Mpg

Farmboy91

I'm seriously considering going self employed next year, probably going to be looking at a crew cab pick up or one with the back seats but no rear doors. 

Going by auto trader stats an l200 is going to be the best mpg wise and I've seen some reasonably priced lowish millage ones. 

What are you lot running and what are you getting to the gallon in real world driving? 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Oowee once pointed out to me, the MPG is normally the least of your worries. The devaluation is the biggest hit, therefore sometimes buying a good condition truck that is well sought after can be better as they lose less in value. As well as whether they are classed (and taxed) as commercial or personal vehicles, road tax, servicing costs etc. 

I'm still not long enough into L200 ownership to give you a real-world MPG, but I can tell you it's not great.  My 25-year-old Discovery was doing 30 combined on all-terrain tyres, but I didn't take it above 65mph.

That said, the best part of modern truck ownership so far, is after walking miles in the dark, at night, carrying an airgun, pard, a couple of rabbits, torch, etc, the feeling of being able to remove a layer, toss all the dirty gear+bunnies in the back, climb in the front and have a comfortable, quiet drive home..

As Lloyd (by extension 00Wee) point out, MPG is almost secondary, it will make very little difference to your bottom line, unless you're doing many tens of thousands of miles, in which case, you're probably better off with a van?

I’ve a 62 plate 2.0 Amarok, took me a while to find one without intergalatic mileage, at a reasonable price, but absolutely love it (as does Mrs Hod, which surprised me).

Gets about 28 mpg, mostly shorter journeys on A/T tyres. Had a long trip from Edinburgh to Moray and got 35 mpg. 

Pretty much what I’d expect given how I use it. My biggest concern is the DPF getting gummed up, so always try and take it for a blast down the motorway if such a journey has to be made. Also get my mechanic to run a forced regen when it’s getting serviced.

Edited by hod

6 minutes ago, hod said:

I’ve a 62 plate 2.0 Amarok, took me a while to find one without intergalatic mileage, at a reasonable price, but absolutely love it (as does Mrs Hod, which surprised me).

Gets about 28 mpg, mostly shorter journeys on A/T tyres. Had a long trip from Edinburgh to Moray and got 35 mpg. 

Pretty much what I’d expect given how I use it. My biggest concern is the DPF getting gummed up, so always try and take it for a blast down the motorway if such a journey has to be made. Also get my mechanic to run a forced regen when it’s getting serviced.

Thank you, I like the amarok but I think they are going to be a bit of my reach unfortunately. From what I've read most seem to return around the low to mid 30's 

Over 15k miles in my 68 plate l200 I have averaged 32mpg. That’s running it through a fuel monitoring app that is including about 1500 miles with our caravan on.  General running around is 32 if I am in a reasonable rush and 35-36 if taking it easy 

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

My 2.4 hilux does. Around 34 onaverage. Just driven to suffok from Somerset and it has averaged 41. Courtesy of rd work speed imits. My navara woulld average low 40's.

30 minutes ago, al4x said:

Over 15k miles in my 68 plate l200 I have averaged 32mpg. That’s running it through a fuel monitoring app that is including about 1500 miles with our caravan on.  General running around is 32 if I am in a reasonable rush and 35-36 if taking it easy 

Thank you, exactly the sort of info I'm after, how old is the navara? 

I googled this the other day best mpg for a 4x4 and it seemed to rate 

Nissan Navara
46.3mpg
Easy to drive, comfortable and capable of hauling heavy loads, the Nissan Navara is the perfect pick-up. It's efficient too, with front-wheel drive versions officially returning 46mpg while four-wheel models provide up to 45mpg. Factor in Nissan's comprehensive five-year-warranty and it's easy to see why the Navara is so popular with UK buyers. 

But I can't see how a big old truck like that can get that sort of mpg

23 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

I googled this the other day best mpg for a 4x4 and it seemed to rate 

Nissan Navara
46.3mpg
Easy to drive, comfortable and capable of hauling heavy loads, the Nissan Navara is the perfect pick-up. It's efficient too, with front-wheel drive versions officially returning 46mpg while four-wheel models provide up to 45mpg. Factor in Nissan's comprehensive five-year-warranty and it's easy to see why the Navara is so popular with UK buyers. 

But I can't see how a big old truck like that can get that sort of mpg

I would take 10 off those figures

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Navara was a euro 5 2016. Very comfortable and more car like than truck . I swapped to the lux as i need more truck. 

Thank you 👍

To be honest the only thing I'd actually like in it is air con, within reason most of them look the same from the outside and are going to within reason do the same job. 

My son has the 2.3 (I think) diesel, auto Navara. Late 2016 model. 100 miles a day commute, Sheffield to Nottingham return. Chunky off road tyres, beats and farm tracks once every 2 weeks. Shoots, off road, and farm type tracks, every week. Excursions to Scotland to shoot, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. General pleasure/social etc. Used occasionally to recover his idiot rigid lorry drivers when they get stuck on building sites. Mileage  currently to the moon and back. 25mpg. Doesn't make much difference how he drives or what he does it comes back at an average of 25mpg. Little more on motorway, little less queuing in traffic. Still average 25.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I have an l200 auto for shooting and picking up. I can get 33-35 if I take it steady at 45-50 mph. As an average I get around 30 mpg but don’t do much crawling around town when it will fall 23-25. 

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

My son has the 2.3 (I think) diesel, auto Navara. Late 2016 model. 100 miles a day commute, Sheffield to Nottingham return. Chunky off road tyres, beats and farm tracks once every 2 weeks. Shoots, off road, and farm type tracks, every week. Excursions to Scotland to shoot, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. General pleasure/social etc. Used occasionally to recover his idiot rigid lorry drivers when they get stuck on building sites. Mileage  currently to the moon and back. 25mpg. Doesn't make much difference how he drives or what he does it comes back at an average of 25mpg. Little more on motorway, little less queuing in traffic. Still average 25.

Hope that helps.

Thank you both, greatly appreciated 👍

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Steady run today 20 miles to pick up 38mpg

Thats good going, it doesn't help I've been a bit spoilt with my golf as it will do 65 to the gallon easy and I know whatever I get isn't going to do anywhere near that 😂

Id be well happy if I could get that regularly though. 

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

Thats good going, it doesn't help I've been a bit spoilt with my golf as it will do 65 to the gallon easy and I know whatever I get isn't going to do anywhere near that 😂

Id be well happy if I could get that regularly though. 

I have a Hyundai i30 for running about and paid for by the company and get 48-50 from it