New Dog

sam triple

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s all very contradictory mate, one person will tell you to do something whilst others will say the opposite. 

When my dog was running in, I was stood with several FT judges. Three of them were saying if the dog stops on the flush, give him the retrieve to reward the stop, another two were saying they were mad, and that they would only give the dog 1/10 retrieves even if he does stop, and pick 9/10 themselves. 

Even the successful lads at the top don’t agree with some of it. 

However, wait for your pup to mature both physically and mentally. One of the best things I saw was always put your young dog in situations that go right. You don’t want a young dog to get into bad habits and you especially don’t want to be telling off, nagging or ####ing a young dog. 

At some point you may need to tell your dog off, they need to be both physically and mentally mature enough to learn the lesson. 

Re your mates cocker, taking a dog out in the field with no past exposure of gunshot and firing a shot over it is very stupid, yet lots of people do just that. A bloke in our shooting club did it and then could never take his dog shooting again. 

As Arthur said you introduce gunshot gradually over a period ... BUT the dog needs to be physical developed, eg it’s inner ear channels developed... this isn’t because the dog can be gun shy, it’s because your dog can get hearing damage. 

Are you following any training plans, books or DVD’s? 

hi yes a work mate put me in contact with an old boy who breeds and trains labs I spoke to him yesterday ,told him what I had done with the pup also his parents back grounds he seemed quite excited and keen to see him ,so ill take him over Saturday and take it from there

As regarding my mates cocker ,my mate is no fool his Dad was head keeper on a large estate and he was bought up doing so hes also done keepering himself and farm work his only mistake was believing another keeper when he said the dog was all good to go

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read Lloyds post of Ted's progress, fair enough its about a Springer but the basics are the same. I take my hat off to him for sticking with it and putting on all the issues good and bad, it's an interesting read but with a good ending.How you choose to train your dog is up to you just don't rush any part of training. 

Good luck with the pup.

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

hi yes a work mate put me in contact with an old boy who breeds and trains labs I spoke to him yesterday ,told him what I had done with the pup also his parents back grounds he seemed quite excited and keen to see him ,so ill take him over Saturday and take it from there

As regarding my mates cocker ,my mate is no fool his Dad was head keeper on a large estate and he was bought up doing so hes also done keepering himself and farm work his only mistake was believing another keeper when he said the dog was all good to go

No worries mate, no offence but some keepers dogs are the worst trained on shoots.  

Personally I would look for a training club, a few quid to join and you’ll be able to see what a real good dog can do. Anyone can tell you how great their dog is, but you’ll find people can big them up when they’re often not all that. People get funny then when they’re told the truth. 

I went along to several tests and trials as dummy thrower, game carrier etc. It’s a great learning experience and showed me what Was achievable and what a good standard was. 

I also learned something, one lad said he doesn’t even start formal training until his dog is over 12 months. Let’s them enjoy their puppyhood first. 

Took pup to see the old boy yesterday who took us and one of his young dogs to his local park comprising of woodland with ponds ,streams and open fields , showed us what his young dog can do then took control of mine ,he gave him some short retrieves using a whistle and hand signals , he said he knows what to do just got to get him to do it the way we want ,reading between the lines he was quite impressed, so have booked him up for weekly hour long lessons 

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nice dog  remember to go back to him and not always call him in so he doesn’t pre-empt it  

Hi  thanks , yes that was my next part of training was going to video it until battery nearly died ,trying to keep a video journal going on a weekly basis to see how hes progressing not sure if that's a good idea or not