Ruiz v Joshua 2. Revenge or Repeat?

SuperGoose75

Ruiz strikes me as an extremely dangerous fighter. Not only does he have very fast hands and good movement, he also comes across as being a proper hard case. I know Joshua was carrying the effect of the punch that put him down, but at times that first fight had the air of labrador v pitbull about it. Boxing might be largely about skill, but it's still a contest of violence and the great champions, for all their skills and natural talent, are proper tough guys.  I'm not convinced that Joshua fits that mould. He's more of an athlete who boxes. So if Ruiz can pull him into deep water again I think he's going to flounder.

30 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Ruiz strikes me as an extremely dangerous fighter. Not only does he have very fast hands and good movement, he also comes across as being a proper hard case. I know Joshua was carrying the effect of the punch that put him down, but at times that first fight had the air of labrador v pitbull about it. Boxing might be largely about skill, but it's still a contest of violence and the great champions, for all their skills and natural talent, are proper tough guys.  I'm not convinced that Joshua fits that mould. He's more of an athlete who boxes. So if Ruiz can pull him into deep water again I think he's going to flounder.

I’d have to agree with this. Mexicans are as hard as nails, they have to be. 

Edited by Scully

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Did i hear correctly that win or loose Joshua will get £6 million.  !!! 

You would need to add a zero after the 6 to be thereabouts.

Joshua  (The challenger ) is reported to be receiving a purse of between $65/$85 million.

Ruiz (The Champion ) is reportedly receiving  $13 million.

All in the contract clause apperantly.

There are no flies on "Fast Eddie" 💰💰💰💵💵💵

3 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Joshua  (The challenger ) is reported to be receiving a purse of between $65/$85 million.

Which is why some controversy over the ease of the outcome would not be a surprise. 🤐

So Ruiz has came into this fight 15llbs heavier than the last fight and Joshua has dropped 10lbs,will it make a massive difference? only time will tell. Joshua will hopefully be moving better than he did in the first fight. I would expect Joshua will have learnt a fair bit from the last fight and should have a totally different approach and be better prepared for the big punches that Ruiz is capable off producing. Watching videos of Ruiz training I don't think Joshua will fancy taking too many shots from the over weight Mexican that's for sure!

As for the supermarket shelf packing if he looses, I doubt it with a $65mil pay out :lol:

I am not fussed who wins but hoping for a decent fight.

6 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

My God 60 million, thats some tax bill

Clinical by Joshua and it went much as expected game plan wise. He boxed on the outside and Ruiz couldn't get close enough to do any damage.

To do it for 12rds surprised me I was also wrong about his footwork,Ruiz ended up being the plodder.

Will that game plan work against Wilder/Fury though? They are not short with a short reach. Interesting times ahead in the HW division.

Edited by SuperGoose75

Didn't see the fight but it seems he did change his approach and simply out boxed Ruiz. I am sure he has learned a lot in the last 6 months and shows he is capable of moving forward, will he be able to again change his game plan if he takes on Fury or Wilder only time will tell!!

Yes hats off to AJ, he stuck to a game plan and it worked! Gave Ruiz a boxing lesson, Dropping the weight/muscle helped with his stamina and mobility....I bet he wouldn’t want a second rematch with Ruiz though....some tough cookie!

And I think he still holds his head up too high!

Aj would I honestly think get stopped by both wilder and fury. Both to slick and have the power to take him out really early doors. Last night AJ stuck to the game plan but I'm sure he wouldn't have an answer to furys speed that I'm sure he would use from the opening bell. 

Wilder is just a big powerful guy that seems to get a lucky big shot in, I'm not impressed with his boxing ability. Fury beat him on that hands down 

21 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Aj would I honestly think get stopped by both wilder and fury. Both to slick and have the power to take him out really early doors. Last night AJ stuck to the game plan but I'm sure he wouldn't have an answer to furys speed that I'm sure he would use from the opening bell. 

