Another flight pond questions

islandgun

Ive been feeding a splash for the last few weeks. and intend to shoot it one evening this week,  weather is calm on Monday and gales 45-50mph Tuesday and Wednesday . 100% cloud all days. wind in same direction.. when would you have a go ? .. secondly there could be a good chance that i might only get a couple of shots whenever i go, would it be OK to go again a couple of days later ?

cheers IG

I am new to this my self but so far found mornings much better that dusk in fact yet to have decent dusk flight. With weather it seems the rougher the better. Our best morning was gale force winds with a weather warning and the rain battered it down. The ducks loved it. So it seems no such thing as too rough. Just what I have found so far in my first season 

3 hours ago, old'un said:

I guess the question is…are there ducks coming into the splash you have been feeding? Have you sat and watched it of an evening or walked down to it first thing in the morning, were there ducks on it?

Cheers old'un yes I have sat down there into the dark and ducks have turned up, they have also flown away during the day when ive fed it, my plan is to go down late afternoon, feed it then wait to see what happens,  Ive shot the area for several years but never fed any of the splashes. there are more birds in the area than ive ever seen before, [which was the reason for feeding], there's no cover so ive hollowed out a couple of areas behind some banks, Another plan is to sit it out where there is cover, away from the splash and hope for a passing bird or two, perhaps this wouldn't disturb them that much and i would be able to go more often. the picture was taken about 300 yds from the splash and the place where i often sit under a wall. i didn't feed the splashes near to the wall as they are quite deep with a very silty bottom

DSCN8534.JPG.dbf2a3f5442da0a9128979b316e7ec9b.JPG

Steve, when did you start feeding and how often do you feed the splash? what sort of numbers are coming in of an evening?

I have a couple of flight ponds, I usually start feeding around August with a couple of buckets (black builders bucket) of barley tipped into the shallows but this will increase as duck numbers build, depending on numbers and the birds condition I usually have my first shoot the end of September beginning of October, if you have the numbers coming in you could shoot it once a week.

Is that the splash at the bottom of your garden?

17 hours ago, islandgun said:

Ive been feeding a splash for the last few weeks. and intend to shoot it one evening this week,  weather is calm on Monday and gales 45-50mph Tuesday and Wednesday . 100% cloud all days. wind in same direction.. when would you have a go ? .. secondly there could be a good chance that i might only get a couple of shots whenever i go, would it be OK to go again a couple of days later ?

cheers IG

When it's windy and shoot it once a fortnight at most.

50 minutes ago, old'un said:

Steve, when did you start feeding and how often do you feed the splash? what sort of numbers are coming in of an evening?

I have a couple of flight ponds, I usually start feeding around August with a couple of buckets (black builders bucket) of barley tipped into the shallows but this will increase as duck numbers build, depending on numbers and the birds condition I usually have my first shoot the end of September beginning of October, if you have the numbers coming in you could shoot it once a week.

Is that the splash at the bottom of your garden?

Cheers David,  I started feeding the splash about 3-4 weeks ago. as mentioned to try and increase and hold the number of ducks in the area. Usually about 30  - 40 teal and mallard get up from their day time resting pools, they seem to leave these pools at dusk and head off to other areas.  including the fed splash.  my current thinking is to not shoot the fed splash but to get under them between the two, in the hope that a couple of shots wont scare them away and i will be able to go more often [which is what its all about TBH].. Im still feeding the pond at the bottom of the croft and will probably only shoot that a couple of times when conditions are perfect, or when all else fails..😄 

Its only about 500m  from the day resting pools to the fed splash and 3/4 mile to my croft pond

43 minutes ago, Penelope said:

When it's windy and shoot it once a fortnight at most.

Cheers Penelope, we have some 70mph winds forecast this week and i'm intrigued to find out how this will effect the birds movements, if im man enough thats when i will be going out but i might need to tie my hat down..:good:

If they are coming into your fed splash to eat the food you have put in then that is where you should shoot !...…..I take it they are coming in on an evening ?...…..As it gets darker you can pretty much crouch /stand by the waters edge, I have found duck pretty forgiving as the darkness creeps in.....best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Also i tend to shoot mine with less of a rest this time of year as the end of the season nears. As i rest it for two weeks between shooting at the start & mid season but if i do that now would only shoot it a few more times & as theirs up to a 100 plus ducks coming some nights it wont effect it much. That looks a lovely bit of ground you have up there, would love to live there but swmbo said it's too cold 😥.

Edited by fse10