Mpg

Farmboy91

On 10/12/2019 at 07:02, wall90 said:

I have an Isuzu dmax 2.5 on a run up to the youkshier dales I get 44 to the gallon just driving around between 35-37,when I had at tyres on the best I got on a run was 37. the newer 1.9 versions are about 5 mpg more,mine is a manual.

44mph?  I doubt that, maybe computer says 44.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/12/2019 at 20:06, spurs 14 said:

Go on then I will make everyone feel better with whatever they are driving , got a defender 110 td5 and ........ wait for it ......... 20 mpg ! , but then that is go anywhere on anything loaded with whatever you want ! 

Difference is while your doing 20 mpg and I am doing 30-35 mpg in my lux yours is holding its price and mine is loosing £3k a year. 

16 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Generally the numbers reported seem disappointingly low. I get 22mpg from a 25 year old disco towing a huge very unareodynamic trailer, or 35mpg on long runs with no trailer and a gentle foot. I had assumed more progress would have been made in 25 years. 

My wife's Disco sport will give over 50 mpg's. The 2 wd pick ups are apparently a lot better on fuel. I managed 41mpg from Somerset to Suffolk which I thought excellent but it about 5 mpg's came from the extensive 50mph average speed limits. 

13 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

That is quite respectable. Would love a 4x4 for shooting and lugging stuff about but got about 40 miles comute a day so mpg has to be considered 

For general shooting for most there is nearly always another way around the problem than a 4x4. Even having one its often too wet to drive in to extract stuff without damaging the ground or risk getting stuck. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

For general shooting for most there is nearly always another way around the problem than a 4x4. Even having one its often too wet to drive in to extract stuff without damaging the ground or risk getting stuck. 

In reality your right. Mostly summer and dry stubble in fact my family car managed fine lol. Van might suet me better when the time comes 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

I am on my 3rd diesel  vitara.It is  a fantastic truck all the refinements of modern expectations.Excellent in snow and ice and100% reliable. Best bit.... I get at least65 to the gallon out of it. My partner who doesn't drive as spirited as me manages72mpg. What's not to like.... From Auntie.

Which model? Sounds interesting 

On 09/01/2020 at 06:08, Fisheruk said:

Which model? Sounds interesting 

The first one I had was a grand vitara, sz5 2011,1.9 diesel.(not as good fuel economy) but bomb proof.

The next 2 have both been Vitara.2015 and 2018. 1.6 diesel they have a very impressive sports mode button and will comfortable do 65mpg no matter how you drive them. Very good on tyres and virtually zero emmisions. The 2nd one I sold with 45,000 on the clock and the inside of the exhaust was still shining.I have never had to spend any extra money on any of them except for servicing in a total of 125,000 miles. 

All 3 were 4 x4 models.

You could do a lot worse than getting a low mileage one.

From Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway
Signing

On 11/12/2019 at 21:01, billytheghillie said:

44mph?  I doubt that, maybe computer says 44.

I get 31.1mpg from my DMax, consistently. That includes motorway, town driving and off road. It’s a 1.9 auto and it has AT tyres. I think a Manual version driven carefully would get probably 35-36

2 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I get 31.1mpg from my DMax, consistently. That includes motorway, town driving and off road. It’s a 1.9 auto and it has AT tyres. I think a Manual version driven carefully would get probably 35-36

The older 2.5 manual I took out was doing just over 38, did look at the 1.9's but they are a bit out of my price range. Im definitely going for a dmax now.

27 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

The older 2.5 manual I took out was doing just over 38, did look at the 1.9's but they are a bit out of my price range. Im definitely going for a dmax now.

They are really good off road too. This is my third, I do a fairly high mileage of circa 30000 per annum and change them at 90000.  My current one has the raised Pedlar lift suspension which is useful riding over deep tractor tracks. I don’t think I have ever bottomed this one. To be honest I think the 2.5 is a better engine, the 1.9 has to work that much harder.

39 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

They are really good off road too. This is my third, I do a fairly high mileage of circa 30000 per annum and change them at 90000.  My current one has the raised Pedlar lift suspension which is useful riding over deep tractor tracks. I don’t think I have ever bottomed this one. To be honest I think the 2.5 is a better engine, the 1.9 has to work that much harder.

I did think that when looking at the 1900's, seems a little lump to be hauling that big truck around.

Thanks, handy to know they are good off road to, I don't plan on doing any major offroading but it would be handy on some of the perms where I can't take the golf + the roads have a tendency to flood round here so that bit of extra ground clearance will be ideal. The fact that they come in under 2040kg also helped sway it for me too.

On 06/12/2019 at 21:10, captainhastings said:

But I can't see how a big old truck like that can get that sort of mpg

The road test mpgs are obtained by driving a stripped out test vehicle at 30mph on a motorway for about 20 miles. As long as they can prove they got it once they can legally use it in their advertising. Even though they will have done many such test runs that weren't so good it doesn't matter.

They even use tricks like putting thinner oil in the engine and transmission, switching tyres and over inflating them to reduce rolling resistance. 

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The road test mpgs are obtained by driving a stripped out test vehicle at 30mph on a motorway for about 20 miles. As long as they can prove they got it once they can legally use it in their advertising. Even though they will have done many such test runs that weren't so good it doesn't matter.

They even use tricks like putting thinner oil in the engine and transmission, switching tyres and over inflating them to reduce rolling resistance. 

Rubbish even with the old test. The new test is much stricter and should lead to real world reductions in emissions. 

What is the WLTP?

Although it is a lab-based test procedure like the NEDC, the WLTP is more reflective of modern driving. The new test cycle lasts for 30 minutes, instead of 20 minutes previously, and recreates a mixture of urban, suburban, rural and motorway driving, rather than the urban and extra-urban used in the previous cycle.

Cars are driven at higher average speeds (up to 81.4mph, instead of 75mph) and over longer driving distances than in the previous test. They must also accelerate and decelerate more dynamically, achieve higher average and maximum speeds, have shorter stopping times and be tested in more realistic temperatures that are closer to the European average.

7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I realise that for various reasons the old test wasn't representative and devices like small 3 cylinder engines with big turbos were specifically designed to perform well in the test environment, but I didn't think they were allowed to strip out the vehicle. My understanding is that weight reduction has to be engineered or specified into production, hence things like no spare wheel and jack becoming the norm.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

I realise that for various reasons the old test wasn't representative and devices like small 3 cylinder engines with big turbos were specifically designed to perform well in the test environment, but I didn't think they were allowed to strip out the vehicle. My understanding is that weight reduction has to be engineered or specified into production, hence things like no spare wheel and jack becoming the norm.

You don’t get jacks and spare wheels because people are stupid enough to buy cars without them.

On 07/12/2019 at 19:21, bornfree said:

I think with any pick up 4x4 you will be doing well to better an average of 30 mpg. After all they are a heavy lump.

and a pickup is about as aerodynamic as a brick. Speed has a big effect on mpg. What any vehicle returns at  a constant 60mph compared to 80mph is quite noticeable.

On the M4 at the moment there are long sections of 50mph speed restriction and the average mpg figure on my car goes right up when I get in them. Its a good lesson

Just now, London Best said:

I am sure you are right, but that should be part of the driving test.

Yes I agree with you 100% on that. Funny that they teach new drivers to use a sat nav but not a map.

From what I understand of the current test it's only gone down hill since I took mine, the standard of road etiquette shows that in my opinion.