Staffordshire

Joebrock

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

whats Doveridge actually like? Quite like the look from the website but not sure if it's worth 1.5 hr drive

I recently went with my son for the first time. He shoots there occasionally.

Near on 2 hours for us.  For me not easy as I don't walk well and a lot of hill climbing. That said, it's very well run, professional and very few no birds. We both shot the maximum on the single pay and play card, 500. I took my flask, cartridge bag and shooting stick as well as my normal adapted for shooting and rough ground walking stick up the hills so could rest. There's also a very testing and rewarding high tower that's almost a must. We didn't cover everything they have to offer.

In short, well worth the effort for us for a full day out.

Gun shop and staff good but pricey. Cafe very reasonable. 

The hill a Doveridge is not to bad, unless you go up to the high pheasant stand. There is a new incoming stand in the valley that's recently been upgraded. 

Both Doveridge and Oakedge are top of the game grounds. Oakedge had some big comp there recently. 

Millride is set in what appears to be a small quarry for the sporting and skeet/dtl, they also have a compact setup and snooker, although I don't know if they are on all the time. 

Basford on the other hand, I was looking for a sherpa and oxygen tanks. 😳😂 Cracking ground though, some very testing birds. 

Think me and a mate are going Basford boxing day, walk some turkey off 🦃😳and we'll be at Penkridge Sunday 29th. 

I did Millride in the summer and wasn’t that impressed, it’s too many stands in too small a space for me - lots of clays crossing all over the place and hard to keep track of your targets, we definitely poached a few off others by mistake and definitely had some of ours shot by someone else

might well try Doveridge over Christmas then, like going to different grounds to keep it interesting

7 hours ago, manthing said:

Hodnet, Millride. 

Sunday shoots at Penkridge, Lower Penn, Bloxwich and Basford. 

Where are you?

I'm  in Stone so all are within a reasonable distance so will have a look at them, thank you. 

5 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

whats Doveridge actually like? Quite like the look from the website but not sure if it's worth 1.5 hr drive

Have used Doveridge a few times, I personally prefer Oakedge, but I am always looking for somewhere new to try 

Yes Oakedge is due to start registered shots again in January with Steve Lovatt setting the targets so it should be good. 

You also have Garlands near Telford and Kegworth off Junc 24of the M1. Also Yeavely is worth a visit but only 50 bird and fibres only. 

I’m along the road in Stoke and these are all within 45 minutes or so. 

On 20/12/2019 at 14:54, salop sniper said:

Worgs and Hilton Gun clubs off the M6

A little further away is Haimwood (Fibre only)

On a Tuesday evening you also have a little shoot at Long lane on the A442 at the MOTO - X track, its "straw baler" but still an option.

Any idea what the one At long lane is called mate 

On 16/12/2019 at 20:29, The Mighty Prawn said:

I did Millride in the summer and wasn’t that impressed, it’s too many stands in too small a space for me - lots of clays crossing all over the place and hard to keep track of your targets, we definitely poached a few off others by mistake and definitely had some of ours shot by someone elsemight well try Doveridge over Christmas then, like going to different grounds to keep it interesting

Mighty Prawn,Have you tried Cannon Clay Club at Harvington ,not far from you.?

8 hours ago, A.R.P. said:

Mighty Prawn,Have you tried Cannon Clay Club at Harvington ,not far from you.?

Yes indeed, that was where I had my first ever lesson! It’s a nice little shoot but I find some of the gun handling a little ‘loose’ for my liking - got swept with a loaded semi once and saw some guys with an old side by side shooting from the hip! Horses for courses and all that but it only takes one mistake and a serious accident is inevitable

On 20/12/2019 at 14:54, salop sniper said:

Worgs and Hilton Gun clubs off the M6

A little further away is Haimwood (Fibre only)

On a Tuesday evening you also have a little shoot at Long lane on the A442 at the MOTO - X track, its "straw baler" but still an option.

Hi when did Haimwood go fibre only , it's a couple of years since I have been there , got on well with  mark and Julie .

1 hour ago, Raw and wriggley said:

Must be over six months now since fibre only but still going strong

They are lovely people , is the lad next door still helping out , I forgot his name , very pleasant he was . I believe one of the lads on here , his parents  live next door . Ben the jockey if I remember  right .