Dysons

Scully

Over the years I’ve been self employed I have encountered who knows how many Dyson vacuum hoovers, and am still surprised to find out how many folk have them, considering they seldom work as they should. 
A pharmacist I once worked for told me she bought a top of the range Dyson for her house and a Henry for the shop, but was so impressed with the latter she swapped them around. 
Have just come away from a house where I plugged in the owners all bells and whistles Dyson only to find it didn’t pick up. The elderly gent looked at it for a moment, shook his head, and said he was puzzled as to why it wouldn’t work, then said they ‘ hardly used this one but we do have another.’ He returned with a Henry! 😃 ‘This is the one I always use’ he said, placing it on the floor. 
Anyone got a Dyson that actually works? 😃

I have had a dyson for the last 11 years its excellent. Bought another wall version, battery type two years ago and that's also pretty good. Having said that it does not look as robust and well made as the original.

Have to wash out the filters every 6 months or so but otherwise nothing. 

We have 3

1 corded  15 years old works fine provided you maintain it.

1 battery 10 years old working fine but maintained regularly

1 battery (we inherited) 15 years old works fine provided you maintain it. and needed a new battery.

SIL had a Shark, and granted it sucked, but in more ways than it should = fell apart in 9 months and despite a 3 yr guarantee it took 3 months and many contacts to get more than a wear and tear response and another 4 months to get her money back, despite having bought direct.

Purchased three Henry types from Screwfix...Titans... for £25 each one for my workshop one for downstairs and one for upstairs and third storey and now after three years they are still sucking away, in fact they suck so well you have to be very careful or as said something the size of a golf ball will vanish up the pipe.  Also have a G TECH rechargeable which is absolutely amazing. It seriously embarrased us when we first had it with the amount of dirt it sucked from the carpets. It also handily packs the dust into neat 'bales' which can be lifted out and disposed off.

That reminds me, must wash the filters on the GTECH.

Edited by Walker570

Dyson rechargeable - just over 2 years old and every single part has been replaced under warranty with the exception of the metal tube - these things will not pick up Hair (wraps around the roller) building dust (clogs the filter in no time) or even those little goose grass seeds that stick to your Dog in the summer. Absolute rubbish - we used Henry's at work (school) and these are far superior.

I'm a huge Dyson fanboy. No kidding over the last 5 years i must have bought ten, probably more. For my warehouse, home, car, garage, dog basket they are the bees knees.

James Dyson is a true entrepreneur who employs a lot of good British people in the UK. At one time i had a lot of involvement with Bath Rugby (through a sponsorship deal) he was respected by all in his dealings with the club and put a lot back.

He was educated in Norfolk and again supports his background and beliefs. Recently he donated £19 million to a local school. You don't get that from an offshore competitor. 

Gresham School Norfolk

He makes superb "hoovers" and watch this space soon enough he will make electric cars that work and we can all afford !

Keep it local keep it British. 

Edited by Whitebridges

Not wishing to get too picky , but hoover is a brand name , as Dyson is a brand name.

Lots of binmen use Dyson vacuum cleaners , lots of folks put them out with the rubbish on bin day and the guys take them home and clean them out properly. 

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Not wishing to get too picky , but hoover is a brand name , as Dyson is a brand name.

Lots of binmen use Dyson vacuum cleaners , lots of folks put them out with the rubbish on bin day and the guys take them home and clean them out properly. 

Just about to say this. Loads of folk don’t know Re basics of cleaning the filter Etc, and presume they’re burst.

We've had one for 15 years, it’s had a hard life but still going. 

Useless things. My parents have a Dyson V10 animal, which is meant to do plenty of singing and dancing and they paid a hefty sum for it! But the filter clogs relentlessly and I swear it's loud enough to damage your hearing. I'm not overly impressed with its suction, either. Katy and I have a much less flashy Vax blade and it's so much better. More comfortable to use too, as you don't have to keep your finger clenched on a trigger all the time.

As I was reading this a Dyson ad came on the telly and said "more suction than most corded". Over the years I have had a DC04 and a DC07 and they both steadily dropped in performance despite cleaning the filters the air velocity dropped. If the velocity is low the section is almost irrelevant. I now have at home a Hoover branded bagless vacuum which is really good and so far cleaning the filters each time the cylinder is emptied has maintained it's velocity, its now about two years old.  At work I have a Kirkby vacuum which is also very good but it uses a disposable bag, when you notice a drop in performance you change the bag and it is like new again. The downside with the Kirkby is it costs about £20 a year in bags.