Wilder is just a big powerful guy that seems to get a lucky big shot in, I'm not impressed with his boxing ability. Fury beat him on that hands down 

Fury would have the power to take him out early doors? Really?😂 Fury is not renowned for having power as far as HW's go! Boxing ability yes! Power most defiently not! He has the boxing brain but I for one can not stand his style. He didn't look to hot last time out and never took the Wilder rematch for good reason.

As for Wilder and lucky punches, I fail to see how they are lucky. He delivers them right hands with precision and power and it's night' night😴 His footwork is terrible but his boxing IQ is hugely underrated. It's true an out of shape Fury outboxed him however the referee was more than kind to him after the knockdown.

It could be said Joshua only had the belts in the first place due to a ''Lucky punch'' a desperate ''Hail Mary'' of  an uppercut got him out of jail. Plus the fact Klitschko  let him recoup for a full round instead of going in for the finish. And this was a Klitschko that Fury previously went to Germany and took the belts from.

Of course these are only opinions and for me Fury would probably outbox any form of Joshua over 12rds and Wilder would finish his career. 

And Im not buying the all the talk about Usyk making a dent in the HW division.Yes a fantastically  skilled boxer at CW but not big enough for the big boys of the HW division.Again only my opinions.

Wilder would as you said finish AJs career, not sure that fight will happen. Has fury only 3 fights left he keeps harping on about. Would love to see him beat wilder and then fight AJ but not sure those two will happen either. 

Regarding cruiserweights can you remember Carl Thompson schooling David Haye?.. 

16 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Wilder would as you said finish AJs career, not sure that fight will happen. Has fury only 3 fights left he keeps harping on about. Would love to see him beat wilder and then fight AJ but not sure those two will happen either. 

Regarding cruiserweights can you remember Carl Thompson schooling David Haye?.. 

Thompson v Haye  ''Vaguely'' I need to rematch. Thompson v Eubanks then I do remember them slugfests. But I think they were at LHW 

There are so many variables in trying to predict these fights! I was pleased to see Joshua wasn’t, after all, a clone of Frank Bruno, can move, and wasn't blowing after a few rounds (or at the end of the fight) the weight and muscle loss worked for him....Wilder is heavy handed, and if he lands clean, would take most out! Joshua has a suspect jaw, but is a better boxer, but probably not as good as Fury, Fury is big, uses his weight well, can box and can take a punch....but for a heavy, isn’t a really hard hitter!....but there are many more factors that come into play....to predict any match up, with any sort of accuracy!

The best boxer would usually win a fight, but a puncher always has a chance!

And I too, felt Fury beat Wilder!

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

There are so many variables in trying to predict these fights! I was pleased to see Joshua wasn’t, after all, a clone of Frank Bruno, can move, and wasn't blowing after a few rounds (or at the end of the fight) the weight and muscle loss worked for him....Wilder is heavy handed, and if he lands clean, would take most out! Joshua has a suspect jaw, but is a better boxer, but probably not as good as Fury, Fury is big, uses his weight well, can box and can take a punch....but for a heavy, isn’t a really hard hitter!....but there are many more factors that come into play....to predict any match up, with any sort of accuracy!

The best boxer would usually win a fight, but a puncher always has a chance!

And I too, felt Fury beat Wilder!

I have a worrying feeling these hypotheticals might stay just that! Time's passing and the big three keep finding a way to miss each other. I can see AJ beating both the other two, if he can keep on the front foot and stop the others hitting. That's probably easier to do on Wilder than Fury, because fury moves so well. AJ's clearly got a decent engine on him, so can keep the pressure going round after round. Mix that up with the serious power he has and I think it's enough to beat Wilder. Fury? Well that's a different matter. Can he pin him down and unload often enough to win a stoppage, or force Fury to spend so much time moving and dodging that he's blown before the end? All more hypotheticals!

I really hope we get to find out. 

AJ's the best puncher. Fury's the best mover. Wilder's somewhere between the two.