Traditional side by side

Lloyd90

Aside from my last thread about which rifle you would buy for around £1000... I am wondering what traditional side by side would also be considered. 

I recently saw a mate's 16 bore SxS on our shoot, it was a George Bates with a side plate and my god it was a real beauty of a gun. I have a SP 12 and 20 bore, a spanish master SxS which is choked 1/2 and full, however have dropped some proper long birds with that bad boy! 

My Mrs has said she would consider a gun for xmas (lucky boy) however I still have no idea what to ask for. I have a slot for a 308 (hence asking about the rifles) ... except since getting the dog and being very into training him I have barely picked up the rifles and have had some very good rough shooting. Next year when I am not on this bloody course for work I am hoping to take some time off for work and head over to Ireland for some shooting on my mates land,apparently plenty of woodcock and snipe about over there :) 

What nice side by side could you pick up for around a bag of sand? Pref to have 2 3/4 chambers, side plate if you can (oohh aren't they nice) and I would imagine open chokes would be more liked on a traditional walked up gun? 

I am not going to note a specific bore... 12, 16, 20 ... I am sure they are all capable of firing a 28g cart of 6 shot ... 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aya number 2 or countryman in good condition or my choice. A Gunmarkyal made by Garbi and Arrietta for GMK as copy of the Holland and holland  Royal.

For a grand you may get if you can find one a Gold Sabel or Gunmark Regal self opener sidelick action.

7 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Side plate or side lock ?

plenty of good aya no2 or if you’re walked up shooting a aya25 

lots about just finding one that suits you is the thing we all like different stuff 

I suspect that wanting a SxS Lloyd means a sidelock, although the likes of Charles Hellis, Cogswell & Harrison and a few others put sideplates as a bit of an 'add on' on boxlocks as a 'faux' Sidelock. Always thought that they didn't look quite right (just my opinion).  Sideplates on boxlock O/Us are different again and look good (again, just my opinion).

As said there are some good S/H Spanish and Italian sidelocks to be had within his budget. Now is the time to grab a SxS bargain as it seems they are no longer in fashion with most youngsters being taught these days with O/Us.

Good luck with your quest and as OF said, get one that suits, there are plenty out there to chose from.

Also as Ditchman said, one in 16g (my absolute favourite gauge) would be so sweet and a joy to both own and shoot

OB

15 minutes ago, B725 said:

Lovely looking gun what is it, I am myself thinking of having a sxs, something old but nice. 

Victor Sarasqueta model 7e, I think that is the model from my research, I also have an 8 which is an absolute beaut!

Edited by button

52 minutes ago, button said:

180920164135957-1.jpg.60e0e8e6307597e2255580a7c64869ad.jpg

I picked this 20 bore up well within your budget you just have to search

There you go Lloyd, they don't get much better than that !

19 minutes ago, button said:

Victor Sarasqueta model 7e, I think that is the model from my research, I also have an 8 which is an absolute beaut!

Lovely gun Button.

Could I please ask what the difference is between the models 7 & 8.

Many thanks

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

All very nice, BUT Lloyd needs to accept a simple fact, anyone who has a nice SxS will invariably hold on to it!

Get out around or phone your local Gun Shops and see what they have, a morning on the phone should lead to something with potential.

Crikey even Mick (Wabbitbosher) has some nice stuff, but they don't hang around for long because some of us still value the good stuff!

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely gun Button.

Could I please ask what the difference is between the models 7 & 8.

Many thanks

OB

Supposedly the higher the number the better the grade, they both have hidden 3rd bite, the 7 has detachable locks where as the 8 doesn't, the 8's engraving is better as is the wood - this is the 8

20180424_182451.jpg

Edited by button

I have a 60s Webley & Scott 700 with 28" barrels choked 1/4 & 3/4, which although a box lock is still a lovely thing to own and shoots very well. 

I would like a sidelock too, chas hellis, gallons or Thomas Turner would be my preference, I keep looking but never see anything in my budget.. 

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

A couple of AYA No.2s in Southam`s next auction. Both 26 inch barrels.

Lot No.1159 £300-£500

Lot No.1177 £400-£500

Also a cased Churchill XXV £800-£1000 Lot 1123

hello, i do like that Churchill, many a side by side since has adopted the high narrow rib, 

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i do like that Churchill, many a side by side since has adopted the high narrow rib, 

I agree, that and other Churchill XXVs for sale offer excellent value, especially in the currently depressed SxS market. Now's the time to buy one if the short barrels suit your style of shooting.

OB

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2019 at 18:01, adzyvilla said:

I have a 60s Webley & Scott 700 with 28" barrels choked 1/4 & 3/4, which although a box lock is still a lovely thing to own and shoots very well. 

I would like a sidelock too, chas hellis, gallons or Thomas Turner would be my preference, I keep looking but never see anything in my budget.. 

I have been browsing a W&S 700 today actually which I must say looks stunning :)