Used car problems...where to turn?

JBS

Have you actually spoke to trading standards ?

There are very specific rules that apply to motor retail industry.

On the lines of vehicle must be fit for purpose and you have to (which you have done) give them a chance to put things right and I think there is a bit that says it is relative to the price paid  I.e if you pay a couple of hundred £ its completely different to the amount you paid .......

You need to ring your local trading standards ASAP 

I wouldn't part with the money until the car was ready and sorted. I bought a used car from the local village garage, I wanted a new mot, service ,underseal and some minor scratches filled and painted. they agreed to all of this in the asking price. I said I would pay a deposit and they declined saying I could pay in full when its ready, two weeks later the car was ready, everything I asked for was done and I paid. Old school service. they even fixed an air con fault 4 months after purchase for free, even though it came with 3 months warranty.

Quite lucky that you didn't put down a deposit stu64 - if you had changed your mind about the car (maybe found a better one for less money) you would be legally bound to buy the car you had the deposit on - if the garage were feeling generous they might have just kept your deposit but a deposit constitutes a legally binding contract  that you intend to buy.

I work in retail and understand the implications of putting down a deposit, but the point is the verbal agreement would have to be honoured on their part before I paid the rest of the money. The car was a good price (checking against nationwide prices) so I was always going to buy that one. 

On 03/12/2019 at 20:50, kenholland said:

I think they watch too much of Arthur dayley , out of minder , would you buy a car of this man, I don't think so , these type of people are still out there be warned after reading this.

This is a huge showroom with best part of 1000 cars over two sites, not really a back street dealer

On 04/12/2019 at 15:48, stu64 said:

I wouldn't part with the money until the car was ready and sorted. I bought a used car from the local village garage, I wanted a new mot, service ,underseal and some minor scratches filled and painted. they agreed to all of this in the asking price. I said I would pay a deposit and they declined saying I could pay in full when its ready, two weeks later the car was ready, everything I asked for was done and I paid. Old school service. they even fixed an air con fault 4 months after purchase for free, even though it came with 3 months warranty.

As I already mentioned, they are very cleaver in their sales technique, they arrange a handover day with an appointment with their handover team, after being told on the phone it 100% ready and looking like new. They have a very glitzy showroom with hundreds of expensive very clean polished cars and that is how i expected mine to be after all why wouldn’t it? You get sat at a nice desk and asked nicely to pay the balance so they can present you with your new car, obviously that’s not always what you get!! 

A little update to say eventually i was paid back in full for the car, they have also let me keep their courtesy car for the time being as a gesture of goodwill which I think is the least they could do.

As a side note, i was repaid by BCA or the British Car Auctions. I think this must mean that Sw car supermarket doesn’t actually own any of their stock and are simply selling cars on behalf of the auctioneers before they even get to auction.

i can only advise anyone on here to steer well clear of them in the future!!