New Combi Boiler

the hitman

Hi Folks 

Just had my  gas Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 serviced by British Gas and as it’s 20+ years old with many parts becoming obsolete he recommended I replace it.

We have a 4 bedroom terrace house with 11 radiators 3 of which are doubles.

if any plumbing engineers here could recommend a boiler and roughly how much ( it’s a straight replacement in the same location) it would cost.

I would be happy with another Highflow but just not sure what else in out there 

Cheers 

Hitman

3 hours ago, the hitman said:

Hi Folks 

Just had my  gas Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 serviced by British Gas and as it’s 20+ years old with many parts becoming obsolete he recommended I replace it.

We have a 4 bedroom terrace house with 11 radiators 3 of which are doubles.

if any plumbing engineers here could recommend a boiler and roughly how much ( it’s a straight replacement in the same location) it would cost.

I would be happy with another Highflow but just not sure what else in out there 

Cheers 

Hitman

Being a BG "engineer" I suspect he was talking out of his rear fundamental orifice and trying to "drum up" work.  They do it all the time

2 hours ago, the hitman said:

Hi Deker

No it’s working fine now.

It had a new diverter value fitted as the heating wasn’t always coming on. Engineer recons this is one of the parts that would be difficult to replace, but thankfully he had one in his van.

I had similar advice about my Vaillant boiler so decided to get a few quotes, one of the engineers who visited said to just run it until it does fail and then if it isn't economically repairable (or even possible) replace it then otherwise the newer boiler would probably need replacing again before any return on money saving due to efficiencies.

Plenty of good boilers and many fitters will offer many views of which is the best. Any of the big names should be absolutely fine but as said above if it ain't broke don't fix it. Could happily run for another 10 years and one engineer saying that parts are obsolete doesn't make it so.

Service and maintain it until it's broken beyond economical repair before replacing would be my suggestion.

Edd

29 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Plenty of good boilers and many fitters will offer many views of which is the best. Any of the big names should be absolutely fine but as said above if it ain't broke don't fix it. Could happily run for another 10 years and one engineer saying that parts are obsolete doesn't make it so.

Service and maintain it until it's broken beyond economical repair before replacing would be my suggestion.

Edd

Cheers for the sound advice. 

Once again the P/W faithful come up with the goods.

Hitman.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

When you have to replace it then ask for recommendations as things change. What's good now may be poor in five years.

Probable by then that gas heating will have been given the kiss of death by Chris, Greta and good old Dave?

Edited by old man

Wife had the boiler replaced in our barn conversion just before she met me. It cost £3k. As long as it was serviced yearly by Worcester Bosch it had a 2yr warranty. Which sounded good but the service charge from a WB licensed engineer was expensive. At the new house we've got a hot water cylinder and traditional boiler which would be cheaper to replace. There was an issue with it when we first moved in so Mrs BTJ got WB to come and have a look and they told her how old and knackered it was and would need replacing within 12/18 months. She loves to stress about things! It died about a month ago, que impending doom, misery and firey brimstone from the depths of hell. Me and dad stripped it down and despite both WB and the woman we bought off confirming it had been serviced it definitely hadnt been serviced in a very long time! Friendly heating engineer from Oswestry way, 2 litres of contaminated oil, a new jet and just shy of £100 later and we were back in business. He said that yes it was an old boiler but parts are still made and will be available new or second hand for years and we wouldn't need to replace the boiler probably as long as we live there. So it's always good to take what the big companies say with a pinch of salt.