Gun case restoration.

panoma1

A while ago I purchased an old gun case off a well known auction site, the case was in really poor condition filthy dirty, leather perished, canvas stained and filthy, no handle, pieces of leather trim missing or rotten, lid side wall missing, inside the badly worn baize was smelly, oily, dusty........why? You may ask, did I buy this piece of carp? Well, the only reason was, it had a very good, original leather “Midland Gun Company”  trade label! I have a Midland BLNE, 3” Mag, SBS, and I wanted to house it in a fitted motorcase, I had already refurbished an old motorcase and was going to fit the trade label in there.....But!.......not wanting to burn the old damaged, dirty but original Midland case, I decided to have a go at resuscitating it! Lol!

I firstly stripped the inside of the case of all partitioning and worn out, dirty baize, then I scrubbed the canvas cover with upholstery cleaner, wiping off the dirt with a damp cloth, when dry it looked much improved so I made a new handle, bought 2 brass “d” rings, made two leather tabs to secure and attach the handle to the case, and sewed the handle on! I then made replicas of the 4 rotten leather strap retainers, and sewed them on, I then replaced the missing lid side piece (luckily the canvas was still attached) re-covered it with the original canvas and replaced the missing leather trim.........

Although I still have to refit the case partitioning and fit new baize, I thought I would put a couple of photos up to show progress!

BAC214B1-80B9-4B3F-882E-AFFB140A3C80.jpeg

1106D8E6-65EF-44E4-AE24-4DFF1D0C2F33.jpeg

78D1CB08-F221-414B-9861-AB75A0AF7786.jpeg

14F26569-0256-42F5-A8D9-B7FD247DD666.jpeg

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Nice, did you get the key? What’s the core made of?

No key 😦......and if by “core” you mean the handles rounded appearance.....that is 3/8” leather strip top and bottom, shaped and sandwiched between the 1” that forms the leather handle!

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Can you get a key made,  I meant is the case wood, tin, or card board?  

I’m not too bothered about a key, the locks are not that complicated, so could probably find one that fitted......if I could be bothered! The case is mostly made of wood but the lid sides are made from some sort of thick card! The whole covered in canvas with leather trim........this is how cheaper English traditional gun cases from the early 20th century were made! The more expensive guns were housed in leather covered cases on an oak frame!
The gun I am planning to fit this case to, is not a top quality gun so the canvas trimmed leather case is more “in keeping”

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i like those old canvas covered cases....they are very usable..:good:are you going to bring the colour up   (greenish)

It is noticeably green Ditchie, but it’s very faded due to age, so It would not be possible “to bring the colour up”....I could re-dye the canvas I suppose, but it’s an old case and I don’t want it to look like a “spoodled up jobbie”.......sympathetic restoration is what lm after! 👍

Edited by panoma1

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well done love to see stuff brought back from the brink 😊👍

I’ve got a box of old keys 🗝 if you’re around my way you’re well to try them 

Or if you have a bit of a template I’ll post some to you there can’t be many variations 

Very kind offer OF, thank you!
I have some work to do to finish the case...but if, when it’s finished, I decide I want to lock it, I may well be in touch......but the IOW is a long way away from Brum for collection in person! Lol! 😏

29 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Green baize, as per original!.........And yes......hide glue!

Well done look forward to the finished article