Christmas cancelled

Davyo

Christmas was fun as child, as my parents died and not having any kids myself its just a ton of fuss for two days of not a lot.

Working in technical sales support international companies it always seems to be the case that countries with predominate religions that don't observe the Christmas - New Year break of the west always seem to want complex bids turned around in double quick time.  I try to have as much of the second half of December off as possible.  

Christmas as a bi-annual event, every other year - yeah that'll do for me.   Anyone else fancy it? 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2019 at 13:33, discobob said:

I can't stand Christmas since we moved close to the wife's family. Now we have had the in laws every Christmas for 15 years despite my wife having a sister and two step brothers. My F-I-L walks in, sits down and hogs the remote - being unable to watch anything longer than 5 minutes without him changing the channel is really irritating, and the wife is in the kitchen with the M-I-L telling her what to do. Then Boxing day, we have the rest of the wife's vulture family turn up - with nothing in hand - expecting food and drink, and then usually another time around New Year they all turn up again - still with nothing in their hands.

It really irritates me how they all buy (c@rp) presents for my wife whereas she has spent time and effort finding something particular for each of them (all the way down to grand-nephews and nieces). The worst is the M-I-L, she buys the same present for my wife and S-I-L, like she does on their birthday which they share (although there are 6 years between them).

The worst thing is though that since we moved up, Christmas hasn't been for our kids - it has all been for the wife's family.

Well the father in law has been here 20 minutes and he up to channel 406 on Sky By flicking up every channel - MIL is ruling the roost in the kitchen!!!

2 hours ago, discobob said:

Well the father in law has been here 20 minutes and he up to channel 406 on Sky By flicking up every channel - MIL is ruling the roost in the kitchen!!!

Man up, unplug the telly and remind them it's your house, or get absolutely hammered and start insulting them?? 

4 hours ago, discobob said:

Discobob You love it, or you wouldn't let it happen. 

All my family we had for Christmas lunch and dinner have not long left. Been a great day with my little grandson seeing him open his presents, get a sugar rush of sneaking chocolates into his mouth.ong tiring day but this is the part of Christmas I enjoy.

Well my 2 grandkids stayed in Oslo for xmas this year its the first one in there new house..

But they waited till they could call me they are (1 hour ahead ) as they tried twice but i was in the shower any way got hold of me 10 am our time on the pc FaceTime 

so they could open there presents so in a way it was like having them here..( opening all presents but no mess for me to pick up ) 🤩

By 11.15am they had opened all pressies so i went to my brothers for xmas dinner and they rang me there to speak to there uncle and aunty..

First time i have not had them here since they were born was a bit lonely last night so first time in months had an early night was in bed by 10-30  😴😴

On 09/12/2019 at 14:43, Vince Green said:

Working in America years ago Christmas was just one day off work and a lot of businesses stayed open anyway

so it did in england

23 hours ago, Mice! said:

Man up, unplug the telly and remind them it's your house, or get absolutely hammered and start insulting them?? 

dont get hammerd but still insult them its better

2 hours ago, hawkeye said:

Well my 2 grandkids stayed in Oslo for xmas this year its the first one in there new house..

But they waited till they could call me they are (1 hour ahead ) as they tried twice but i was in the shower any way got hold of me 10 am our time on the pc FaceTime 

so they could open there presents so in a way it was like having them here..( opening all presents but no mess for me to pick up ) 🤩

By 11.15am they had opened all pressies so i went to my brothers for xmas dinner and they rang me there to speak to there uncle and aunty..

First time i have not had them here since they were born was a bit lonely last night so first time in months had an early night was in bed by 10-30  😴😴

Well you didn’t miss anything on the goggle box hawkeye! :no:

It actually ended up not too bad in the end - food was at 3pm then it was tipping point quiz game and then they got off at 5.30pm which was a record - previously it has been as early as 11 and leaving at 8...

I WAS watching Lost in space on Netflix but just before they arrive I had a call of nature and when I came back he had already got the eldest lad to flick back to Sky

I’ve had a great Christmas! Yesterday was at the in-laws and today my two kids came round for another Christmas dinner, having had one with their Mother yesterday.

We had a fabulous dinner, stuffed ourselves to bursting point, played silly party games, had trifle, watched tv, are some other stuff, played cards, watched a bit of tv, are something else, then I took them home after a really good day. 👍🙂

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve had a great Christmas! Yesterday was at the in-laws and today my two kids came round for another Christmas dinner, having had one with their Mother yesterday.

We had a fabulous dinner, stuffed ourselves to bursting point, played silly party games, had trifle, watched tv, are some other stuff, played cards, watched a bit of tv, are something else, then I took them home after a really good day. 👍🙂

this is why i can never understand it  when people say they hate this time and would rather go to work

Had my missus rushed into hospital on 24th with gallstone infection so had every day a 4hr roundtrip to hospital with the visit. Really got nowt done otherwise, my boxing day dinner was a chinese buffet. Oh well she is now showing good result after a stent was fitted.

Edited by bavarianbrit
comma

Just the two of us now, family lives miles away, just another day where you eat more than than you need to come up with the usual turkey, trimmings, christmas pud and mince
pies etc.
The Mrs won't allow me fish and chips and the Queen's speech doesn't get listened to anymore.
Even watching Humphrey Bogart in the 'African Queen' has worn thin.

Humbug😩

18 hours ago, Scully said:

We went out with in-laws yesterday,  boxing day at the pub, 20 odd went at Easter,  12 yesterday and it was terrible something wrong with most of the food,  service was terrible,  we ended up asking for the manager before desserts could possibly eventually be brought out.

The Lancaster Bomber on draft was excellent, despite the pub being shockingly bad it was a great day out with family,  but I've eaten far too much rich stuff,  so tomato soup for tea.