Full moon

captainhastings

Moon is waxing fast and I noticed the last time that when we turned up in the morning at a splash the ducks would all ready be there and then disappear just before day break.
Is it worth  a crack even earlier or after dark in the evening. 
Can you see the **** fly in a full moon because I noticed ducks seem really hard to spot and sort of suddenly appear yet I can spot a pigeon a mile away 

12 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Moon is waxing fast and I noticed the last time that when we turned up in the morning at a splash the ducks would all ready be there and then disappear just before day break.
Is it worth  a crack even earlier or after dark in the evening. 
Can you see the **** fly in a full moon because I noticed ducks seem really hard to spot and sort of suddenly appear yet I can spot a pigeon a mile away 

Moon Shooting is a very different form of shooting most hate it but me personally love Shooting under the moon may it be for Duck or Geese. With a moon it definitely disrupts the normal flight/ feed patterns of Wildfowl.

Before the full moon ( eg does not get dark ) Duck will generally flight spasmodically till the moon set's. Geese will tend to stay on the feeding ground till the moon start's to set.

Depending on cloud cover eg heavy cloud block the moon out the night of full moon Ducks and Geese can start to become predictable. Generally first up to fourth nights after the full moon are best.

Light cloud Mackerel cover is best for flight shooting both Duck and Geese but if you are Decoying provided you set up right even on Star light nights Ducks and Geese can easily be seen and shot dropping into decoys. Hard work effort and understanding the effect the moon has to Wildfowl will increase your chances of success. For me nothing better walking off the Marsh in the early hours with a heavy load of Duck and Geese whilst most people sleep. 

IN 50 years of wildfowling I have never had a decent duck flight under the moon ( best 3 ducks ) and can count the good good goose flights on one hand. Give me a dark night no moon and get the flight over and back home beside the fire and a steaming mug of tea rather than spending freezing hours out on the marsh , usualy for nothing. Some love moon shooting , but not me.

Nice to read peoples opinions. I am off to a splash in the morning. Now normally I would expect the ducks to arrive about 7am but I sort of know there's a good chance some will be there when I arrive because of the moon so considering getting there a couple of hours earlier. Rain forecast until about 4am then clear sky. What ever happens can't wait.