Reducing speed of a 3v - 4.5v motor!

Lord Geordie

Guys I have been given the task of repairing a Christmas decoration! It’s a rotating tree that plays music and the lights flash. It’s rotated by a small 3v or so motor which is geared through a worm drive system. It’s currently turning so fast it almost thrown the decorations off the damn tree! It’s more spin dryer than calming tree! Can I simply for a PWM controller between the power feed and the motor? 

thanks 

23 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Guys I have been given the task of repairing a Christmas decoration! It’s a rotating tree that plays music and the lights flash. It’s rotated by a small 3v or so motor which is geared through a worm drive system. It’s currently turning so fast it almost thrown the decorations off the damn tree! It’s more spin dryer than calming tree! Can I simply for a PWM controller between the power feed and the motor? 

thanks 

try this  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3V-35V-12V-24V-PWM-DC-5A-Motor-Speed-Controller-Adjustable-Switch-LED-Fan-Dimmer/312535660228?epid=755474423&hash=item48

2 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

If it's a simple DC motor then the speed is controlled by the voltage. So give it less volts and it will go slower. Either by providing less voltage or introducing a resistor to cause a voltage drop.

Can’t lower the voltage at source as it also powers a PCB which controls LED, and music. I believe the only way is to tap into the motor feed post PCB. I had thought about a resistor but that will also affect torque. Hence the PWM controller idea. 

3 hours ago, Saltings said:

Thanks, found one for under £1.12 so took a punt on that. Never heard anything like this motor. I greased the gears in the small gearbox but the racket it makes is so loud it drowns out the music. The motor is far too fast for the intended purpose. I have a few other slow geared motors, but they will not retrofit due to their layout. The only option is to slow the existing motor down. Should be interesting playing with the speed controller.

12 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

Thanks, found one for under £1.12 so took a punt on that. Never heard anything like this motor. I greased the gears in the small gearbox but the racket it makes is so loud it drowns out the music. The motor is far too fast for the intended purpose. I have a few other slow geared motors, but they will not retrofit due to their layout. The only option is to slow the existing motor down. Should be interesting playing with the speed controller.

The PWM controllers normally work well - I've used several different types in my case annealing machines. However with your little 3v motor you may find that there's not really enough load to modulate properly. If minimum speed is still too fast you might try putting something like a car stop light in series with the motor to give it something to work with.