Most Successful Cartridge?

These days I have more cartridges down the seats of my cars than I used to be able to buy in one go.

must be Eley Grand Prix, then HV then Maximums. 

Used to go in Monks and ask for a box of Grand Prix and they always said have some of our own brand, they are exactly the same. No they weren’t! Couldn’t hit anything with them.

reminds me of a chap I knew, was taking his gun to Monks for some reason but couldn’t help but take a potshot at the pigeons on the cathedral bell tower. :D

I think you’d be in a bit of trouble these days

Edited by 39TDS

So people earned £15.00 a week in olden days.

But the pound had 240 pence in it. Even the humble penny had four farthings or two halfpence.

You could buy more for your money,  houses didn't cost as much either.

Shooting has been expensive to all when we were younger. 

Most successful cartridge these days is the one who pays most to sponsor the too shots.

As for Digweed with white gold's, who actually buys them. I see black gold's a plenty but the whites are rare.  I think if another cart manufacturer offered him enough he'd swap and get them to make a cart of the same speed etc.

In today's market the budget carts outsell the premium ones. 

Edited by figgy

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

But the pound had 240 pence in it. Even the humble penny had four farthings or two halfpence.

Most successful cartridge these days is the one who pays most to sponsor the too shots.

As for Digweed with white gold's, who actually buys them. I see black gold's a plenty but the whites are rare.  I think if another cart manufacturer offered him enough he'd swap and get them to make a cart of the same speed etc.

hello, i remember those days very well,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, figgy said:

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i remember those days very well,

30 minutes ago, dipper said:

Until late 50s early60s it was gran prix or gran prix no choice.

Mt late Father told me of those days!:P

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

19 hours ago, dipper said:

Grand Prix seems cheap even way back.when I was at school 16 bore gran prix were 14/3 in 1958.. Shooting times was 9p.No choice then.

Yep, but I joined the police in 1962 and doubled my monthly....repeat MONTHLY wage to £38 and a few shillings and thought I was in seventh heaven.  BUT as y'allll say cartridges did seem cheaper back then.

It is an interesting question, although I think the results would depend on the discipline being shot.

If we are just to consider say the last 5 years the most successful DTL shooters (i.e World and European Champions) have all been using Hull, but a mix of cartridge types.  Is that because the cart's are the best?  Dunno, but Hull have the best shots on contract.

In fitasc and sporting, I know the Gamebore, Hull, Bornaghi, Fiocchi, Eley and B&P all have world champions, but don't know which brands has the most.  A fairly broad mix.

In the Olympic disciplines I suspect it is Fiocchi that is leading the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends what the definition of most successful is???? Most sales??? Most competitions won??? Probably impossible to find out.

I would have thought some of the American cartridges such as Winchester must rank up there due to the length of time the company has been in existence and the huge demand for shells in the US.

Like most things sporting the big guns ( excuse pun ) are paid to use a product , and would be be as good with any other be it golf clubs , footie boots , tennis rackets ! In our game it doesn’t matter if you use cheap or expensive if the shots in the right place it’s a good shot ! Yes I know there are marginal differences in them , quality , consistency , but to an average shooter would that matter ? 

As a youngster in the 60s it was mostly eley some winchester and those imperial Canadian .22s . Eley fourlongs on the old .410 and grand grix and impax in the 70s, some cheap ammo was around the gartop ammo was cheapish back then, like a grey/green paper case 32 gram, they worked in pigeons, but then as now if you wanted it done right you had to reload it.

Through most of the 80s and 90s up to steel, i did not reload for duck in 12 i just used express 36 gram game 6s were as cheap as reloading the rot had set in by then, and reloading made less financial gain, but still loaded ammo when needed it to perform properly.

got given some Baikal cartridges  10 on a box break in half large copper primers while duck shooting under the moon made some decoys from reeds     shot a left and right    drilled them through     the flame singed then clean      oven ready   👍          unburnt power came back in the wind and burnt all exposed skin looked like measles    for about a week       8 shells to a watery grave        trap 100 has killed just about everything  for me   in Ireland on the early 70s/80s  we got two  boxes trap 100  to one box of gran prix      eley grand prix were £7.50 for 25  moving to England a greater choice of shells at a much lower cost   2.50 to 3.00  for 25     best shell for me trap 100      in recent years home loading        tailor your load to your quarry    haven't bought a shop cartridge for anything on the quarry list in 20 years    

On 29/12/2019 at 20:04, snow white said:

Eley Grand Prix or alpha max where what we got in the early sixties 

...and they did the job in spades and still will.:good:

On 29/12/2019 at 20:57, Old farrier said:

Anyone remember the super game or going to the hardware store and being offered a box of odds ? 

Remember cycling down to the village and buying a box for my grandfather from the paper shop. I seem to remember him giving me a ten shilling note and a half crown.  Whats that 62p today ??   Mind a good weekly wage then was £3

• 6 months later...