RELOADING 12 GAUGE 32GRAM CARTRIDGE

7 hours ago, shotgunstan said:

HOW MUCH POWDER WOULD I NEED TO MAKE 1000 CARTRIGES 12 GAUGE IN 32 GRAM. AND SHOT SIZE 5

AT THE MOMENT MY MEC 600 JUNIOR IS SET UP FOR 32 GRAM 6 SHOT. WOULD I NEED TO ALTER MACHINE FOR 32 GRAM 5 SHOT

Read a reloading book before you embark on the reloading road.

What proofed data do you have for using maxam powder? The bushes control the amount powder dropped, not the weight of shot dropped. That bar has a fixed hole that throws 32 grms No.6 it will probably throw close to the same in No.5. Get some scales, as I advised and see what it drops, otherwise you won't know. You can buy different bars for alternative shot weights, or an adjustable one, all from Clay & Game.

The bush in the bar controls the powder drop. As I explained and gave you, there are lots of sizes of bushes available depending on what weight of powder is required. This is SERIOUS............DO NOT make up a cartridge without using proofed data and understanding how critical the powder measurement is. DO NOT just use an existing bush from one make of powder to another. Do NOT confuse grains/grams of powder with grams of shot. 

Get a scale to be absolutely sure that you are using the correct sized bush, that is dropping the exact weight for the particular make of powder on the data, as I advised you, and to check shot weight too.

I've set it up for you to do 70mm cartridges.  Your choice of powder might be less/more in volume than your previous powder, therefore as sports bob said above, you might need a shorter or longer fibre wad, a different sized bush to get the correct powder drop and quoting Old Farrier, there might be less or more in volume with N0.5 shot. There is no need to alter the crimp settings as they are done, super sensitive and a pig to get right. If your powder measurement is exact and the shot weight also, and you can't close the crimp or crush the shell, decrease the wad height. Conversely, if the crimp caves in, like I showed you, you will need to increase the wad height. 

As a short answer as to how much powder you will need for 1000 cartridges, find the data and do the sum. For example if its 1.6gms (24.69grains) multiplied by 1000 is 1600grams or 1.6kgs 

And as Motty said, please get a reloading book so you completely understand what you are doing.

Regards

T33

Edited by turbo33

45 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

What proofed data do you have for using maxam powder? The bushes control the amount powder dropped, not the weight of shot dropped. That bar has a fixed hole that throws 32 grms No.6 it will probably throw close to the same in No.5. Get some scales, as I advised and see what it drops, otherwise you won't know. You can buy different bars for alternative shot weights, or an adjustable one, all from Clay & Game.

The bush in the bar controls the powder drop. As I explained and gave you, there are lots of sizes of bushes available depending on what weight of powder is required. This is SERIOUS............DO NOT make up a cartridge without using proofed data and understanding how critical the powder measurement is. DO NOT just use an existing bush from one make of powder to another. Do NOT confuse grains/grams of powder with grams of shot. 

Get a scale to be absolutely sure that you are using the correct sized bush, that is dropping the exact weight for the particular make of powder on the data, as I advised you, and to check shot weight too.

I've set it up for you to do 70mm cartridges.  Your choice of powder might be less/more in volume than your previous powder, therefore as sports bob said above, you might need a shorter or longer fibre wad, a different sized bush to get the correct powder drop and quoting Old Farrier, there might be less or more in volume with N0.5 shot. There is no need to alter the crimp settings as they are done, super sensitive and a pig to get right. If your powder measurement is exact and the shot weight also, and you can't close the crimp or crush the shell, decrease the wad height. Conversely, if the crimp caves in, like I showed you, you will need to increase the wad height. 

As a short answer as to how much powder you will need for 1000 cartridges, find the data and do the sum. For example if its 1.6gms (24.69grains) multiplied by 1000 is 1600grams or 1.6kgs 

And as Motty said, please get a reloading book so you completely understand what you are doing.

Regards

T33

Thanks again

Guest cookoff013
3 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

Whereabouts in Essex are you? I'd be happy to help you out. I won't claim to be an expert but been reloading and making my own shot for many years

great offer, take it.

Guest cookoff013

Update. The guy wants to use csb3 ( gualandi say its good).

He has mec38 bushing. He needs to know how much csb3 with.

He needs.

Recipe 70mm. 2 powder charges available