the gun doesnt feature in my thoughts when cleaning & lubricating, they all get treated the same way.

Edited by JJsDad

I always use grease on hinge pin and knuckle. Oil everywhere else. But bear in mind if you do use grease it must all be cleaned off and replaced after every outing. Otherwise the fine dust that is always with us turns the grease into grinding paste.

Edited by DUNKS

I largely agree but tend to use oil. Because the slippiest surface for least friction is an oiled surface that has had the oil wiped off. That means there is no surplus to run off, and there is less goo to pick up detritus.  I also find the gun easier to clean after an outing if I do not use grease.

If wet, separate the stock, action and forend, Gently dry overnight at room temperature (if needed) thorough clean, wipe all over (no fingerprints) Light oil (currently Legia spray) reasemble, wipe all over removing any excess oil.........in gunsock....in gunsafe......jobs a goodun!
No grease...It attracts grit and crud!

The only greases (Napier white or copperslip) I use, are only on the threads of a removable choke!

Edited by panoma1

Just now, London Best said:

I don’t have any removable chokes but use grease on rifle moderator threads.

Most of my guns don’t...but I also keep a S/A for fowling and an O/U for the very occasional clay bustin!......My lad has a S/A and uses an O/U for both live quarry and clays! Hence the choke grease! Lol!

I just use oil on a cloth. 9 years I’ve owned my lanber and it’s my main shot gun . It’s still mint besides the stock but it’s a tool to me that works well. 
ive only had shotguns around 20 years but I’ve only had 2 o/u in that time and only oiled them. . 
my semi auto , .410 etc still just get oiled. 

34 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If wet, separate the stock, action and forend, Gently dry overnight at room temperature (if needed) thorough clean, wipe all over (no fingerprints) Light oil (currently Legia spray) reasemble, wipe all over removing any excess oil.........in gunsock....in gunsafe......jobs a goodun!
No grease...It attracts grit and crud!

The only greases (Napier white or copperslip) I use, are only on the threads of a removable choke!

Is grease better than oil for choke threads? How often do you remove chokes for cleaning/regrease?

Moly grease or shmeirfix Kreighoff stuff as I have half a tube left. Used choke threads and  on any hinge pins stub pins and where the forend rubs the action. Oil for ejectors.

If was going to use oil.in place of grease it would be decent motor engine oil 

Edited by figgy

38 minutes ago, Tikkat3x said:

Is grease better than oil for choke threads? How often do you remove chokes for cleaning/regrease?

I don’t really know which is best oil or grease....but I reckon the biggest threat is a stuck choke, so grease is my choice! A cleaning regime generally evolves to become what you normally do! I only re- grease the chokes threads occasionally, because I don't use either S/A or O/U that much, after cleaning, also I always slacken the chokes off half a turn prior to putting them in the cabinet! Again in other to avoid them getting stuck!

Oil if used frequently, grease for storage on external and moving parts.

Grease on choke threads as once settled on a set, they tend to stay in fir a while.

WD40/GT85 for cleaning and water removal, Ballistol for protection, sealed for life type grease (nlgi3) for storage/chokes.

Edited by Stonepark

16 hours ago, figgy said:

Moly grease or shmeirfix Kreighoff stuff as I have half a tube left. Used choke threads and  on any hinge pins stub pins and where the forend rubs the action. Oil for ejectors.

Schmierfix is great stuff. Alan Rhone sells it on line and a tube lasts about 3 years. It's a gel which acts like grease but lubricates like oil. Bingo!

I do put a teeny drop of light oil on the ejector channels and forend release.

And if you read the little manual that comes with a Beretta they tell you where to put the oil. No suggestion please, this is a family friendly forum.

When I bought a new Beretta I put the oil on the shelf next to the cabinet. It's great for things like secateurs and shed hinges but IMO it's too thin for the forend knuckle or trunnions and too thick for the ejectors.

It really depends on usage patterns. If you're doing a bit of walked up or an hour or so on the pigeons then oil is probably fine, but if you're off to shoot 150-300 clays then oil isn't enough. As for the grit theory I can only comment that I've never noticed it and I've never had noticeable wear or galling on any gun. I always used grease where there's loaded friction, it is after all what grease is meant for.

"Oil for light contact, grease for heavy" my Old Man circa 1960 - and he was what was known as an instrument maker. Some of the older members might know what that means.

3 hours ago, Westward said:

It really depends on usage patterns. If you're doing a bit of walked up or an hour or so on the pigeons then oil is probably fine, but if you're off to shoot 150-300 clays then oil isn't enough. As for the grit theory I can only comment that I've never noticed it and I've never had noticeable wear or galling on any gun. I always used grease where there's loaded friction, it is after all what grease is meant for.

"Oil for light contact, grease for heavy" my Old Man circa 1960 - and he was what was known as an instrument maker. Some of the older members might know what that means.

Yep! I was an RAE apprentice, did a year in the instrument shop - ended up as a Tool-room fitter.,

I use Gun Oil on the ejectors, you want a crisp action and grease drags a bit. Lightly grease everything else that sees some friction, clean it all off and replace it frequently. Spray the barrels with Napier Gun cleaner and lubricant, wipe it off with your oily rag leaving a protective film.

In truth, I can't see that using oil OR grease would make a whole lot of difference as long as there is always some kind of lubricant on the contact surfaces

41 minutes ago, martinj said:

As for the grit theory I can only comment that I've never noticed it and I've never had noticeable wear or galling on any gun. I always used grease where there's loaded friction, it is after all what grease is meant for.

Exactly. Used a light smear on all my shotguns for years. Quite where and how people supposedly pick up all this grit that makes grinding paste is beyond me. I use an old AYA magnum for fowling and even if it gets wet & muddy I dont find it gets into the hinge pin area or around the knuckle between fore end and action. My game gun comes home fairly clean externally after a day walking & standing.