Car Insurance quote

steve_b_wales

My renewal quote from LV arrived in the post a few days ago. The price had shot up by approx £90. I contacted them and they 'very kindly' offered to reduce it by £11:00. I told them that I will not renew the policy which expires midnight on 31/12/19.

I went on a comparison website and the cheapest quote came from Lloyds bank, so I paid the premium. Today, I received a letter from Lloyds, stating that because I didn't declare a claim that my wife made on her car, on her policy in 2016 (she was a named driver on my policy) the price had now increased by a further £97:40. I phoned them and said that when I filled in the questionaire online, it asked if I had made a claim in the past 5 years, and did not ask about any named driver. Lloyds could not answer that. Anyway, I had a refund from them, went online and took out insurance with another provider, but did not include my wife on the it.

My son in law, who works for Admiral said that he had never heard of that before. Had I continued with Lloyds and made a claim, it probably would have been refused.

A claim is a claim whether it was by you or a named driver on that policy I would have thought. 

Both our cars are insured by LV and despite being in the habit of doing online comparison checks, I’ve been unable to better their like for like renewal prices in the last 2-3 years. 

46 minutes ago, Hamster said:

A claim is a claim whether it was by you or a named driver on that policy I would have thought. 

Both our cars are insured by LV and despite being in the habit of doing online comparison checks, I’ve been unable to better their like for like renewal prices in the last 2-3 years. 

31 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sounds right to me. 

You had a claim on your policy, that your wife was included on. So you did claim on YOUR policy. 

If you don't reveal that claim, even though your wife is no longer on it, you are risking a void if you make a claim. 

She made a claim on her own insurance policy, not mine.

I've highlighted my post. :)

9 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

She made a claim on her own insurance policy, not mine.

I've highlighted my post.

Was she on your insurance as a named driver when she made the claim on hers? Were you going to put her on your new insurance as a named diver? If so, then you do need to notify, as a potential driver of your vehicle has made a claim in the time specified.

I know I had to when the LCWCB was a named driver on mine.

3 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Was she on your insurance as a named driver when she made the claim on hers? Were you going to put her on your new insurance as a named diver? If so, then you do need to notify, as a potential driver of your vehicle has made a claim in the time specified.

I know I had to when the LCWCB was a named driver on mine.

Yes, she was on my insurance as a named driver when she made the claim on her insurance. I had added her on the new Lloyds insurance I was taking out, but as mentioned, and I've checked again, where it asked if I had made a claim in the past five years, there was nothing that mentioned named drivers.

On 09/12/2019 at 14:54, Hamster said:

Lv wanted £1100 more than I’m paying through Hastings . £1400 a year for a £700 terios 😂

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

Lv wanted £1100 more than I’m paying through Hastings . £1400 a year for a £700 terios 😂

That’s probably because the car fell outside their target segment. We have all got used to our insurer coming up with uncompetitive renewal quotes which many accept because they just don’t shop around, my point was that LV appear to have decided that retaining customers makes good long term sense.