Metal detecting

lap9387

Hi guys;

long time no speak.

Im not shooting anymore and dont hold a licence; but hoping you can help me out with something "for old times sake".

Ive started metal detecting; but permissions are a nightmare as hte Duke of Northumberland wont allow detecting on his land; and most land round by me is his.

Would anyone in the north east area who has a shooting permission mind asking the farmer if i can metal detect on their land?

Obviously you would be welcome to come with me and Im fully insured.

I also have a template for permissions and a split of any substantial finds.

I know its a long shot; but id be greatful if anyone could help!

This coin hoard was found here in the valley this year. The location is still kept under wraps but my land close to an Iron age fort and adjacent an ancient highway, in the heart, of the valley looks to be a likely location. Day permits can be made available for £50 with the usual 60/40split of significant finds in favour of the land owner. Pm me if you are interested. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49487078

A lot of this has come around since facebook there is a few detecting groups on there with big amounts of members . Seem lots of people are getting into it . Lots think they will start detecting and find that big pot of gold . The only rallies I went to in the past  were those that raised money for charities  .

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, do you mean the farmer gets £500 per 100 detectorists?

Yes mate; that's how the club's work up here.

I dont want to take anyone else on, or sell places... I just want somwhere in the northeast where i can go for a walk in the fresh air and escape from all the rubbish going on back home... same as i used to do when shooting. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

This coin hoard was found here in the valley this year. The location is still kept under wraps but my land close to an Iron age fort and adjacent an ancient highway, in the heart, of the valley looks to be a likely location. Day permits can be made available for £50 with the usual 60/40split of significant finds in favour of the land owner. Pm me if you are interested. 

Im ok thanks; defeats the object of wanting somwhere free to go on my own.

2 hours ago, zipdog said:

Just go at night 😀

Against the law mate

2 hours ago, johnphilip said:

A lot of this has come around since facebook there is a few detecting groups on there with big amounts of members . Seem lots of people are getting into it . Lots think they will start detecting and find that big pot of gold . The only rallies I went to in the past  were those that raised money for charities  .

I dont want to have to pay mate; i pay my insurance and i split everything worth value with the land owner...

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Oh Adam and Lisa , they have had some amazing finds over the years . It's all about finding good land , that has had habitation  for thousands of years . 

1 hour ago, lap9387 said:

Yes mate; that's how the club's work up here.

I dont want to take anyone else on, or sell places... I just want somwhere in the northeast where i can go for a walk in the fresh air and escape from all the rubbish going on back home... same as i used to do when shooting. 

Im ok thanks; defeats the object of wanting somwhere free to go on my own.

Against the law mate

I dont want to have to pay mate; i pay my insurance and i split everything worth value with the land owner...

hello, join the UK metal detecting forum, UK MDF and you might find more info on detecting in your area or if any clubs you can join,

There is always somebody or other metal detecting on the beaches near our place in Cornwall. usually at low tide. Don't know if its legal but nobody seems to say anything to them, lots of wrecks just off our coast

My mate was very keen, he used to say green lanes and old bridle ways were good pickings. Since they were tecnically roads the landowner had no say.  Also old cemeteries rather bizarrely

The mudlarks on the Thames have always appealed to me and they do find a lot of stuff, presumably the Tyne is tidal, do they have mudlarks up there?

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There is always somebody or other metal detecting on the beaches near our place in Cornwall. usually at low tide. Don't know if its legal but nobody seems to say anything to them, lots of wrecks just off our coast

My mate was very keen, he used to say green lanes and old bridle ways were good pickings. Since they were tecnically roads the landowner had no say.  Also old cemeteries rather bizarrely

The mudlarks on the Thames have always appealed to me and they do find a lot of stuff, presumably the Tyne is tidal, do they have mudlarks up there?

hello, a lot of beaches in Cornwall are Crown owned but you can get permits and maps where you can go, the Thames detecting permit will cost to buy but i do not think expensive, not sure detecting on the Tyne , but google will give you the 3 above information, there is a beach in Cornwall that people find old coins from a wreck after a storm,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

All land in this country belongs to someone , be it a farmer,  or the council  . Beach you can detect between the high and low water Mark's.  Most beaches belong to the crown , you used to get a permit online free . That has been done away with , you can detect most crown beaches now free. No need for the permit . 

8 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

All land in this country belongs to someone , be it a farmer,  or the council  . Beach you can detect between the high and low water Mark's.  Most beaches belong to the crown , you used to get a permit online free . That has been done away with , you can detect most crown beaches now free. No need for the permit . 

hello, thanks john i did not know on Crown rules of late but there are no go areas that is why i mentioned getting a map, when i started in the 1980s it was very different, !!!!!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

54 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I'd love to try mudlarking, there are a few places up here onthe Tyne 

Thanks for giving me an idea

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Planning on doing a bit of detecting in our woodland. OH bought me a C Scope for my birthday. It's part of an ancient woodland, not far from a famous battle.

There is a seasonal stream too and we are not far from a gold mine, so planning a bit of gold panning too.

hello, oh that sounds interesting, try and find the oldest map online of the area will help,

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

hello, if you contact Paul aka Capt C he mentioned to me some old coins are found from an old ship wreck off a beach near where he lives

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, oh that sounds interesting, try and find the oldest map online of the area will help,

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/

These are a good resource. You just need to click "find a place" and type in the modern name of the nearest place to where your interested in and they bring up all the maps they have on that area. You need a landmark that was around at the time to use as a marker.