Restoring 410 case mouths

I lucked on a Lee Loader set for 410 which has a 'shell conditioner' as part of the parcel (second from right in picture), this is what is used to widen the mouths where they are not parallel to shell wall.

Whilst ok, one turned from brass and drill mountable would allow for quicker and easier use.

If you want I can measure mine to give the taper. -

UPDATE Excluding the knurled grip, mine tapers from 0.485 to 0.300 over an inch

leeloader.jpg

Edited by Stonepark

I have some roll turnover cases ..factory...which I am slowly using along with my own reloads and have reloaded a few of them and to date have had no problem crimping them. There again I measure all my powder and shot individually and pour it into the cases and have had no problems pushing over powder card and felt wad in either  The factory roll turnover cases do have a slight curl after being fired.   Pretty simple to turn up a cone shape either in hard wood or ally to do the job though if it helps.  A piece of dowel in a power drill could quickly be tapered on some glass paper starting course and then to fine.   Easier still if you have a bench sander with the drill holding the dowel and rotating anti clockwise..

The distorted case mouth will probably be hard (and more brittle?) where it’s been affected by the heat produced on firing! A warmed, tapered metal mandrel pushed into the case mouth, should enable the case to be stretched back into shape with minimal danger of the case mouth splitting! Tapping the external case mouth with a hammer, whilst the mandrel is inserted, will help to ensure the distorted case mouth doesn’t spring back! As the plastic will have some memory!

On 15/12/2019 at 10:28, sitsinhedges said:

I turned a taper on a bit of 12mm brass rod this morning down to about 6mm over maybe 30mm long. It goes in nicely and overstretched slightly so I end up at about the right place. Takes very little time for each shell. Now all I need is a Mec600 in 410 😎

As I have said before I only use my Mec 600 for depriming and resizing, putting in the primers and putting in the wds etc.  Crimping.  I measure all my powder and shot and pour that from the scoop straight into the case. Don't be afraid to just check what gives you a best crimp, it does slightly vary from case make to make and I load 18.7 to 18.9 of 6s or 7s and to be honest it is only two or three pellets but that can make a big difference to how the crimp sits and doesn't appear to have adverse effects on the performance.  Hope this helps   I found tracing a set of 410 tools for a Mec 600 for sale in the UK was difficult to impossible and I had mine shipped from the USA.

Edited by Walker570