Benelli Super Vinci or Franchi intensity

Big Al

I'm considering a new wildfowling gun with a 3.5 inch steel capacity. I won't use the 3.5 inch often, but it will good to have that option. I really like the way the Super Vinci comes up, but at £1000 for a used semi auto it seems steep. I can't find a Franchi intensity to try out, so I was wondering if anyone in PW uses on or has had experience with one?

How do they handle lighter loads, is the metal finish reasonably resilient in salty air?

I really prefer the inertia guns as they are so easy to clean, just in case someone recommends a gun driven one.

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I use the benelli super black eagle 2 on the shore and it is fine with 2.75- 3.5” cartridges bit I am not happy with it with light loads. I bought it for wildfowling only. A few boys up here use the Winchester sx3 and really rate it

Thanks Dave. I should also mention that I am changing the Benelli Montefeltro I already have. It has a 3" chamber and I'm putting 3" hp steel through it despite there being no fleur-de-lys. 

I`m sorry to say this but, I had a Vinci on loan from the importer a few years ago. It has the same plastic wrap as the SBE2 and it should perform well in a salt environment.The all black models rust like *******. I liked the design and the handling very much but It was the worst semi auto I`ve ever used and jammed constantly.

When returned to the workshop the staff remarked that this was not unusual for all Vinci`s. This particular gun was well "run in" and if I was not using 3 or 3.5" cartridges I was using full strength 75mm ammo. The field trial of this gun was abandoned since it could not be made to work reliably.

And if the Vinci was carp I shoot an SBE2 which is probably the Best semi auto I`ve ever used and has never jammed in 12 years of hard use. If you go with the Vinci I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by mudpatten

24 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

I`m sorry to say this but, I had a Vinci on loan from the importer a few years ago. It has the same plastic wrap as the SBE2 and it should perform well in a salt environment.The all black models rust like *******. I liked the design and the handling very much but It was the worst semi auto I`ve ever used and jammed constantly.

When returned to the workshop the staff remarked that this was not unusual for all Vinci`s. This particular gun was well "run in" and if I was not using 3 or 3.5" cartridges I was using full strength 75mm ammo. The field trial of this gun was abandoned since it could not be made to work reliably.

And if the Vinci was carp I shoot an SBE2 which is probably the Best semi auto I`ve ever used and has never jammed in 12 years of hard use. If you go with the Vinci I wish you the best of luck.

Evidence based opinion.  That's what I wanted and that's what you have given.  Greatly appreciated mudpatten.

I'll try to get my hands on a SBE 1 2 or 3 to see what they're like then.

Many thanks. 

👍👍👍

I have had a SBE 2 and 3 the 2 was the most unreliable gun I have ever owned, so bad I threw one flight into the wash then had to retrieve it from 2ft if water. The 3 was better handling and super reliable, just for some reason over head shots I kept missing and lost confidence so I sold it. The black Benelli rust big time don't even think of having one for the coast. Ps I change my guns a lot.

Edited by muncher

The only experience I have had of auto's have been a Browning five shot and a Beretta Silver Pigeon pump action I had , can never remember having to much trouble with the Browning but the pump action made my nose bleed once or twice and that had to go .

I can fully understand once you get used to three shots you don't want to revert going back to two shots , a bit like starting off with a single and then moving on to a double , no way would you want to go back to using a one shot gun .

On one or two of the Chris Green video's I have got he seem to get a lot of trouble with his three shot , mainly jamming up , having said that , going by the amount of three shots I hear on the marsh nowadays , it would be a good bet there are as many if not more autos used than doubles .

Would you agree ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

The only experience I have had of auto's have been a Browning five shot and a Beretta Silver Pigeon pump action I had , can never remember having to much trouble with the Browning but the pump action made my nose bleed once or twice and that had to go .

I can fully understand once you get used to three shots you don't want to revert going back to two shots , a bit like starting off with a single and then moving on to a double , no way would you want to go back to using a one shot gun .

