Some help please!!!

fatchap

My dog is not at all well, he's not a working or gun dog he's a pet and has been for 14 years, 

About a week ago he developed an upset stomach, diarrhea vomiting the works, starved him for a few days but no effect, yellow watery stools and he's lost a lot of weight,

Took him to the vet and they diagnosed bad food poisoning, probably eaten something he shouldn't but because of his age his immune system is no match for the bacteria so they gave him very powerful antibiotics, worming tablets and this paste that you squirt into his mouth, which judging by his reaction does not taste too clever, 

He's drinking ok but wont eat anything, turns his nose up at his food, which at the moment is boiled chicken and rice, he's very lethargic and sleeps a lot, The reason I want some advice or help is how if he wont eat anything do I get that dirty great tablet into him twice a day? He just spits it out, At the beginning of the course I wrapped it in ham and he swallowed it, now he wont eat a thing.

I'm really worried about him he seems to have given up, I am sick of people saying he's 14 years old he's had a good run, He's my best pal, His stools are still sloppy but no longer yellow, they are brown, he also tries to go but nothing comes out almost as if he's now constipated, but when he does its still watery but brown in colour and doesn't smell half as bad as when it was yellow.

Some of the side effects of these antibiotic is vomiting and diarrhea, which is confusing as to why a vet would prescribe them for a bacterial infection that cased sickness and diarrhea in the first place??

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by fatchap

Back to the vets mate. There are a few things you can give but on an old and sick dog I would not give anything that the vet hasn't given the go ahead. 

Chappie tinned dog feed is normally good for dogs with bad stomach, also can try some tinned / wet cat food, its normally very rich but dogs often see it as a high value reward. You can also add slippery elm bark powder to firm him up. As said, check with your vet first, as that powder can slow absorption of medications. 

He must be eating little bits or he wouldn't last very long :/ 

Has the vets given a idea? I do hope it isn't the end of his time ... what breed is he? 

Try Yoghurt - if he eats it then try breaking up the tablet in it - might work but dogs have a rather good sense of smell. Tablets that list side effects does not mean that your dog will get them, but they have to be listed. If he doesn't go for the yoghurt my next port of call would be beef consomme.

6 minutes ago, snow white said:

To make him swallow tables put them in his mouth then hold his mouth shut i now it sounds cruel but it’s the only way to make him swallow them.

I am really sorry to hear he is that bad all the best with him.tony

I will give that a go now, he's due a tablet, Holding his mouth shut will be the easy part, letting go and getting away with it is another story. He's not in the best of moods obviously.

Edited by fatchap

Try Complan as he is not eating. It is food in a drink form. You can get it from larger supermarkets like Tesco and bigger pharmacies. Get the plain, not the chocolate flavour.

Will he eat your meals. That is another thing to try if you are not eating anything spicy or with onions , leeks etc in.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

38 minutes ago, snow white said:

To make him swallow tables put them in his mouth then hold his mouth shut i now it sounds cruel but it’s the only way to make him swallow them.

I am really sorry to hear he is that bad all the best with him.tony

Sad news. The tablet needs to be poked to the back of his tongue before holding his mouth shut and stroking his throat. He  will have no choice but to swallow.

good luck