Predictions?

Scully

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to the thread, I predict a small, but workable Tory majority, LibDems back to 11 or 12 mps, slight SNP gain, 1 Green, no Brexit or Change MPs and slightly less DUP.  
Next activities will be Labour internal civil war and maybe a splinter group, LibDems leadership campaign to follow after Swinson is made to look like a mug in parliament.

Also predict a bit of a civil war in Scottish indy movement and a softening of support for SNP and Sturgeon in particular in the first half of next year.

16 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Late to the thread, I predict a small, but workable Tory majority, LibDems back to 11 or 12 mps, slight SNP gain, 1 Green, no Brexit or Change MPs and slightly less DUP.  
Next activities will be Labour internal civil war and maybe a splinter group, LibDems leadership campaign to follow after Swinson is made to look like a mug in parliament.

Also predict a bit of a civil war in Scottish indy movement and a softening of support for SNP and Sturgeon in particular in the first half of next year.

Sounds about right to me, although I think we might be surprised by the tory gains, as Brexit party support seems to have melted away, and quite rightly so.

Tactical .

19 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I am hoping  the SNP will loose some seats , if the tactical voting works , that people are talking about , fingers crossed . And hopefully the weather may affect  some 9f the outcome with other parties. 

8 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I am hoping  the SNP will loose some seats , if the tactical voting works , that people are talking about , fingers crossed . And hopefully the weather may affect  some 9f the outcome with other parties. 

I very much hope they drop too, just not confident about it

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Just remember this before voting

30DFE247-CD73-439A-A0B2-07D2217DCCFC.jpeg

Stinks doesn't it, but mustn't upset those that vote for you.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Gobsmacked............

went up the village hall this morning....drizzling with rain......................I HAD TO BLOODY CUE...

NEVER EVER SEEN IT LIKE THIS...........young and old !!!!!!.......the last time there was a small ruch was the referendum..........

doing "Getto shepards pie "....for this evening....

That's great news ditchy,  I've just driven home and its horrible out, glad to hear folk aren't being put off.

There was huge queue at our polling station about an hour ago but just inside the door was a lady looking at voting cards and checking them off against a list. I noticed she was wearing a Labour rosette so I asked what she was doing. "Just checking off people as they come in" So I said "But you're canvassing for Labour and this is a polling station", So she added that they will ring people who haven't voted by about 7 o'clock. When I said that I couldn't believe they were allowed inside to do that she replied that "It's perfectly normal". In my 50 years or so of voting I've never seen that before. Is there any dirty trick the Marxists haven't tried?

I didn't give her my card to check off on her list and nor did the lady behind me. Let them try ringing me this evening and they'll get the facts of life explained to them.

5 minutes ago, Westward said:

There was huge queue at our polling station about an hour ago but just inside the door was a lady looking at voting cards and checking them off against a list. I noticed she was wearing a Labour rosette so I asked what she was doing. "Just checking off people as they come in" So I said "But you're canvassing for Labour and this is a polling station", So she added that they will ring people who haven't voted by about 7 o'clock. When I said that I couldn't believe they were allowed inside to do that she replied that "It's perfectly normal". In my 50 years or so of voting I've never seen that before. Is there any dirty trick the Marxists haven't tried?

I didn't give her my card to check off on her list and nor did the lady behind me. Let them try ringing me this evening and they'll get the facts of life explained to them.

All perfectly legal and above board, it allows them to rally anybody on their list of known Labour voters and they even drive them to the Polling Station!

7 minutes ago, Westward said:

Pretty sure she should not be canvassing inside a polling station.

Mick

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All perfectly legal and above board, it allows them to rally anybody on their list of known Labour voters and they even drive them to the Polling Station!

Yes and no (I think).  In principle it is perfectly legal to ask, check known supporters off as having voted and go and round up those who have said they would support, but not turned up to vote, drive them in etc.  BUT it must not be done in a Polling Station (that was certainly the rule in the past).

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes and no (I think).  In principle it is perfectly legal to ask, check known supporters off as having voted and go and round up those who have said they would support, but not turned up to vote, drive them in etc.  BUT it must not be done in a Polling Station (that was certainly the rule in the past).

Well perhaps they were inside because of the weather!

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well perhaps they were inside because of the weather!

See para 1.14 here.  It sounds like the law may have been broken ........

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Tellers-guidance-generic.pdf

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, you may well be correct that the Presiding Officer should have made them go outside in the rain.:good:

In my younger days I used to help with supporting our local MP (who was a good man sadly no longer with us) and he was VERY strict that tellers MUST be outside , wear no identification except a plain modest sized badge with the local support group name, and ONLY ask those who had voted their number from the electoral roll.  These were then passed back to a local office where the number was checked against a 'known supporters' list - and later in the day people contacted to ask them to vote.  The MP was VERY strict that no infringement of the rules occur since it would reflect back on him.  It didn't work very well at all because in our very rural area most people didn't have their cards ...... so didn't know their number!