Used car problems...where to turn?

JBS

So to cut a very long story short I bought an Audi Q7 10 weeks ago for best part of 20 grand. It took the dealer, Sw car supermarket three weeks to prep the car and when I picked it up some of the agreed work was incomplete, 5 days later they pick the car up and leave me a courtesy car, six weeks and lots of trouble later I return to pick the car up only to find it’s badly repaired and still is incomplete, not even cleaned, I leave the car at the garage and return home and write an email outlining my reasons for rejecting the car and that I want my money back.

obviously I think that haven’t a leg to stand on and will simply return my hard earned. However this isn’t the case and five days later I still haven’t seen a penny, just more lies and excuses and the stress is slowly killing me and I just don’t know where to turn! 
I don’t have a credit card so paid with my debit card and also some cash, is it worth getting in to my bank? Is there anything they can do? 
I never realised just how poorly regulated this massive industry is until I started searching for help! 

Any input would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks, I didn’t realise there was an ombudsman, I’ve already threatened them with trading standards but to no avail.

whenever I call they just say that they can’t authorise the refund and I need to speak to whoever and then they have an excuse and so on. Today they asked for my bank details for the refund but nothing came, they are a huge company and so I don’t understand why the wouldn’t just give me my money back and be done with it 

2 minutes ago, Delwint said:

Stick the details of the complaint on Instagram, Facebook their own website, they won’t like bad publicity. And also go to CAB and trading standards 

I told them on Saturday I would give bad reviews if they messed me about any more and they promised to ring me back on Sunday. They didn’t so I started writing reviews on autotrader etc.. I had a very early call from them this morning ranting at me about the review saying it’s not helping the situation!! 

Tell them your going to add a Google review as well, Just been reading their absolute shocking reviews and they don't like them according to their answers.

Please in the future you need to get a C/Card and pay some of the balance then the Card Company will do the fighting for ya.

Maybe take yourself down to the showroom/forecourt and make a lot of noise? Choose a busy day (Sat/Sun) If they won't sort things there and then for you I'd start talking to other perspective customers and informing them of your bad experience. 

That should get there attention!

Good luck.

I had a similar situation but not with a car dealer. Kept getting passed from department to department, lied to, etc. One strongly worded letter addressed to the company’s CEO personally sorted it within 4 hours of him receiving my letter, and my money was refunded with a telephoned apology from the head of the sales team.

3 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

Maybe take yourself down to the showroom/forecourt and make a lot of noise? Choose a busy day (Sat/Sun) If they won't sort things there and then for you I'd start talking to other perspective customers and informing them of your bad experience. 

That should get there attention!

Good luck.

I did this on Wednesday when I went to collect the car, I was there for five hours!! 

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

I had a similar situation but not with a car dealer. Kept getting passed from department to department, lied to, etc. One strongly worded letter addressed to the company’s CEO personally sorted it within 4 hours of him receiving my letter, and my money was refunded with a telephoned apology from the head of the sales team.

Sent the md a message last night and have emailed also but no replies 

17 minutes ago, JBS said:

Thanks, I didn’t realise there was an ombudsman, I’ve already threatened them with trading standards but to no avail.

whenever I call they just say that they can’t authorise the refund and I need to speak to whoever and then they have an excuse and so on. Today they asked for my bank details for the refund but nothing came, they are a huge company and so I don’t understand why the wouldn’t just give me my money back and be done with it 

I told them on Saturday I would give bad reviews if they messed me about any more and they promised to ring me back on Sunday. They didn’t so I started writing reviews on autotrader etc.. I had a very early call from them this morning ranting at me about the review saying it’s not helping the situation!! 

I have in the past used review sites to my advantage. It really gets the attention of those who have done you wrong.

One stupid firm threatened to sue me for the poor reviews and I told them I would see them in court and let the Judge decide whether I was correct.

They eventually saw my point of view and asked what I wanted?

I offered to remove the poor reviews once the money was transferred and I was happy.

Took a while at the computer but is not difficult and is very worthwhile.

Good luck

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

Maybe we should all only pay for a vehicle when satisfied on collection?

If only I had but they are an hour drive from me, I got a lift there and was left to do the paperwork, I was taken to a desk and told my car was ready and perfect. They have a very impressive showroom with a lot of high end cars all gleaming and you fully expect that is what you will get. Cleverly they make sure the money is paid before you see it!! Very easy to caught up in it all when you’re looking forward to a new motor!! 

You need to write to the MD and post it recorded delivery. In your letter you need to highlight your exact complaint and what you have done to help them rectify the problems. You need to show that you have been reasonable and that you have been more than willing to assist them in returning the car but that you feel enough is enough and that the car, despite them having several opportunities to fix it, is still not fit for use. This letter will be very useful should you go to court as it demonstrates to a judge that you have been "reasonable" in your demands. Give them 14 days to return your money, if nothing happens go straight to your local Court (small claims will not cover 20k) and start your case - I believe that sometimes this can be done online.

Such a shame and it's beyond me why they don't attend to the agreed work promptly and well. It's just not good business practice to P off a customer such that not only will they never buy from you again but they will give bad reviews for the whole world to see.

My only advice is don't threaten them with anything you're not fully prepared to go through with.

Not the same industry. I recently bought a kitchen from Wren. Wren were great but their work top installer was the opposite. I sent them a formal complaint and evidence which they declined. I sent them a letter before court action for my additional costs, and compensation for the delay incurred. They paid out within three days. You have tried the other avenues and they are prevaricating, trading standards or legal action is your next step.