R.I.P old friend

fatchap

I recently posted in the dog section about my best friend George, lovely lad had him for 14 wonderful years, He was in all sorts of trouble with his stomach, wouldn't eat or drink or take his medication, Took him to the vets today and after a blood test it transpires he was at final stage renal failure and nothing they can do. So me and the family said goodbye to possibly the most one off staffie ever, I am in bits just as bad when I lost my mum, I feel I have let him down and should have done more but the vet assures me there was nothing that could have been done, yes they could put him on fluids that would clean his blood but after a short time the toxins would be back resulting in liver and heart failure. My heart has been torn out of my chest, I know I have done him the best favour I could as his friend, so why do I feel like ****?

RIP George safe journey my son my mum is waiting for you.

Some people regard their dogs as just a working tool, I could never understand that.
Losing a dog is a real bereavement, as real as any other. I find it strange that we can do what is best for our dogs when the time comes, but it is illegal to do likewise for others we love. Watching someone you love struggling to die is one of the hardest things to witness.

You have my sincere sympathies. 

We had my cat put down a few years back and I still look out for her everytime at my mums . I was 14 when I had her and I still remember the day. She was 22 when we had here put to sleep. My sister had died younger than my cat  so it was very emotional.
In the time I’d had her I’d left school, had a family , house, met my wife , lost my big sister and hit 37 . 

14 years with a pet/dog is a long time. 

Sorry to read this, my sister lost her staffie a few months back, he was 13 and had been the most loving dog that you could want, unfortunately she had the same decsion to make that you did, it's absolutely horrible and I dread the day that I'll be in the same position with mine.

Thanks for the reply's people, We decided to have him cremated rather than buried in the garden, couldn't stand the idea of going out there and some fox had dug him up,

At least I will have something of him to say hello to and goodnight to, such a shame the urn can't wag its tail like he did every time he saw me or anyone else come to that.

I know how your feeling mate (as will every other member who has lost a four legged friend) having lost the best dog I've owned in may of this year .

She was her normal self until she very unexpectedly collapsed and that was it .

Losing her has affected me more than losing my dad as I knew he was dying (cancer) where as jess was fine (or so I thought) . She is still a huge miss so please accept my thoughts and sympathy at losing a family member / best friend/ companion.

Right that's it I'm away to wipe my eyes 

Edited by hodge911

The hardest part of owning a dog is when the time come to say good bye , after owning a few dogs you would expect making that fateful decision would become easier , if anything it is a lot harder as now I am retired I spend nearly every minute of every day in his company and I know life would be a lot darker place without him .

You gave George a good life, and you knew the time was right to make that decision we all hate to make , as a lot have already said , remember the good times and I am sure you have got many good times to remember George by .

We had our last Springer cremated but I didn't want the Ashes (wont bore you with why) - we all wrote her a message and took the paper to her favourite place and burned it then stood and cried like babies as we watched the smoke rise. I go to the site as often as I can and talk to her and leave a flower - it helps but still very emotional. RIP George, sounds like you were loved and that's all most Dogs ever ask.

Feel for you fella,  all is dog lovers have felt your pain and will do so again.

My wife's little lasha apso is getting on 12 now so won't have more than a year or so as his health is failing, cost a small fortune in last few years but it's like a child to my wife.

Don't normally do personal type stuff on line. But I'm feeling for you, lost my shadow 6 months ago, Buster was my Patterdale and went everywhere with me including work. But due to ongoing conditions and complications the decision was made. Then our springer Kizzy went a similar way the other day. 

House just isn't the same without dogs clearing up after me. 

On 09/12/2019 at 17:57, rich1984 said:

You've not let George down pal, you made the best decision for him. 

Ive got 2 staffs myself at age 13. Its such a shame they dont live as long as we do ! 😔

RIP George .

I didnt think itd be this quick but, im taking one of mine to the vet for the last time tomorrow following a visit to the vets today that made my mind up.

Sad times , i feel your pain .

Better to let them go before it gets to bad for them. 

I'm sorry to hear the sad news. Read the poem 'The Last Battle' - it helped me when I had to make the decision a few years ago.

16 hours ago, rich1984 said:

I didnt think itd be this quick but, im taking one of mine to the vet for the last time tomorrow following a visit to the vets today that made my mind up.

Sad times , i feel your pain .

Better to let them go before it gets to bad for them. 

Sad news indeed. Read the poem 'The Last Battle', it helped me when I had to make that decision a few years ago.