Dumped urban fox's!

NatureBoy

Any one else have this problem in there area or know who's doing it?? Been going on round my way for years to varying degrees. But been getting a lot worse these last 2 years! Fox shooters been getting 4/5 a night and more where there was none! A lot with mange or that have been treated for mange. Some with shaved patches operation scares etc. Heard of some that have been nuitered. Have shot 4 myself sniffing round the back of my truck in field in broad daylight in recent years, but never linked they might have been some of the recently dumped urban animals until i got talking to other shooters, farmers and countrymen that had shot, seen or had problems with more about the same times, or had the same happen. Heard of some confronting reporting people caught doing it but nothing seems to come of it! Folk are getting fed up with it. Recently local to me there was reports of public finding 4 dead or near dead fox's in 1 day. Rumour mill got going after these people suddenly became experts and assumed they had been poisoned! As it was ground i shoot on and just out of interested i asked to see them and who found them. No joy! Ended up on social media and RSPCA informed. Who's advise was to report any dead or dieing fox's to them and to keep dogs on leads. Strange! I wonder who's funding it? These so called "do gooders" that are doing it have no idea! Even after being caught and told not to and why! It totally unbalances the local managed ecology and the number of local fox's that are tolerated. Cause's havoc to wildlife (hare numbers) ,around farms, livestock and shoots. Many of these weak and starving bin raiders just have no idea how to hunt or den in the countryside soon go down hill and spread disease. Hopefully a shooting journalist is going to take it up! Causes a lot more work for those that really care and know how to manage the countryside and wildlife! Enuff is enuff!!!  Another rant over!  Bahh! Humbug!     NB   

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most pest control companies who catch foxes in traps have no legal way of killing the foxes they catch so they simply take them for a drive and release them. Its standard procedure, in fact many of the companies make it a selling point, advertising it as humane capture etc. Its not illegal to release foxes (it is illegal to release squirrels) so nobody is doing anything even remotely illegal

Years ago it was legal (indeed recommended) to drown them in a rain butt but that got stopped

There are fox rescue organisations dotted around the country

www.foxproject.org.uk/

perhaps you are near one

Edited by Vince Green

Still going on for sure. I shoot an area close to some new forestry and there is an access gate 350yrds on the other side in a very quiet lane. Ideal.  We have been shooting foxes continually for the last six months and most have been seriously mangy animals, typical townie foxes because they just sit and look at you. Occasionally shoot a fox or two at the other end of the farm and they are in good nick and as sharp as razors, country foxes, totally different.  Another friend is shooting them almost nightly in some fields behind his home and again they just keep coming and are 'town smart'  just sit and look at you. Certainly not country foxes.

Twenty years ago I was shooting a lot of foxes on a small 160 acre sheep farm. Shot 200 in under two years. I mentioned it to a shooting friend who laughed and told me he worked for the council and their pest controllers were not allowed to kill any foxes they trapped, but were instructed to release them in the local “country” park, run by the council.........which bordered my sheep farm. Under the hedge and straight into a 45 grain soft point!

It says on the goverments web site that you cant release captured foxes .

And unnessesary stress to the fox and you can be fined 20 k and or 6 months inside .

The humane way is dispatch in the trap .

Id say transporting a fox 20 miles in the back of a van and dumped out is a lot of stress for and animal .

IMG_20191210_215907.jpg

IMG_20191210_220447.jpg

For a laugh wake up early and watch Wildlife SOS on channel 5 at 530am in the week. They 'rescue' and release everything. Dying RTA deer, RTA badgers and mangy foxes. I got an extra bit of permission recently bordering a small perm I have that's a wildlife X roads and the farmer explicitly said the RSPCA dump foxes on his groud and if I wanted the duck flighting I had to shoot every fox on sight. 

12 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

For a laugh wake up early and watch Wildlife SOS on channel 5 at 530am in the week. They 'rescue' and release everything. Dying RTA deer, RTA badgers and mangy foxes. I got an extra bit of permission recently bordering a small perm I have that's a wildlife X roads and the farmer explicitly said the RSPCA dump foxes on his groud and if I wanted the duck flighting I had to shoot every fox on sight. 

That Farmer is extremely sensible!:good:

Shoot I was on used to have RSPCA releasing foxes. Shoot captain used to shoot them all.

He caught the van once no markings releasing them so spoke to him, told him he shoots every fox he released.

Not see van again.

You could keep all the foxes with patches and stitches from treatment drop them all back at the local RSPCA or fox project with a note not to release anymore into farmland.

Edited by figgy

Same my way! And they have been told the same. Hasn't stopped them here. Been going on for years! But numbers of dumped/treated fox's increasing more recently! Hence the topic. Bet none get dumped on llocal reserves! Hard to believe these people can still be so ignorant! Waste of time and money! I hope Anti's have people gathering facts off here!     NB

Don't know if its still happening in my area, but......Many years whilst waiting for dark on one of my favourite sea trout pools I saw a white van pull in to a layby on the road above the pool, open the van and release 3 foxes from some cage traps. The layby is near where my wife was brought up, and they often saw a white van there on summer evenings.

Cheers

Aled

Used to have it on a syndicate I was on caught them doing it they refused to stop we showed them the mangy Ill dieing fixes they still refused to stop. We made it quicker  we sat a few yards into the wood near their drop of point (car park) as the foxes walked out looking quite lost we shot them, after the second batch they stopped coming. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 21:41, Ultrastu said:

I thought it was illegal  to release captured foxes ?? 

No in fact, its a bit arguable whether or not its "un necessary cruelty" to kill them once they are in the trap since by then they no longer present a threat to livestock. There are a few organisations, the RSPCA no doubt being one,  that would like to have a go at prosecuting somebody for that one. Ever hungry as they are for publicity.

Its becoming dodgy ground.