Christmas cancelled

Davyo

Wow there are some mixed feelings on here, as far as I'm concerned Christmas is for your kids, not sure how you can't be bothered when you have an 8 year old, if I told my daughter we weren't bothering this year she'd be devastated. 

Personally having a nice roast the kids opening some presents and a nice family day is great, I banned the in laws a while ago,  and rushing off to see people half an hour after dinner, relax and enjoy your family. 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

The worst thing is though that since we moved up, Christmas hasn't been for our kids - it has all been for the wife's family.

Ban them now, say it's just you this year, possibly invite them round for drinks later. 

Also we stopped the pointless gift buying years ago between brothers sisters etc, we all buy for each other's kids, but vouchers as they get older, why put yourself through it when you've no real idea what people want or need.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still like it we put up the tree and decks only in the living room , none of the over the top outdoor stuff , little un is sixteen now so a non believer , I love coming in night time and the tree lights are on tv on , on stand by for work over Christmas and new year but not a big drinker etc so not too bothered all goes well won’t go in , 

will have to agree that it is getting too commercial with all these Sales before during and after  , and some of the adverts this time of year do get on my t@@ts 

2 hours ago, discobob said:

I can't stand Christmas since we moved close to the wife's family. Now we have had the in laws every Christmas for 15 years despite my wife having a sister and two step brothers. My F-I-L walks in, sits down and hogs the remote - being unable to watch anything longer than 5 minutes without him changing the channel is really irritating, and the wife is in the kitchen with the M-I-L telling her what to do. Then Boxing day, we have the rest of the wife's vulture family turn up - with nothing in hand - expecting food and drink, and then usually another time around New Year they all turn up again - still with nothing in their hands.

It really irritates me how they all buy (c@rp) presents for my wife whereas she has spent time and effort finding something particular for each of them (all the way down to grand-nephews and nieces). The worst is the M-I-L, she buys the same present for my wife and S-I-L, like she does on their birthday which they share (although there are 6 years between them).

The worst thing is though that since we moved up, Christmas hasn't been for our kids - it has all been for the wife's family.

Regarding the TV, we don't have an open fire so we connect the TV to YouTube and they have several videos of open fires that are an hour or more long, including the crackles and pops of the fire. Very cosy but means you have to talk 😁

10 hours ago, mickyh said:

Bit of a shame for Ben ?

Merry Xmas !

Ben's never been bothered for about 2yrs now.Last xmas he didn't even open anything  till tea time. Didn't even crawl out of the pit till lunchtime.To be fair he gets loads of stuff bought for him throughout the year so by xmas there is nothing he really wants.He has outgrown his MTB, so I have arranged for new downhill bike to be at Hamsterly forest on the 25th that he doesn't know about. (mum doesn't know about the bank statement lol)

Edited by Davyo

13 hours ago, Davyo said:

Ben's never been bothered for about 2yrs now.Last xmas he didn't even open anything  till tea time. Didn't even crawl out of the pit till lunchtime.To be fair he gets loads of stuff bought for him throughout the year so by xmas there is nothing he really wants.He has outgrown his MTB, so I have arranged for new downhill bike to be at Hamsterly forest on the 25th that he doesn't know about. (mum doesn't know about the bank statement lol)

Nice one.

That'll make his day.

For a retro perspective, me and siblings fondly remember Christmas celebrations with maternal grandparents, all family 15 or so around an extended table with a laden shelf made of a wrapping papered scaffold plank down the centre. Huge lunch followed by tea 4 hours later and family games. Memories so vivid  now we are grateful for all the effort they made. So, I try and make memories now for 60 years time!!!

Mainly though, thankful for the Christ in Christmas.

Happy Christmas to all.

Gdadphil

1 hour ago, gdadphil said:

For a retro perspective, me and siblings fondly remember Christmas celebrations with maternal grandparents, all family 15 or so around an extended table with a laden shelf made of a wrapping papered scaffold plank down the centre. Huge lunch followed by tea 4 hours later and family games. Memories so vivid  now we are grateful for all the effort they made. So, I try and make memories now for 60 years time!!!

Mainly though, thankful for the Christ in Christmas.

Happy Christmas to all.

Gdadphil

I don’t believe in any Christ but I do believe as you say about making memories.

all my grandparents are gone and my sister, I remember my grandad sitting at the table having a cider. First and only time he drank in front of me. 
I also remember not knowing they’d all turned up with the rest of the family and I’d been upstairs with a girl I’d met . They heard the lot. My grandad was laughing/smiling. Happy memories :) 

It occurs to me that making Christmas all about the kids may be a mistake. Unless you have a personal reason to dislike or get upset at Christmas (and I acknowledge that some do) if you neglect your adult self because of your children, you're saving up problems for the long term. Look at empty-nesters who suddenly realise now the kids have left home there's not much to do. 

