Predictions?

Scully

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

voting for a party because they probably won't restrict shooting seems a bit silly with all that's going on, but surely its reason enough to spend 5 mins going to vote?

I'm voting for a party I (generally) support, but in fact since I live in a very safe seat and vote for the incumbent, my vote is far from critical. 

However - the Labour party, Greens and to some extent LibDems draw a significant part of their support from the 'lefty snowflaky' groups, and most harder anti shooting/field sports (ALF and LACS) are very much towards the harder left. 

Labour and LibDem have also been very negative about firearms ownership in the past.  I do think that anyone who is interested in field sports and shooting needs to consider whether their chosen party would support their chosen sport should there be (as there undoubtedly will be in the not too distant future) attempts made to restrict them from the likes of LACS, ALF, WJ and their ilk.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Aled said:

Does anybody here vote for a candidate first, and a party second?

Under some circumstances I might, but not with the present list we (in my constituency) have - none of whom stand out.  Overall however - it is the party that forms the government that will determine our future success/failure, laws, taxation, foreign policy, spending priorities.

7 hours ago, Scully said:

I hope I’m wrong but I’m predicting it’s labour. 

Sadly, experience tells?

The only certainty here is that whichever clowns win, we, the plebs will inevitably be worse off?

Having made us the weakling laughing stock of Europe each will pursue it's own version of subjugation while having their own snouts buried to the point of drowning in the public trough?

Boom and bust will be forged on the issues of climate change, NHS and HS2? Fortunes made and increased?

How many remain leaning Tory's have been removed from the party? If as predicted the Tory's get a majority it will hopefully be small. The lead will fall apart with a radical right wing agenda on Brexit and a more conciliatory moderate outcome might be more likely. Let us hope that if there is some form of power share the prize of PR is grasped and we then have a chance of dealing with the global challenges that our two party system is ill equipped to manage. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

How many remain leaning Tory's have been removed from the party? If as predicted the Tory's get a majority it will hopefully be small. The lead will fall apart with a radical right wing agenda on Brexit and a more conciliatory moderate outcome might be more likely. Let us hope that if there is some form of power share the prize of PR is grasped and we then have a chance of dealing with the global challenges that our two party system is ill equipped to manage. 

So you want another hung parliament and another period of not being able to do anything?

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

So we can agree to move forward with an option that works rather than one step forward and two back. 

I don't see how that can happen. The most effective governments are the ones that make plans and see them through. The worst ones are those driven by ideology rather than rational and objective actions. The middle way philosophy produces numpties like Nick Clegg and has never achieved anything bar some tinkering at the detail level.

Just now, Westward said:

I don't see how that can happen. The most effective governments are the ones that make plans and see them through. The worst ones are those driven by ideology rather than rational and objective actions. The middle way philosophy produces numpties like Nick Clegg and has never achieved anything bar some tinkering at the detail level.

? We have no plans only parties driven by ideologies rather than rational and objective actions. So it will happen. The middle way philosophy has worked well for Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden. You might also add Germany to that group. 

Ask how we will deal with the long term issues of the NHS or climate change without it.

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

Ask how we will deal with the long term issues of the NHS or climate change without it.

Starting with the NHS, my view is  that no one can fix it as it stands and throwing in ever increasing tranches of money simply delays the eventual implosion that can only be prevented by root and branch restructuring. Same principle applies to climate change, lets stop kidding ourselves that it can be prevented and instead, crack on with working out how to deal with it.

Running round like chickens with their heads chopped off bleating about "Protecting our NHS" and "Reducing our carbon footprint" achieves nothing.

5 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

Any thoughts on how to prepare for best survival should Corbyn get in ?

I genuinely fear the current labour organisation getting in. And Lib Debs not much behind them either.

you don't have to worry about us in parliament. Swinson's shot the lot of us in the feet with her 'We're going to cancel Brexit' routine. It'll be a good share of the vote but very few seats; at least that's what all the internal polls are suggesting. Plenty of second places, but not lots of seats. 

As for Corbyn? don't worry, they won't win. The best they can hope for is a hung parliament and more confusion. Corbyn won't be in any shape to be elected until he a) sorts out the antisemitism row and b) stops momentum assassinating his own politicians. Given that he doesn't seem to want to do either, it's not much of a case to say he's ready for leadership.

41 minutes ago, Westward said:

Starting with the NHS, my view is  that no one can fix it as it stands and throwing in ever increasing tranches of money simply delays the eventual implosion that can only be prevented by root and branch restructuring. Same principle applies to climate change, lets stop kidding ourselves that it can be prevented and instead, crack on with working out how to deal with it.

Running round like chickens with their heads chopped off bleating about "Protecting our NHS" and "Reducing our carbon footprint" achieves nothing.

Exactly. The only. Way forward on. NHS is consensus. Samme with. cllimate change. 

12 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I don't gamble but tempted to have a flutter on Diane Abbott as Home Secretary completing the Trump & Johnson trilogy. I know, some things should not be joked about but... 

It’s got to be worth a tenner; no one expected us to vote to leave the EU, before the votes were counted! 👍

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Exactly. The only. Way forward on. NHS is consensus. Samme with. cllimate change. 

NHS shouldn't be political, it should be above that, it's there to serve the people, not be used for point scoring. 

Climate change? Don't see how our little island can effect anything really when China Russia USA for three can do as they please, and quite simply dwarf us completely, sounds good though and means we can be taxed more.