Lamping the night away

JohnGalway

I went up to Conors to head out with him lamping tonight. I brought along the new VL SS just incase :rolleyes: I'm knackered now so these will have to be short stories.... Who's doing the sigh of relief down the back?!

First fox we saw was in a field of cattle by a lake. He did a bit of messing around, walking to and fro and wasn't much interested in the caller. Conor was lamping and I was the shooter, using his Remington VSSF II which now has a Jet-Z (hope I got that right) moderator. One very quiet Thwackkk later and foxy number one was bagged at around 70 yards I think, dog fox of this year.

Second fox was out in a bog, and I mean that literally... Again he didn't show a lot of interest in the caller. He was moving left to right from a bunch of rushes to a hillock. He was 140 yards out when Conor introduced him to an American Eagle hollow point. Very nice shot considering he was the smallest of tonights lot and again one of this years cubs. The moderator really is a great investment. Saves your ears no end and makes the rifle much easier to shoot, recoil reduced and you won't flinch expecting a big bang.

Third fox I spotted from the road a nice way up a hill. After a short think about it we decided to take a walk up to investigate. This one loved the call, came in straight for a long way then changed tack going right to left. I settled down with my new rifle and waited for Conor to pick him up again out of rushes. He stuck his head and chest out and that's all I needed. I didn't get a moderator and I think my lamper forgot as he was standing to the side but slightly ahead of me :lol: A fair amount of cursing ensued... :lol: Biggest fox of the night, somewhere between 100-110 yards at a guess.

Fourth fox caused a stir. After I shot the third guy Conor saw eyes flash up the hill and said I'd missed him. My heart sank! But, we walked on and found the third guy! :lol: So we were talking the usual rubbish as you do and generally making a lot of noise. Conor flicks the lamp around after a bit and guess who's coming back to join the party :P We moved quick to a boggy hillock which was bloody wet. I "settled" down in it and waited. Foxy came through a gap between two large rocks and I sent her to the big hunting ground in the sky at around 40-50 yards, again one of this years but a vixen this time.

Couple of pics below. First one is my rifle and the two foxes I shot with her. Second is the nights total, I thought I had taken a photo of Conors rifle as well but I must not have as I can't find it. I know he has one on his camera though! Good night :lol:

2fox.jpg

4fox1.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks lads, it was a great night out! First night we'd been out with my new rifle and Conors newly moderated rifle so to get two for each of them was a good result in my books! Lol @ the furry earmuffs Lazza, the first fox was lovely, he just stuck his head and chest out of the rushes, can still see him. Dog of a day here now so may not get out tonight, but we'll see!

Well done both of you, 2 maidens the same night! Can't be bad. Nice looking rifle there John, would look sweeter with a nice wee mod on the end there though :lol:

At least that way Conor won't need a new pair of kecks every time out :rolleyes:

Cheers everyone :lol: There are a good few around, the trick is hitting upon the right night to see them out.

Pin, I know. It'll be next year I'd say before a mod goes on her now. I'm thinking A-10 at the minute. I'd decided on the T8 until I saw the inside of a T4 that hadn't even left the shop, was coated in what I can best describe as dried rusty water if you know what I mean, it'd wash out of it with a bit of work but... Something strippable and over barrel would be good, rifle is long enough as it is.

Take all the fun out of knocking a jump out of my lamper though :lol::rolleyes:

;) ;) Great story John. You didn't like being lamped then ;)

I think it's terrible that you keep splitting up couples ;) .............................SHOOT BOTH OF'EM! ;)

Looks like you've got a grip of your new gun and forearms like popeye will follow :)

Well done john and fair play for leaving that fox that was out that little bit to far id say you will be writing about him/her soon once you get them in range :blush: You always give a great account of how you got the fox i look foward to reading every one of them you write :blush: Sometimes the foxes wont eat the dead sheep for some reason or another i have often seen them in the same area as a dead sheep and they definitly know that the sheep is dead but dont eat it for whatever reason other times as you well know they lay into them :blush: