Old but not dead.....yet

islandgun

yeah ...he is very well known ...wing commander ...ken wallis...held several records with auto giros.......................lived in norfolk inbetween swaffham and dereham..........he was in a couple of james bond films..

Edited by ditchman

9 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'd love a go (with training of course) of that!

Well Steve they are all parked up safely in Bedfordshire, get your PPL application in and get saving, you could be flying world famous Wallis Auto-gyro's some time soon!

It is NOT a helicopter!

think he died about 5-6 years ago............he wanted to go into production with one of his machines....i think he made about 8-10 different types....but had a problem with the liecensing CAA...........or something like that

he was a very prolific inventor....made most of his own stuff in a garage or his shed.........

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

think he died about 5-6 years ago............he wanted to go into production with one of his machines....i think he made about 8-10 different types....but had a problem with the liecensing CAA...........or something like that

he was a very prolific inventor....made most of his own stuff in a garage or his shed.........

1st September 2013

34 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'd love a go (with training of course) of that!

Yes you could imagine him going weeeeeee as he swooped over the tree tops 

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thats a shame, it was on FB this morning so i thought it was a new thing. RIp old gent 

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

apparently ...i have been told...by someone in the know ...they are very very easy to fly..........i know one of ken wallis tricks was to fly by with no hands on the controls leaning back pretending to be asleep........at about 20-30ft..........

They are.  I learned to fly a gyrocopter years ago.  Back then there was a glitch in the legislation that you could only fly solo so all early tandem training was on a gyro with no engine that got towed up and down the runway on a rope (protected inside a hosepipe) tied to the back of a landy, we called it the flying bed frame. After a few hours of that, it was ‘you’re in your own now ‘. Great fun to fly, and fairly safe due to the rotors not being powered - less to go wrong so to speak.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

They are.  I learned to fly a gyrocopter years ago.  Back then there was a glitch in the legislation that you could only fly solo so all early tandem training was on a gyro with no engine that got towed up and down the runway on a rope (protected inside a hosepipe) tied to the back of a landy, we called it the flying bed frame. After a few hours of that, it was ‘you’re in your own now ‘. Great fun to fly, and fairly safe due to the rotors not being powered - less to go wrong so to speak.

why dont we see more of them in the sky as hobby craft ?

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

why dont we see more of them in the sky as hobby craft ?

I can’t answer that for anyone else, in my case it was because I split up with the daughter of the guy who owned the Gyrocopter 😂.  I should have treated that lass better!