Specificity of applied for calibre

yeet

Hello again,

I was wondering whats the deal with applying for a .30-06, how specific must I be when applying for the .30-06 can I put .30 or must I put .30-06.

Also would it be cheeky to ask for the conditions for use of previous firearms to be modified, I would like the phrase AOLQ to be added to all of my current firearms as I'm very restricted when out with a gun specified for fox and see a rabbit.....

Oh one more, an open license, do i just say I would like one in the continuation sheet or do I do something else, the reason for opening the license is that the land my flock is on changes throughout the years between different pieces of land off the main 200 acres of the farm and if there's a fox/rabbit problem I cant really do anything without the police having a look which isn't very practical as the fields change every year, I asked this last time in a previous variation but nothing was ever said about it.

Thanks

How specific you have to be depends on your firearms licensing manager. Some would be happy with .30, others want .30-06. Some even think .30-06 is bigger than .30 and .308 is bigger than . 30-06.  Some think a .300 Win mag is smaller than .308. On my initial application (long ago) I asked for ‘one bolt action rifle between the calibres of .243 and .308’, as I was unsure what I might buy.

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

How specific you have to be depends on your firearms licensing manager. Some would be happy with .30, others want .30-06. Some even think .30-06 is bigger than .30 and .308 is bigger than . 30-06.  Some think a .300 Win mag is smaller than .308. On my initial application (long ago) I asked for ‘one bolt action rifle between the calibres of .243 and .308’, as I was unsure what I might buy.

True about the manager, I'll try the calibre between x and y, just dont want the hassle of endless phone calls asking what I mean by this.

I suggest you have a word with them first. Some years ago I filled in a form online for the first time and neatly typed .300 rather than .30. I later discovered that this meant I could acquire anything that was ".300" from a .300 Sherwood to a .300 Weatherby Magnum but not a .308 or .30-06 even though of course the actual calibre (the hole in the barrel) is the same for pretty much all .30 cartridges. Having decided on .308 rather than .30-06 I then applied for a specific variation from .300 to .308.

In the same way the Norfolk/Suffolk people who are very efficient in many ways will authorise a 7mm rifle which can be 7 x 57, 7 x 64, 7mm STW etc. It's all easy if you know their rules.

As with most things, the Home Office 'Guide on Firearms Licensing Law' answers your question :

10.8 Applicants are required to enter the calibre and type of firearm(s) and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. The information will normally need to be specific and not cover a range of calibres or a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire)

With regards to open ticket, how long have you had the license, what calibres for how long. Mine I've had 5 years, CF for three of them, both rimmies open, CF still restricted.. Seems I've not enough experience. Yet a 22lr I have open licence, yet can be as deadly as my 243 and bounce anywhere ... Depends in the day and the person deciding I guess. 

8 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

With regards to open ticket, how long have you had the license, what calibres for how long. Mine I've had 5 years, CF for three of them, both rimmies open, CF still restricted.. Seems I've not enough experience. Yet a 22lr I have open licence, yet can be as deadly as my 243 and bounce anywhere ... Depends in the day and the person deciding I guess. 

I had 223 for 4 years and 243 2 years before renewal and I’m all open . 
my round count was around 1000 on 223 and 400 on 243 . Maybe that was why ??? .

as you say if your an idiot with a 22lr you can kill just as many people. 

I feel when people get ground passed to 22lr they think they can shoot any direction because it’s passed

Dont forget  you personally, are also being assest. Judging on you knowledge and suitability. 

I've been lucky enough to have 2 calibers accepted by just puting exactly that down on the application. 

When questioned regarding what calibre i just explained nicely the definition.

Edited by Dougy

19 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I've had my firearms certificate for just over a year now with 3 22rfs, 1 17WSM, 1 223, 1 fac air rifle, 1 .44 magnum and 1 section 1 shotgun, I was told by the FEO that my license could be opened up with 1 year of owning firearms, I was just wondering how to go about doing it. They were a little bit sketchy with me only being 19 and having cf's whilst not being part of a club.

13 hours ago, Muddy Funker said:

Just add a cover letter regarding the open license request. 

I did this last time and nothing was ever said about it, also in my cover letter was more in depth reasoning why I wanted a section 1 shotgun but they still called me and asked to explain making me think that they don't bother to read cover letters.

On 05/12/2019 at 11:34, team tractor said:

I’m always lost on the passing of ground. Mines passed upto 243 but it’s just as dangerous as a 308 in reality.

i had a chicken farm passed to 22hornet right next to a golf course.

another lad I know got it passed 22lr.

I think ground should just be passed on either rf or cf&rf, theres no need to be so anal about calibre

22 minutes ago, yeet said:

I've had my firearms certificate for just over a year now with 3 22rfs, 1 17WSM, 1 223, 1 fac air rifle, 1 .44 magnum and 1 section 1 shotgun, I was told by the FEO that my license could be opened up with 1 year of owning firearms, I was just wondering how to go about doing it. They were a little bit sketchy with me only being 19 and having cf's whilst not being part of a club.

Well it again goes to show that every constabulary is different, I couldn't have CF at first application, and then had to go on an awareness course so I could have. I have also worked for the force in question so am SC cleared too. 

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Well it again goes to show that every constabulary is different, I couldn't have CF at first application, and then had to go on an awareness course so I could have. I have also worked for the force in question so am SC cleared too. 

Yeah, Somerset seem okay with granting firearms but they take an awful long time. I just hope they don't make me take DSC1 for some reason

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I had to do the awareness course, did it at ivythorn in Street. Now they've not opened my ticket. Hey ho, it is what it is

Yeah I did the same thing at Ivythorn too before they let me get any cf, hopefully they means they'll open my ticket. Thanks so much for mentioning that otherwise I would've forgotten to put it in.

On 08/12/2019 at 00:27, yeet said:

Yeah I did the same thing at Ivythorn too before they let me get any cf, hopefully they means they'll open my ticket. Thanks so much for mentioning that otherwise I would've forgotten to put it in.

Have you had them the full 5 years? That should mean you're fine. 3 years fir me on cf, 5 on rf. So rf open cf restricted still... 

58 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Have you had them the full 5 years? That should mean you're fine. 3 years fir me on cf, 5 on rf. So rf open cf restricted still... 

I've had my FAC for just over a year but with the Ivythorn thingy and the amount of shooting I do I think I'll be okay with getting it opened up. 

1 hour ago, yeet said:

I've had my FAC for just over a year but with the Ivythorn thingy and the amount of shooting I do I think I'll be okay with getting it opened up. 

Ivythorn thing means nothing to them bud, had that convo. My response was if I'm out and see nothing I don't take a shot, if I go out for a deer, I'm looking at one shot, fox maybe 3 in an evening if I see them. But if its not a safe shot I won't take it, if I'm not happy with conditions etc I won't take it... What's experience, shooting hundreds or knowing when to not take the shot. 

17 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Ivythorn thing means nothing to them bud, had that convo. My response was if I'm out and see nothing I don't take a shot, if I go out for a deer, I'm looking at one shot, fox maybe 3 in an evening if I see them. But if its not a safe shot I won't take it, if I'm not happy with conditions etc I won't take it... What's experience, shooting hundreds or knowing when to not take the shot. 

Had a chat with them yesterday and they're happy to go ahead and give me an open certificate, you've just got to know what to say :) 

23 hours ago, yeet said:

Had mine opened after 18 months. To be fair it was a long time ago. I was putting a lot of lead down the barrel and obviously still am. Mate of mine and shooting buddy of here had his opened after a few years. To be fair to him he shot more in them years than most would do in decade.

If they could get there turnaround time on renewals applications it would be nice