Sign in to follow this  
Walker570

Non toxic

I know there was that Promethus thingy with a plastic skirt way back when but has any manufactuer designed an alternative to lead for pellets as we known them ?

Not any that work particularly  well .

They are all too light and hard  

There was a push about 3 years ago with most manufacturers  making lead free pellets  .

Most have either stopped or massivley reduced production . No one bought any cos they dont work  

Of course the Americans are into bigger things and have been experimenting with 25 and 30 cal solid lead slugs and various other mixes. I always thought the skirt was the important bit being expanded by the air pressure to grip the rifling. It is finding something as soft as lead which will do just that I suppose....plus the weight isue as well.

I ask because I shoot around cow sheds and silage pits etc and the problem of lead contamination is a concern.

There are tin and copper pellets. Some did dally years ago with a polymer tungsten powder pellet but costs were too high.