Mpg

Farmboy91

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, bornfree said:

I think with any pick up 4x4 you will be doing well to better an average of 30 mpg. After all they are a heavy lump.

I think its going to end up being better taking a hit on the fuel economy for the extra practicality of a pick up. 

7 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Go on then I will make everyone feel better with whatever they are driving , got a defender 110 td5 and ........ wait for it ......... 20 mpg ! , but then that is go anywhere on anything loaded with whatever you want ! 

And your doing it in style! 

23 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Go on then I will make everyone feel better with whatever they are driving , got a defender 110 td5 and ........ wait for it ......... 20 mpg ! , but then that is go anywhere on anything loaded with whatever you want ! 

After 43 years running nothing but Defenders, I have to say if that was mine I would be giving it a dose of looking at, because there IS something wrong with it. Should do 28 all day long, never mind the load.

16 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Wouldn’t change it ! Looked at nissans , toyotas etc but love the defender it will stay for the foreseeable 

I know for a fact my little lad would love it if I had a defender but I'm not sure I'm ready to that that plunge haha. 

Maybe if my number come up tonight 🤞

If I was in your shoes I wouldn’t either ,if I was being sensible and practical it would be sold and a jap king cab bought , but I’m lucky I don’t do long journeys or worry too much over mpg and the defender has always done what I needed and I love it , plus there’s the daft little defender wave when you meet another one ! 

14 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

That could be a worry ! Been serviced regularly runs well pulls well , had discovery’s before this one but in last three years never got any better , but that is on road , on farm tracks , off road and normally well loaded ! , any ideas what to look at ?      Cheers 

A long time ago I had a petrol series 3, bought at 14000 miles. It always did within a decimal point of 22 mpg, checked religiously every tankful. One week it dropped to 17. Checked next week, 17 again, nothing obviously wrong with performance. So I did a compression test and found no3 cylinder to be well below the others. Head off, valve burnt out. New valve, back to 22 mpg straight away. I have never had a diesel Defender average less than 28 mpg. Current 2.4 Puma drops to just over 28 in Winter or motorway cruising. Ran it from Derbyshire to Oban for a weeks holiday in Summer and it averaged 31.5 for about 1600 miles.

43 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

If I was in your shoes I wouldn’t either ,if I was being sensible and practical it would be sold and a jap king cab bought , but I’m lucky I don’t do long journeys or worry too much over mpg and the defender has always done what I needed and I love it , plus there’s the daft little defender wave when you meet another one ! 

If the mx5 ever went it would possibly be one of the vehicles id look to replace it with. 

Too much choice lol

On 07/12/2019 at 20:42, spurs 14 said:

That could be a worry ! Been serviced regularly runs well pulls well , had discovery’s before this one but in last three years never got any better , but that is on road , on farm tracks , off road and normally well loaded ! , any ideas what to look at ?      Cheers 

Split turbo hoses and a gummed up EGR valve would be my first port of call...and I do mean inspect every inch of the hoses.  Easy to miss a split.  Once you've ruled that out...fuel leak.  Seriously, it's easy to drop 5mpg on a weep.  There are sealing washers that go on TD5s.  All of this can be usually be found with patience, a torch and the Mk1 Eyeball, no need to pay garage labour rates to find obvious things.

4 hours ago, wall90 said:

I have an Isuzu dmax 2.5 on a run up to the youkshier dales I get 44 to the gallon just driving around between 35-37,when I had at tyres on the best I got on a run was 37. the newer 1.9 versions are about 5 mpg more,mine is a manual.

Thanks for the reply,

What plate is it on? I've been looking at these too. 

if going for an L200 go for the manual version. The autos are pretty thirsty on fuel so much so my local dealer virtually refused to sell me one especially when I told him i would be towing a lot with it. I preferred the L200 but we are going for a Ford Ranger in the new year, for some reason Mitsubishi say you need a tri-axle trailer to tow 3500kg whereas none of the others have that stipulation. 

Edited by ferguson_tom

5 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

if going for an L200 go for the manual version. The autos are pretty thirsty on fuel so much so my local dealer virtually refused to sell me one especially when I told him i would be towing a lot with it. I preferred the L200 but we are going for a Ford Ranger in the new year, for some reason Mitsubishi say you need a tri-axle trailer to tow 3500kg whereas none of the others have that stipulation. 

I really cannot see the point of tri-axle trailer's. It just takes around 110kg off your carrying capacity.

Edited by bornfree

9 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

I'd be going for a manual most likely anyway as it would be towing. Cheers 👍

5 hours ago, Pistol p said:

Any reason why it has to be a crew cab?

Be handy to have them extra 2 seats, although as it's only my boy who would be going in the back a king cab would probably do the job nicely. 

Be handy aswell as if I'm out with the gun I can keep it in the truck with me.

I've seen them just slung in the buck before and my feo told me a story of how an old boy had done that, then one of he's shotguns have bounced out down the road and was found by a member of the public, so that was good bye to he's ticket. Much rather keep it where I can see it. 

Edited by Farmboy91

my d max is on a 16 plate and had only done 17000 miles, has now done 29000, had a freelander before but my wife complained about wet dog and dead rabbit smell,so went for a crew cab truck,my dogs and game go in the back and the cab is clean and tidy,its the best of both .

8 hours ago, wall90 said:

my d max is on a 16 plate and had only done 17000 miles, has now done 29000, had a freelander before but my wife complained about wet dog and dead rabbit smell,so went for a crew cab truck,my dogs and game go in the back and the cab is clean and tidy,its the best of both .

Cheers, Im going to have a look round a few different trucks at the weekend, I did find a nice king cab dmax but it was too far away.