Local council emergency call out

guzzicat

Elgin couple called local council emergency hot line, reason ? the female saw a  wait for  it    MOUSE! they could have been nibbled in their beds! do these people think the world revolves around them ?the local B&Q would have sold them a handful of their excellent rodent destruction devices (mousetraps to you & I ) But no doubpt about it easier to phone the hot line after all that is why their housing benefit gets paid ! Pre xmas rant over.

One of my step daughters is a housing officer for the local council. People phone the council because a light bulb needs changing or the battery has gone in the door bell. When she says they need to change it themselves, the reaction is OK if you send me the bulb I will change it but I'm not buying it.

One christmas / new year  I was on duty and got a phone call  from an officers wife in married quarters saying their downstairs  toilet was blocked and wanted me to call out an emergency plumber ( at vast expense ! )

I said "downstairs toilet !  Does that mean you have an upstairs one ?"

"yes but we have guests staying" she replies

"see you in the new year!" I said and put the phone down 😀

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:45, Vince Green said:

One of my step daughters is a housing officer for the local council. People phone the council because a light bulb needs changing or the battery has gone in the door bell. When she says they need to change it themselves, the reaction is OK if you send me the bulb I will change it but I'm not buying it.

I used to work in the social housing sector, the company had a big push on bathroom lighting being up to new standards and promptly ordered hundreds if not thousands of new bathroom lights that are waterproof, the only problem with them was the bulbs weren't available from the likes of Tesco or home base, only from electrical whole salers for about £15 a pop, this is a bit much for a lightbulb let alone all the kerfuffle of trying to fit the damn thing, they don't just unscrew, the lens has three screws, then a rubber seal, then another couple of hidden screws holding the bulb in place, a bit much for an 80 yr old widow, so it's not all their fault.

1 hour ago, Paddy Galore! said:

I used to work in the social housing sector, the company had a big push on bathroom lighting being up to new standards and promptly ordered hundreds if not thousands of new bathroom lights that are waterproof, the only problem with them was the bulbs weren't available from the likes of Tesco or home base, only from electrical whole salers for about £15 a pop, this is a bit much for a lightbulb let alone all the kerfuffle of trying to fit the damn thing, they don't just unscrew, the lens has three screws, then a rubber seal, then another couple of hidden screws holding the bulb in place, a bit much for an 80 yr old widow, so it's not all their fault.

What about when they phone up and say some body broke in and stole the washing machine?  Because they have sold it on Gumtree? I'll tell you what happens - nothing, that's what. They get a new washing machine. Because housing officers cannot accuse the tenant, no matter how implausible the story, of lying.

I don't think I would last a week doing that job, mind you for £42,000 a year (which is what a housing officer gets) I think I would learn to bite my lip 

On 04/12/2019 at 16:22, spurs 14 said:

That’s the problem these days , gone is the generations that sorted things out themselves , as you say buy a mousetrap , the local Bobby clipping the ears of kids , now it’s “ I want someone to do this for me ! Why should I do it ! “ 

Its not so much that the local bobby clipped the ears of the local kids. Yes he did but it was because he was a daily presence in the village and if you accepted it as a warning it didn't get back to your Dad and it didn't go on the sheet. win/win  but most important the kids knew the score and their own limitations.

We could do with more of that today

21 hours ago, Vince Green said:

What about when they phone up and say some body broke in and stole the washing machine?  Because they have sold it on Gumtree? I'll tell you what happens - nothing, that's what. They get a new washing machine. Because housing officers cannot accuse the tenant, no matter how implausible the story, of lying.

I don't think I would last a week doing that job, mind you for £42,000 a year (which is what a housing officer gets) I think I would learn to bite my lip 

why would the council/ HA payout for another washing machine? it's the tenants responsibility to insure their own stuff surely

my least favourite call out was black mould clean ups, around this time of year it's rife, but people don't like to be told it's their fault, drying clothes inside, selotaping up the trickle vents etc etc, but basically just down to poor hygiene and lazy bones syndrome

2 hours ago, Paddy Galore! said:

why would the council/ HA payout for another washing machine? it's the tenants responsibility to insure their own stuff surely

Asylum seekers have to, by law, be provided with adequate, full and working housing that can be lived in from day one. So they get all the mod cons, fridge, freezer washing machine, TV,  kettle, toaster, cutlery, crockery , pots, pans, bedding, towels etc waiting for them when they walk through the door.

The assumption being that they have arrived in this country with nothing and once they say the magic word "Asylum" they are legally guests of the British Govt and have to be given proper and adequate housing they can live in. And, of course, its all free

So there is no choice, once the magic word has been uttered 

That's the law, every asylum seeker gets it, plus social services provide clothing, shoes, coats etc . Plus more benefits than an equivalent unemployed British family because its worked out a different way.

All those people you see getting fished out of inflatables on the South Coast this summer or dragged out from lorries at a motorway services  are all well prepared. They all invoke "asylum" like a mantra.

Housing associations in the South of England are pulling their hair out trying to cope with it all. Asylum applications went up 21%  in 2019 compared to 2018  and remember an application can be an individual  or a family of ten. Also, once an application is made other family members more or less get waved in past immigration to join them.(European court of human rights - the right to family life) 

Edited by Vince Green