Used cartridges

Hi lads I load new 20 bore cases I have tried loading used ones but they will not crimp properly or bulge the cases I have had success in the past with rolled turn.

My question is how much can I get away with case above the shot card or how much case do I need to make a good roll turn.

Thanks for looking 

Got all the stuff of john at Folkestone my question is how much do I need to make nice roll turn.

The crimp finish on new cases is spot on why does it like doing used cases with same ingredients as new cases the only thing I can think is the dia is but people reload 410 with out any problems.

I am using a Mev 600 

I load 410s crimped with few problems. Yes, using used shells you do get an occasional twisted one, probably 5%. I still shoot them and they seem to do the job.   I use the Mec 600 as well.

Hmmmm?????  Thinking......  What is happening to the used cases ?     I can only think probably two things. The starter die is not getting chance to locate the original crimp marks so ease up on feeding the die in.... little gentler ..try it, it may work. Similarly  when you finish the crimp just take it easy let it all fold into place.   I might be completely off track here but worth a try.

I'm wondering if the fired cases have stretched just enough that the settings perfect for the new cases is just a bit low for the used...you also say bulging which also indicates the crimp die might be going down too far.     I had the same problem initially with Fiocchi 410 cases I was finding the shells would not chamber or where tight and on careful measurement found the case slightly bulged. Eased the crimp die back not 1/4 turn and problem solved.   Hope this helps.

I would say you need about 3/16th ..???  6mm showing above the card and a smear of wax on the GAEP die helps. I use WD40 just a smear to spin my crimped shells.

Edited by Walker570

I have measured the cases with gauge the difference if any is nothing.

The crimp start is a brass one so I can see old crimp lines I am thinking about what you are saying about backing of crimp finish will have look at that first before I start trimming cases down as rolling takes to long mind you I do like to see a nice rolled cartridge.

I shot one of the highest teal I have ever raised a gun to with a rolled cartridge couple years ago I can still picture it now.

Thank you for your advice on backing crimp finish will let you know how I get on tomorrow .

i load 20g with mec 600,dont have any problems with crimping now,i bought a brass one from the bay it will work with 12g down to 410,i found the plastic crimp starter made by mec total rubbish,the brass one does the job perfecthttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crimp-starter-12-16-20-28ga-brass-free-rotating-for-MEC-and-similar/293340224933?hash=item444c709da5:g:Ro4AAOSw3QldZYyI

• 4 weeks later...