W Needham Sheffield Small Bowie Knife

CaptC

A rather nice W Needham of Sheffield Bowie style knife with a blade measuring 4" long. The blade had a covering of light rust which I have cleaned with 2000 grade wet and dry. I leave it to the next owner to finish the job! No dings or damage to the blade's edge which is signed Needham Sheffield.

The handle looks to be a dark fruit wood possibly rosewood?  No, it's stacked leather - thanks PW's - the Cornish sun came out and with a really good look with a magnifying glass I can see it's leather with a lovely patina, The quillion is brass and the pommel alloy with a centred brass holding screw at the top.

The sheath is in very good condition and actually buckles up properly. 

All in all a very good useful and restorable knife.

£25 posted please SOLD TO DOGGER WITH THANKS YET AGAIN!!

DSC_0001 (9).JPG

DSC_0002 (4).JPG

DSC_0003 (8).JPG

Edited by CaptC

I think it is stacked leather. I had a similar knife many moons ago and it had the same type handle and when stacked and compressed leather can be hard like wood.  Almost all the fixed blade knives of that era had leather handles.

Well worth a couple of hours care and preservation.

About turn on the sheath.

Edited by Walker570

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2019 at 12:36, CaptC said:

Hangover! Does it matter? - I don't think it's stacked leather as it is very hard to touch.

It is stacked leather, They clamped tightly to compress it when the glue is applied, They were known as Scout knives in the 20th century and most Sheffield cutlery firms made them!

Here's mine, It's a Rodger product and was made in George's reign, I think Geore 6th, 1936-1952..

avpRZGC.jpg

5BrOWv4.jpg

The buyer got an excellent knife cheaply- Well done!! 👍