Shooting organisations

scouser

I agree that, when you consider how much income they must have amassed over the years, they all appear a total waste of money - how many millions does the BASC have in it's fighting fund? What have they been using it for? Posh Hotels when they have an AGM? Corporate Entertainment? Going by the fiasco this year - not much else IMHO. I just take out Insurance now - Country Cover policy provides all the Insurance that the landowners whose grounds I shoot ask for.

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I agree that, when you consider how much income they must have amassed over the years, they all appear a total waste of money - how many millions does the BASC have in it's fighting fund? What have they been using it for? Posh Hotels when they have an AGM? Corporate Entertainment? Going by the fiasco this year - not much else IMHO. I just take out Insurance now - Country Cover policy provides all the Insurance that the landowners whose grounds I shoot ask for.

A couple of mates have CC insurance; it’s one I haven’t looked at yet. 

GWCT for its research which counters the arguments of those opposed to game shooting and gives an insight into a range of issues including ,partridge survival ,woodcock migration,mountain hare numbers on grouse moors ,work on salmon and sea trout and it’s shoot advisory team.

BASC for its Wildlife Habitat Trust Fund which enabled our wildfowling club to buy its own area of merse and gave much needed advice when negotiating the formation of the Local Nature Reserve on the bay which ensured the continuation of moon flighting and punt gunning

I don’t honestly know the details of any insurance policies through them but then that wasn’t a priority for me joining

10 hours ago, figgy said:

All completely toothless and mainly a complete waste of time. 

Just pick the cheapest that offer insurance.

I could not agree more when I needed help from BASC they did not want to know, Just out of curiosity has anybody ever claimed on shooting insurance provided by BASC etc ?

Edited by blackbird

31 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Just out of curiosity has anybody ever claimed on shooting insurance provided by BASC etc ?

two cases,    one of personal injury to third party and one a claim for a shot dog.   I know payment was made in the first case but it was many years ago, in the second case (the dog survived)  the owner got a substantail payout for the claim they made.

Edited by scolopax

As far as I am aware the money paid by BASC towards insurance accounts for a very small amount from each persons subs so I would not be expecting great cover.
On the other hand I used to help out at young shots days teaching fly casting where our wildfowling club hosted a day for local youngsters or anyone willing to travel ,there was a strong contingent from Ireland. The events were sponsored by BASC and the kids had a great day out. They had a shot at casting then a try at casting into hoops against the clock, all were coached on clays with an appropriate shotgun for their build by qualified instructors and we had an airgun range again where they were coached  . Everyone got a good feed and enjoyed a great day out.

Ive been a member of what was WAGBI then BASC since the early 1970s like many on this forum and lived through a lot of anti WAGBI /BASC sentiment mostly when wildfowling clubs have felt let down  by their representation but there’s two sides to every coin and the organisation has helped many clubs and individuals. Where would we be with no organisations representing us and remember they are only a bunch of individuals with our best interests at heart. I feel GWCT and BASC combined represents my interests and though possibly not perfect as a proportion of the money I spend on cartridges waders waterproofs decoys  knives rifles etc it’s a small amount I’m more than willing to pay.

it might be a different BASC if every shooter was a member .

This year, as the pressure on shooting has increased I have joined BASC, NGO, GWCT and BDS. None of them are perfect but I do not have time to contact all MPs myself and letters that I have written to my local MP have been responded to with standard replies. I therefore feel that I need representation as part of a group as I feel that this will have more impact. I also do not have time to look at all the proposed legislation or where public consultation is available for me to contribute. It is mainly BASC that informs me about what is going on and I rely on all the organisations to represent me in Westminster. The organisations (barring the BDS) , all contacted me about the latest consultation on General licences in plenty of time for me to contribute, which I did.

If folk who are not members stopped whinging about these organisations for one minute and engaged their brains they would realise that, as Konor says, if everyone joined we would have a far stronger voice. If you are a member of course you are allowed to whinge and have your say. I do so regularly into the ear of my local BASC rep but it is mostly about the lack of communication regarding what they are doing rather than the lack of effort.

A typical case in point is that today I would expect to be able to go to the BASC website and see a synopsis of where each party stands on hunting and shooting in its manifesto. BASC must have done this research but unfortunately have not published it.

Joining a shooting organisation should not just be about the insurance, if that is your only motivation then you should be ashamed to call yourself part of the shooting community.

3 hours ago, 243deer said:

Joining a shooting organisation should not just be about the insurance, if that is your only motivation then you should be ashamed to call yourself part of the shooting community.

Unfortunately there a several members on this forum who think like that. The fact that BASC/NGO and others did a load of work lobbying and producing evidence when the GL fiasco blew up seems to escape some people. However, these same people were happy to continue pigeon and corvid shooting when Defra stepped in, examined the evidence, sorted the mess out & re-issued the licences.

It was hardly BASC or any other organisations fault that NE cancelled the GL's ! But I guess its easier for some to blame BASC than look into what really happened.

Then of course it was BASC and some of the other orgs working together that got the situation sorted with DEFRA, but again its easier to sit back and blame BASC than look at the facts...

Now its BASC and some other orgs that are trying to work with DEFRA to protect the GL renewal in 2020, but again its easier to blame BASC than look at the facts of what's actually going on

At the end of the day support the organisation or organisations that fit what you do and what you want, at the end of the day we are all shooters and should focus on that and working together regardless of which organisation we choose to support rather than arguing among ourselves.

David

46 minutes ago, David BASC said:

It was hardly BASC or any other organisations fault that NE cancelled the GL's ! But I guess its easier for some to blame BASC than look into what really happened.

Then of course it was BASC and some of the other orgs working together that got the situation sorted with DEFRA, but again its easier to sit back and blame BASC than look at the facts...

Now its BASC and some other orgs that are trying to work with DEFRA to protect the GL renewal in 2020, but again its easier to blame BASC than look at the facts of what's actually going on

At the end of the day support the organisation or organisations that fit what you do and what you want, at the end of the day we are all shooters and should focus on that and working together regardless of which organisation we choose to support rather than arguing among ourselves.

David

Thanks David. Shame the people who are not members for their own personal reasons, dont just keep it to themselves. We always seem to have a small selection of people who feel the need to broadcast on a public forum their ill informed views about BASC and what it does. Not a member for your own reasons, fine !  But do we need `shooters` knocking our shooting organisations for the whole world and his brother to read. The term `divided we fall` springs to mind !

Edited by JJsDad

12 hours ago, blackbird said:

I could not agree more when I needed help from BASC they did not want to know, Just out of curiosity has anybody ever claimed on shooting insurance provided by BASC etc ?

same here,waste of time but BASC membership is part of my wildfowling club membership,if i had a choice i wouldn't be a member.