On one or two of the Chris Green video's I have got he seem to get a lot of trouble with his three shot , mainly jamming up , having said that , going by the amount of three shots I hear on the marsh nowadays , it would be a good bet there are as many if not more autos used than doubles .

Would you agree ?

I think Chris Greens gun is a pump - a Winchester SXP?

I want summat rough and ready for the shore. As muncher says I've heard rust can be a problem on the coast with black benellis and my current semi auto is a synthetic black Benelli. With a semi auto it's pretty easy to get into the bowels of the action,  but not so easy with an ou or sbs. 

1 minute ago, Big Mat said:

I'll only echo what other say about not buying a black Benelli, they rust for fun! 

Cheers Mat. That's what I have now!!

Interesting comment by Muncher on SBE 2 &3. I was in Canada goose shooting in November and used the hire guns SBE2 cammo. They commented that the 2 was the more reliable and they had experienced barrel issues with the 3. Given the hammer their guns get that is probably a pretty good field test. And yes my black model can be prone to rust on the barrels but I just keep it well cleaned and am ready for it.

Chris Greens pump action kept jamming because of the ham fisted way he was operating it!

If you want something pretty much indestructable try a camo Benelli SuperNova pump action - and learn how to operate it!

You don`t say if you`re already familiar with inertia operated guns but this might be worth watching if you go for an SBE 1 or 2, both of which suffered from the "Benelli Click", which the SBE 3 was redesigned to alleviate. It`s the main cause of failing to fire with the SBE 1/2 and is avoidable if you`re aware of it from the outset.

You could always get a black one cerakoted to as colour you like for the marsh. It won't rust then and the costing is tough.

I looked at the sbe 2 and 3 the 2 is the better gun to hold the three is off a little and not as nice to mount. Some great features though bigger trigger guard and bolt release and as mudpatten states the bolt stays in battery even if you bang the stock doiwn.

11 hours ago, mudpatten said:

If you want something pretty much indestructable try a camo Benelli SuperNova pump action - and learn how to operate it!

You don`t say if you`re already familiar with inertia operated guns.

SBE 2 looks like the answer. But given the SBE 2 2nd hand value, the Super Nova is looking like a more realistic candidate. 

And yes, I am familiar with inertia operated guns. I currently own one and always slam the bolt home - I've yet to experience the dreaded click. Interesting clip though- I didn't know about the speed loading. 

Hello Big AL A fella I used to shoot with had the Vinci and loved it on The foreshore There was one for sale from a popular gun shop up Toome direction I’m not sure if it’s still for sale I actually bought a new browning A5 black synthetic with 3 1/2 inch chamber have put 3inch gamebore through it performs well but doesn’t like light clay loads with inertia action when I take it to the clay ground  Good luck I’m sure you’ll get sorted 

12 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Hello Big AL A fella I used to shoot with had the Vinci and loved it on The foreshore There was one for sale from a popular gun shop up Toome direction I’m not sure if it’s still for sale I actually bought a new browning A5 black synthetic with 3 1/2 inch chamber have put 3inch gamebore through it performs well but doesn’t like light clay loads with inertia action when I take it to the clay ground  Good luck I’m sure you’ll get sorted 

Thanks Gerry.  Tannyoky have them too. But like our friend in Toome, they charge top dollar!!

Well Al i can only agree with the SBE / Benelli rust aspect.

I must say  the vinchi is a beautiful handling shotgun.

Another idea if you do not buy the SBEmark 1 . How about a remington versa max?:)  I do not have one but i used one and i think they are a good gun.

Edited by lancer425

Hi,

I have had a SBE 1 for years.  Originally for the foreshore , where it worked faultlessly.  I am a great " barrel wiper", and all guns get wiped over with an oily rag when I have cleaned them.  I've not had any rusting.  The last four or five years, I have been using it for pigeon shooting exclusively, with Hull's "Super Fast Pigeon " cartridges.  I was getting regular hang ups, and ordered a recoil spring ( to go in the stock )for a 2 3/4 " gun, and replaced the original one, which I have kept for the marsh .  This is obviously my own modification, and may not be a good idea for others.  But it has worked well for me.