Dysons

Scully

I think dysons are pathetic .every time ive used one without exception .they are stupidly designed with all sorts of hoses and clips and faf.and after you have worked it all out they dont suck anything up .

I have a henry in a professional capacity. - site vac .is sucks up wood , rocks , water ,glue , dust , screws ,tools ,and pets given a chance .

I open my van ,it falls out, rolls down the road gets hit by a truck .i get it back olug it in and it cleans up any mess ive just been making .

Ps mines 10 years old and going strong .

Henrys were standard issue when I worked in student accommodation services at the local uni, and the only way the students found to kill them was sucking up water with them...I 'built' my Henry out of dead Henrys, and apparently FrankenHenry is still going strong.

Dysons, on the other hand, are over-priced, noisy and unpleasant to use.  But for some reason incredibly popular.  What baffles me, is they seem to take great delight in using cheap feeling, brittle plastics, on something that costs hundreds.  The aforementioned Titans from Screwfix have a higher quality feel to them.

Not a fan of Dyson - are expensive for not great performance.   Take a look at Sebo - German, built like tanks, nothing falls off and they suck for England and Germany combined.   They have a support centre in High Wycombe who are so helpful.

About 25 years ago I bought a  long since discontinued Airbelt C1, after about 15 years the suction power controller (it's in the handle - with an electrical cable in the hose) died.  Called Sebo UK to buy a spare - they gave me a price and in the next breath said we have a used machine that's been used in our service engineer training department - probably been taken apart 100 times..you can have it for £15....I still have it, now lives in the garage for car vac use..still works perfectly.

29 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Not a fan of Dyson - are expensive for not great performance.   Take a look at Sebo - German, built like tanks, nothing falls off and they suck for England and Germany combined.   They have a support centre in High Wycombe who are so helpful.

About 25 years ago I bought a  long since discontinued Airbelt C1, after about 15 years the suction power controller (it's in the handle - with an electrical cable in the hose) died.  Called Sebo UK to buy a spare - they gave me a price and in the next breath said we have a used machine that's been used in our service engineer training department - probably been taken apart 100 times..you can have it for £15....I still have it, now lives in the garage for car vac use..still works perfectly.

Mum had a sebo for years and years. If i remember it had a light on the front which was old fashioned then. Worked well. 

first choice henry    second choice wet and dry titan from toolsataion / screwfix  about £50  noisy but do the job  customers asked can I borrow for the weekend as my dyson cant do that suck the carpet off the floor 

however if you use the costumers dyson  you hoover up brick dust or plaster dust     ( its scrap be warned   don't do it ill cost you )          one reason I never use a  costumers vac always use my own  so never  have a problem with         you owe me a new hoover   because   bla bla     (  if they use theirs after mine no case to answer ) £50 pounds can save you a £300 chav party also claim new dyson     before work commences walk  through property  highlighting damaged decorating before you start / videoing on your mobile  highlight decorating / woodwork  blemishes before you start work   (cover your backside  before and after ) and let them know you have observed damage  pointing out as you go ,    no dramas after job completion  ?  had one complain about a door I fitted  ie colour etc wanted a different door three times expensive  etc  dooh            I fitted the door which was supplied and stained by the customer   pictures are the only thing that saved me when it went to court as the customer is always right   my £65 .00 bill          the undesirables were after stress   lack of sleep etc new door painted same style  etc   ,   they lost big time  I went for loss of earnings deformation of character  face book  negative feedback etc etc    be aware  if chavs £5 a month  for the next twenty  many years        photograph all possible cosmetic  damage / highlight  damage before works  start  best advice I can give anyone self employed photograph or a video walk through  ill save you    in the long run        video everything inc where you park on the driveway or use a tarp to cover the entire driveway  no case to answer despite staining 

there was one house / tenant I could not be  alone and inc video evidence dew to passible allegations        6 month to evict     owed 3k on gas 1.5k on electric  and £180.00 to the local milk man    as kids under five  didn't pay anything  and bank statements left received 26kper anum  from the dole 

sadly there is always some one  waiting to rip am honest worker off all day every day 

Edited by Saltings

I have two Dyson handheld rechargeables; expensive, but work quite well, but brittle plastic breaks easily - VERY expensive to replace and accessories not interchangeable between the two, which is annoying.  Short run time on a charge.  Filers need very frequent cleaning.  Hugely expensive for what they are.

