12G BLACK POWDER LOADS.

Start with the load you want to throw - say 1 ounce to make things simple. Empty a 1 oz cartridge and then cut an empty cartridge shell down until it just holds the 1oz load - you can then use the cut case as a measure for your powder - I would suggest FFG. It's called a "square" load and works well with BP. Hope that helps but someone with more brain cells than me will be along.

14 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Start with the load you want to throw - say 1 ounce to make things simple. Empty a 1 oz cartridge and then cut an empty cartridge shell down until it just holds the 1oz load - you can then use the cut case as a measure for your powder - I would suggest FFG. It's called a "square" load and works well with BP. Hope that helps but someone with more brain cells than me will be along.

Thanks I had read about that. Just wondered if anyone had variations on this.

I shot slugs out of mine, I use 70 grains of medium black (kranks) and roll crimp, not really tried loading shot into a cartridge,

did once try a round of clays with a flintlock brown bess, but thats another story 🙂took ages between clays to reload, but that was 70 grains of black with 28g of no 7 shot.

Scottie 

muzzle loading 12 bore  I use 3 drams of medium or FFG powder and an equal measure of shot. 

3 drams = 80 grains (off the top of my head)

Tried loading some cartridges with the same measurements as a base line and went from there.

After a bit of testing I found 60 grains of FFg and 28 grams of shot to be both comfortable to shoot and effective on clays.

used fibre wads and either federal 209a or cx 2000 primers all finished with a crimp.

Thanks I tried 60grains of ffg and 24 grams of shot but found it to be a bit gentle at around 900fps

I now load 70grains and 28grams of shot. Lot more exiting and seems faster I use standard Lyalvale hulls. 

I see that on the USA websites these loads are considered  "light weight" they use considerable more powder.

I am hoping to shoot some game with black powder over the festive period. I have some of Dunk’s handloads, which I know work just fine on clays, and some factory stuff as well but I have not chrono’d the factory stuff. Does anyone have any idea how fast they fly?  Not that I don’t have full confidence in Superdunk’s stuff, ‘cos I’m sure they will kill pheasants just fine.