Traditional side by side

Lloyd90

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what you want to spend aya no2 side lock  2nd hand brilliant guns for pheasants partridge pigeons They always hold there money if down the line you decide you want to change But once you shoot the no 2 think it would be a keeper good luck the s/s market very good guns if you want to spend little bit extra Good Luck 😉 

3 hours ago, figgy said:

The higher grades look nicer Lloyd have a look at the Webley & Scott 702

The basic 700 looks like utilitariantool rather than a nice game gun. UK equivalent to the Baikal. Same with the basic grade BSA.

Whereas I don't really think that mentioning Webley and Scott is the equivalent to a Baikal is on, point taken in general. If I was looking for a bargain, an investment and  an absolute peach of a game gun all rolled into one -  although the investment would really be an excuse to calm down SWMBO - I would leave rubber burning on the way to Salisbury.

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

Loads of excellent  British made boxlocks around for very little money.  Question do you really need an ejector?   Never felt the need for an ejector gun while pigeon shooting, driven game yes, most of the time we are trying to catch the ejected shells anyway.

Blackpowder

When the action is hectic, ejecting the empty shells, is much quicker than pulling them out of the chambers!....but as you say, in a confined space like a hide, a non ejector is fine!

18 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

So all this talk about 16 bores, some months ago I picked up this 1936 WW Greener with 30" barrels and in very good condition. It is a joy to use but the safety is just take a little getting used to in the cold weather

IMG_0590.JPG

That is very nice and no doubt as you say, a joy to shoot. I've often hankered after a 16g Greener, but being left handed, wondered how I'd get on with the safety.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

24 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

That is very nice and no doubt as you say, a jot to shoot. I've often hankered after a 16g Greener, but being left handed, wondered how I'd get on with the safety.

OB

It would be tricky for a left handed but I assume they must have made a left hand version. I do have the Greener book so will have a look, but assume they would be very rare

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

It would be tricky for a left handed but I assume they must have made a left hand version. I do have the Greener book so will have a look, but assume they would be very rare

I`ve just had a quick look through the Greener book and cannot see a left handed version. I`m sure that they would have made one though.

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I`ve just had a quick look through the Greener book and cannot see a left handed version. I`m sure that they would have made one though.

OB

I have a copy of Graham Greeners book and there are several guns with the side safety on the other side including a couple of 8bores, so they did make them. I can not find a 16 bore on Internet for sale so they seem quite rare

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 22:08, Lloyd90 said:

Aside from my last thread about which rifle you would buy for around £1000... I am wondering what traditional side by side would also be considered. 

I recently saw a mate's 16 bore SxS on our shoot, it was a George Bates with a side plate and my god it was a real beauty of a gun. I have a SP 12 and 20 bore, a spanish master SxS which is choked 1/2 and full, however have dropped some proper long birds with that bad boy! 

My Mrs has said she would consider a gun for xmas (lucky boy) however I still have no idea what to ask for. I have a slot for a 308 (hence asking about the rifles) ... except since getting the dog and being very into training him I have barely picked up the rifles and have had some very good rough shooting. Next year when I am not on this bloody course for work I am hoping to take some time off for work and head over to Ireland for some shooting on my mates land,apparently plenty of woodcock and snipe about over there :) 

What nice side by side could you pick up for around a bag of sand? Pref to have 2 3/4 chambers, side plate if you can (oohh aren't they nice) and I would imagine open chokes would be more liked on a traditional walked up gun? 

I am not going to note a specific bore... 12, 16, 20 ... I am sure they are all capable of firing a 28g cart of 6 shot ... 

One thing you may consider is to shoot a few before buying. When you're brought up with a single sighting plane, and single trigger, stepping back to the more romantic ideal can take some getting used to.