Punt guns

Manish

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Manish said:

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

have a look back thro the history of the forum..............one of the lads made a thread/film of making a punt gun...and another lad made a punt...........

PM one of the Mods and he will point you in the right direction to the thread........its about 30 odd pages of pics and chat..it kept us enthrawled for weeks..........everything you ever dreamed about is on this site...we have either made it used it rebuilt it.......sheds loads of threads............:good:

lots of very very talented folk on here....and if asked nicely they will help you

ditch

Once again I really must apologise for what seems like a brutally disparaging comment but the Gun Punt Adventure should only be read as an example of "How Not To" do something. Both the authors had access to a lot of local knowledge about punts and guns which they chose to ignore and ended up producing an abortion of a punt and gun outfit when they could as easily have produced something functional.

Part of the problem is that, if you have no experience of punts and guns it`s easy to assume that, if it appears in a book, it must be right. Often it isn`t.

Seen two different double man punts out past few weeks up north , looked really odd when they  stood up in the boat in the middle of the firth !

Other than that you would find it hard to spot the boat, one crew had a shot when I was  tide flighting other week .

Just read a new Wildfolwing book called somerset wildfowler that also had some interesting punt gun stories in it .

5 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Can you give a supplier for the book please ?

I found a few online. Even sent a link for one to the mrs for xmas. I know there is no hope in me getting it for the day as I never get shooting related things

Edited by Manish

22 hours ago, Manish said:

I have always had a fascination with these Goliaths of the gun world. Just wondered if anybody had one?? Also how would one clean the thing???

There are a number of punts in this area, which wildfowling clubs are you in? They would be my first port of call for finding punt gunners. 

11 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

There are a number of punts in this area, which wildfowling clubs are you in? They would be my first port of call for finding punt gunners. 

Iam a member at EDWA and thats it for now. Next year Im strongly considering joining Fenland Wildfowlers 

6 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Once again I really must apologise for what seems like a brutally disparaging comment but the Gun Punt Adventure should only be read as an example of "How Not To" do something. Both the authors had access to a lot of local knowledge about punts and guns which they chose to ignore and ended up producing an abortion of a punt and gun outfit when they could as easily have produced something functional.

Part of the problem is that, if you have no experience of punts and guns it`s easy to assume that, if it appears in a book, it must be right. Often it isn`t.

Please don't apologise for your comments as you no doubt have far more experience of puntgunning than myself, mine being purely an interest in just reading about it.

I do agree that it should be read as 'How not to do it', but the author (Colin Willock) did admit on several occasions that what they did during the making of the punt was make some serious mistakes. Also they, (Colin Willock & Jack Hargreaves) admitted that the first gun made was, due to their lack of experience and against good advice given, a total disaster.

It's still an interesting read albeit it would seem, flawed in its technical and practical content.

OB

1 hour ago, Manish said:

Iam a member at EDWA and thats it for now. Next year Im strongly considering joining Fenland Wildfowlers 

Fenland Wildfowlers always have a stand at the Fenland Fair at Stow c-u-m Quy and I'm sure that you'll receive a friendly and helpful reception by all on their stand.

OB

On 08/12/2019 at 22:51, Manish said:

Cleaning is easy. Remove the breech, place one end on a step ladder to raise it. Muzzle end on a piece of ply on the floor. 

Boiling water, a load of kitchen roll and a bloody long dowel. Follow that up with some GT 85. 

Clean the breach/action like any other metal thing that's been around salt water. 

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Cleaning is easy. Remove the breech, place one end on a step ladder to raise it. Muzzle end on a piece of ply on the floor. 

Boiling water, a load of kitchen roll and a bloody long dowel. Follow that up with some GT 85. 

Clean the breach/action like any other metal thing that's been around salt water. 

can you get the breech off on a muzzle loader??

The punt building thread on here was a favourite, the fella even built a shed to build it in.

Well worth a read. Wish we had more topics like it. Ditchy you listening 😂 the Landover resto threads were good to and so are Ditchy old tool resto threads.

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

The punt building thread on here was a favourite, the fella even built a shed to build it in.

Well worth a read. Wish we had more topics like it. Ditchy you listening 😂 the Landover resto threads were good to and so are Ditchy old tool resto threads.

yeh I saw the chaps website very skilled fella