Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manish

Punt guns

Recommended Posts

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Manish said:

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

have a look back thro the history of the forum..............one of the lads made a thread/film of making a punt gun...and another lad made a punt...........

PM one of the Mods and he will point you in the right direction to the thread........its about 30 odd pages of pics and chat..it kept us enthrawled for weeks..........everything you ever dreamed about is on this site...we have either made it used it rebuilt it.......sheds loads of threads............:good:

lots of very very talented folk on here....and if asked nicely they will help you

 

ditch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one I'll get onto that right away. I wonder if anyone has made a working Cindy Crawford (from the early 90s) that didn't bitch and moan about me going shooting all the time??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea ive noticed on a few older threads that photos dont appear, im purely guessing but id say its to do with renting servers or some such that has expired. 

I only ever use this site on my mobile, maybe im completely wrong and they come up if using a pc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe worth getting a copy of the book 'The Gun Punt Adventure' by Colin Willock, where he and Jack Hargreaves designed and built a punt then sourced a suitable gun for it. A good read.

OB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again I really must apologise for what seems like a brutally disparaging comment but the Gun Punt Adventure should only be read as an example of "How Not To" do something. Both the authors had access to a lot of local knowledge about punts and guns which they chose to ignore and ended up producing an abortion of a punt and gun outfit when they could as easily have produced something functional.

Part of the problem is that, if you have no experience of punts and guns it`s easy to assume that, if it appears in a book, it must be right. Often it isn`t.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Manish said:

Ok just found the thread you mentioned. No pics there though. 

The photo bucket expired so unfortunately all the pictures were taken down anyway I found you one 

AF6BD8A9-BCA1-46F5-B246-AD44B8F364F0.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen two different double man punts out past few weeks up north , looked really odd when they  stood up in the boat in the middle of the firth !

Other than that you would find it hard to spot the boat, one crew had a shot when I was  tide flighting other week .

Just read a new Wildfolwing book called somerset wildfowler that also had some interesting punt gun stories in it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Can you give a supplier for the book please ?

I found a few online. Even sent a link for one to the mrs for xmas. I know there is no hope in me getting it for the day as I never get shooting related things

Edited by Manish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Manish said:

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

There are a number of punts in this area, which wildfowling clubs are you in? They would be my first port of call for finding punt gunners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

There are a number of punts in this area, which wildfowling clubs are you in? They would be my first port of call for finding punt gunners. 

Iam a member at EDWA and thats it for now. Next year Im strongly considering joining Fenland Wildfowlers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Manish said:

Iam a member at EDWA and thats it for now. Next year Im strongly considering joining Fenland Wildfowlers 

Ask around in the clubs and you might get some names to talk to. They've very secretive people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solway Sunrise by Desmond Batley is a compilation of articles written by a local Creetown Wildfowler who puntgunned on Wigtown Bay and is a great read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Once again I really must apologise for what seems like a brutally disparaging comment but the Gun Punt Adventure should only be read as an example of "How Not To" do something. Both the authors had access to a lot of local knowledge about punts and guns which they chose to ignore and ended up producing an abortion of a punt and gun outfit when they could as easily have produced something functional.

Part of the problem is that, if you have no experience of punts and guns it`s easy to assume that, if it appears in a book, it must be right. Often it isn`t.

 

Please don't apologise for your comments as you no doubt have far more experience of puntgunning than myself, mine being purely an interest in just reading about it.

I do agree that it should be read as 'How not to do it', but the author (Colin Willock) did admit on several occasions that what they did during the making of the punt was make some serious mistakes. Also they, (Colin Willock & Jack Hargreaves) admitted that the first gun made was, due to their lack of experience and against good advice given, a total disaster.

It's still an interesting read albeit it would seem, flawed in its technical and practical content.

OB

 

1 hour ago, Manish said:

Iam a member at EDWA and thats it for now. Next year Im strongly considering joining Fenland Wildfowlers 

Fenland Wildfowlers always have a stand at the Fenland Fair at Stow c-u-m Quy and I'm sure that you'll receive a friendly and helpful reception by all on their stand.

OB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2019 at 22:51, Manish said:

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

Cleaning is easy. Remove the breech, place one end on a step ladder to raise it. Muzzle end on a piece of ply on the floor. 

Boiling water, a load of kitchen roll and a bloody long dowel. Follow that up with some GT 85. 

Clean the breach/action like any other metal thing that's been around salt water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Cleaning is easy. Remove the breech, place one end on a step ladder to raise it. Muzzle end on a piece of ply on the floor. 

Boiling water, a load of kitchen roll and a bloody long dowel. Follow that up with some GT 85. 

Clean the breach/action like any other metal thing that's been around salt water. 

can you get the breech off on a muzzle loader??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The punt building thread on here was a favourite, the fella even built a shed to build it in.

Well worth a read. Wish we had more topics like it. Ditchy you listening 😂 the Landover resto threads were good to and so are Ditchy old tool resto threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, figgy said:

The punt building thread on here was a favourite, the fella even built a shed to build it in.

Well worth a read. Wish we had more topics like it. Ditchy you listening 😂 the Landover resto threads were good to and so are Ditchy old tool resto threads.

yeh I saw the chaps website very skilled fella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Nope. 

They aren't all muzzle loaders.

Im talking muzzle loader. Like I said im ok cleaning my ML rifle and pistol. I guess I can use a pressure washer and some boiling water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairy nuff. 

I thought it was just a general interest type question. Didn't realise you actually had one. 

I've never cleaned a muzzle loading anything so can't comment on that. Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...