I enjoyed Christmas as a child and I still enjoy it now. I like the time away from work and the chance to cook and eat some special food, see family and friends and see out the year. I've always enjoyed giving presents more than getting them and I'm trying to instil this is my son, who has never been 'grabby' and I believe shares my philosophy. 

As has been said, turning off the TV is a good start. Then go shooting. 

It will be different christmas this year to the one we expected. We moved out of our house in May to have an extention built, it was due to be finished by mid December and both of sets of parents were coming to us. The house is nowhere near finished, we're now looking at mid feb before moving back. Had to tell everyone the bad news a month or so ago. Now me, the wife and kids 6 and 9 years old, are now going to my parents for the day. I'm also now at risk of redundancy with the process due to conclude on 23rd December. Its been a pretty stressful year all in all. 

On a brighter note after years of suffering I recently started Cognative Behavourial Therapy for Stress and Anxiety, whilst it's early days and despite the house and work issues, I feel more positive about life than I have done in a long time. Im really looking forward to Christmas now.

I hope you all have a good festive period with whatever you do.

20 hours ago, Retsdon said:

But then he'd have to talk to them!

that is soooooooo true :D . I didn't really know my wife's family as we met overseas - by the time I did it was too late!! I love her dearly - but somehow she feels guilty that we are "better off" than them - however I look at it as it has been their choice and I have worked and still work bloody hard for what we have now!!!

19 hours ago, henry d said:

Regarding the TV, we don't have an open fire so we connect the TV to YouTube and they have several videos of open fires that are an hour or more long, including the crackles and pops of the fire. Very cosy but means you have to talk 😁

Ill do that and hide the remote - he won't know what to do with himself

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

It occurs to me that making Christmas all about the kids may be a mistake. Unless you have a personal reason to dislike or get upset at Christmas (and I acknowledge that some do) if you neglect your adult self because of your children, you're saving up problems for the long term. Look at empty-nesters who suddenly realise now the kids have left home there's not much to do. 

I enjoyed Christmas as a child and I still enjoy it now. I like the time away from work and the chance to cook and eat some special food, see family and friends and see out the year. I've always enjoyed giving presents more than getting them and I'm trying to instil this is my son, who has never been 'grabby' and I believe shares my philosophy. 

As has been said, turning off the TV is a good start. Then go shooting. 

I do understand you there Thunderbird - I'm also afraid that that my wife is going to suffer from both ends - when her parents go and also when the kids go!!! I don't have much family on my side - and I was kicked out of home at 16 - then I joined up so for me my wife and my kids are everything. TBH the kids are 14 & 16 so they are up in the rooms online with their friends. For me, I wish there was somewhere I could go and shoot on Christmas Day for an hour or two :D

My word 

some mixed views here

its a time of celebration nice food overindulgence and time for sharing and catching up with family 

Christmas gifts should be just that !!

a gift that you know the recipient will enjoy 
no need to go into hock buying up half the town to moan about how much ££££ Christmas cost 

turn the tv off get all the relatives helping prepare the meal   
glass of sherry and a cracker party hats on and a board game while it’s cooking 

above all enjoy your time together even if it’s a lot of effort 

wishing you all a great time and a very merry Christmas 

all the best 

of 

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

My word 

some mixed views here

its a time of celebration nice food overindulgence and time for sharing and catching up with family 

Christmas gifts should be just that !!

a gift that you know the recipient will enjoy 
no need to go into hock buying up half the town to moan about how much ££££ Christmas cost 

turn the tv off get all the relatives helping prepare the meal   
glass of sherry and a cracker party hats on and a board game while it’s cooking 

above all enjoy your time together even if it’s a lot of effort 

wishing you all a great time and a very merry Christmas 

all the best 

of 

Well said that man . Merry Christmas to everyone , even you miserable old **** that don't believe in santa 🎅.

Edited by mel b3

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

One channel at a time, lay on the floor,  sounds like fun to watch,  he wouldn't be channel hopping then

My Ex wife has a Cousin who would appear with his family and take over. :big_boss:

He would lay on the floor, head in his hands in front of the TV and would "own" the remote!:rolleyes:

Had some interesting Christmas breaks at the in laws, some great arguments too, like a spoilt child when you take the remote away!:lol:

On 05/12/2019 at 15:37, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What if he gets up from the sofa and uses the manual controls?

Keep the real remote in your pocket and keep turning it off 🤣. Walk over and give the tele a bang and say its knackered !

Tell nobody of your xmas game though 👍 if nothing else itll cheer him  up inside