I have a Vax rechargeable; much cheaper, has two batteries and runs quite a while on each.  Performance is very limited and hose stupidly short.  Not bad on carpets and convenient.

I have an older Miele which is excellent, but has a short tubes and short not very flexible hose (can't reach room corners in high rooms without optional extra pipes).  Powered head is very good.  A good machine.  Bags not expensive on line, but expensive from dealers.

I have a Nilfisk 'builders type'.  Very powerful, huge, heavy, noisy - but does the job very well and not expensive for what it does.  Long, light, flexible hose, and very basic (and 'plasticy') accessories.  Bought when I had major building work, and coped superbly.  Superb performance, but noisy and cumbersome.

Had a second hand Dyson 10 or so years ago didn't last long. Had 2 Henrys since then. Wife loves them, despite me walking into the kitchen one day to flames coming out of the 1st one whilst she was merrily vacuuming!

For those bigging up Mr Dyson and his landownership it is worth pointing out that his vast purchasing power pushed up the price of land in the area. This then pushed up local tenant farmers rent quite significantly. I also know several people lost their shooting permissions due to his acquisitions.....

We just got an upright plugged in Shark. Amazing how much we picked up on the two rugs downstairs and the carpet on the stairs, landing and bedrooms - literally filled the cannister up (mainly dog hair).

Never rated Dyson, we had two Miele expire over time and always thought Henrys are mustard but this one is in a different class.

PS - why do grown men who, I suspect, rarely vacum get so excited about vacum cleaners...? 

54 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

PS - why do grown men who, I suspect, rarely vacum get so excited about vacum cleaners...? 

It's that moment you use it for the first time and it's so powerful it pulls the carpet up 🤭 or, if it's an old one, seeing what you can get away with hoovering up and seeing if it carries on running 😂

12 hours ago, Wb123 said:

The parents use dysons and they work exceptionally well if you keep them well maintained.

Had a Dyson some years back. Wifey disliked the gadgety thing with bits that kept dropping off and continuous blockages and I got fed up with having to sort it out all the time. How he ever got away with the "No loss of suction" catch line in the ads is beyond me as that's exactly the problem with every Dyson and every other bagless vacuum I've come across.

So it's back to old Henry that's been kept in a shed, used and abused cleaning up building dust, workshop debris, decorating mess etc for the last 20 years or more. Battered to hell, covered in paint splashes and scratches but still works like it did when new - and it never loses suction.

Had a few dysons, by that i mean ive pulled a few out of skips, changed some filters and blown parts out with a airline, tried them and sold them on ebay and bought a decent hoover. 

Guy i works with has 3. Upstairs, downstairs and the stairs. I dont understand the obsession with them, they only last him 2 years or so. Suppose its like iphones, a must be seen accessorie for the house. 

I had a Dyson once. I bought the pet version. I suppose it was meant to cope with only one pet. Despite regular cleaning and filter changing it only lasted about 4 years.

Much prefer Numatics. The filter bag is washable and the cloth filter. They just get swapped out for the plastic tank when washing floors and carpets. The Numatic George I bought in 2012 is going fine and my Daughter borrows it to shampoo her carpets too as she has a Shark vac now.

Daughter has had two Dysons before the Shark. One rechargeable and one upright. Neither lasted well.

5 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

Bought the mrs a cordless v6 2 years ago - she is a compulsive cleaner.. keep it clean and replace filters it’s still as good as when I bought it. 

would deffo buy another. 

There you go that`s the answer, 👍 clean every day so there very little clean then maintain it by regularly replacing parts and all is good 😁. Or buy a different make and have none of the hassle . 

This post is posted in good spirit and meant to be humorous. 👍

6 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

Bought the mrs a cordless v6 2 years ago - she is a compulsive cleaner.. keep it clean and replace filters it’s still as good as when I bought it. 

would deffo buy another. 

Our receptionist brought her V6 in for me to repair as she said it would not suck, cleaned the filter and the head which was virtually blocked. She said she could suck a golf ball through a hosepipe now 😗😊

Mick