Shooting organisations

scouser

6 hours ago, andrewluke said:

same here,waste of time but BASC membership is part of my wildfowling club membership,if i had a choice i wouldn't be a member.

Could you expand on that I certainly didn’t find them a waste of time when they ,Alistair Mcgugan, attended countless meetings when we were negotiating  the LNR with Scottish Natural Heritage ,the RSPB and the local council they were invaluable. I don’t think the kids that attended our young shots days thought they were a waste of time either they all had a great day out. If you are going to criticise BASC it would be more credible if you were to be more specific then those reading on the forum could form an opinion on whether your view that BASC is a waste of time is justified. As has been said already it’s easy to criticise

30 minutes ago, Konor said:

Could you expand on that I certainly didn’t find them a waste of time when they ,Alistair Mcgugan, attended countless meetings when we were negotiating  the LNR with Scottish Natural Heritage ,the RSPB and the local council they were invaluable. I don’t think the kids that attended our young shots days thought they were a waste of time either they all had a great day out. If you are going to criticise BASC it would be more credible if you were to be more specific then those reading on the forum could form an opinion on whether your view that BASC is a waste of time is justified. As has been said already it’s easy to criticise

Good post.

BASC   do others offer help and advice when i phoned them for advice for my FAC licence was told by a member of staff if met police want mentoring then you have to do it. Went and joined G P but you do not get any help so rejoined BASC and phoned again them about the issues I was having from the Met. Told them the same story as the first call they took my details and said we will be in touch with the met . Also a P W member came forward and offered me some mentoring in Deal  with him and his mate P thanks guys  but the met still put up barriers  but I  got my  ticket. Will stay with BASC   now as they are there when needed.

Surely we need one amalgamated organisation, not one decent size one and loads of piddely little ones with their own niche areas of interest and limited stature, influence or effectiveness?

You just have to see what Ducks Unlimited and the NRA achieve in the states.

Guess here folk are too parochial and after all its jobs for the boys

2 hours ago, grahamch said:

Surely we need one amalgamated organisation, not one decent size one and loads of piddely little ones with their own niche areas of interest and limited stature, influence or effectiveness?

You just have to see what Ducks Unlimited and the NRA achieve in the states.

Guess here folk are too parochial and after all its jobs for the boys

It wouldn’t make any difference if there was just one organisation, because even if every single UK shooter joined it we still wouldn’t have the numbers to influence any party politically.
The US has a huge gun culture going almost as far back as when it was a colony. Their is a hunting culture in the US the likes of which has never existed in the UK, and the numbers to not only influence politicians but to fund them.
We don’t come anywhere close to having anything like it in the UK, and are a fractured lot who as individuals are willing to throw one faction under the bus in an attempt to save their own.
Just look at the criticism some on here levy at others on here who don’t do things the way some think it should be done. The mention of extreme birds, pistol grips on shotguns, tactical shotguns, ‘black’ guns or wearing camo’ can attract all manner of criticism.
It’s worth remembering that in the past, even our own organisations, namely BASC and the NRA , have distanced themselves from minority disciplines when the proverbial has hit the fan. The CPSA hierarchy attempted to distance itself from live quarry shooters with a name change some years ago. It didn’t work, but the attempt was made. 
Despite all that our shooting organisations claim, UK shooters have lost more in the last thirty years than they have gained.
I’ll admit that without them we would find it much harder to do what we do; because they have friends in high places, but don’t make the mistake of believing that any of our shooting organisations have the clout they claim they have. 
We can’t even sort the matter of GP’s letters! 

From my perspective it should be mandatory to have suitable insurance before you can shootvin whatever area you choose. This should be offered through a single large volume provider preferably based on BASC lines and amalgamation the smaller ineffective bodies. Some forms of game shooting eg extreme pheasant should be regulated or done away with to preserve the future of shooting for the majority who can't afford such ridiculous so called sporting shooting

48 minutes ago, grahamch said:

From my perspective it should be mandatory to have suitable insurance before you can shootvin whatever area you choose. This should be offered through a single large volume provider preferably based on BASC lines and amalgamation the smaller ineffective bodies. Some forms of game shooting eg extreme pheasant should be regulated or done away with to preserve the future of shooting for the majority who can't afford such ridiculous so called sporting shooting

And as if we needed proof of what I was just saying! 🙂

7 hours ago, Wingman said:

Just out of interest, what defines extreme pheasant shooting?

When the pattern is not capable of bringing the bird down every time if shot is on target and shooter is relying on luck of a normally oversized pellet to do the job when it randomly strikes the bird.

Edited by Stonepark

7 hours ago, Wingman said:

Just out of interest, what defines extreme pheasant shooting? When I have been game shooting I class lots of the birds as extreme and their not that high!

29 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

When the pattern is not capable of bringing the bird down every time if shot is on target and shooter is relying on luck of a normally oversized pellet to do the job when it randomly strikes the bird.

Don't forget the need to tell people you are shooting "Extreme" pheasants!

On 12/12/2019 at 13:04, andrewluke said:

same here,waste of time but BASC membership is part of my wildfowling club membership,if i had a choice i wouldn't be a member.

Ditto.... I held membership of 3, sometimes 4, wild fowling clubs - all of which automatically included BASC membership fee (non-optional ). Previously the onus fell on the individual to approach basc for refunds - and as club renewals all fell due at different time points in the calendar, it became a nauseating performance to try and reclaim.... lost count of how many I missed out on refund due. 

Basc later introduced a procedure to make the refunds automatically (if provided with your bank details) - but then who can be bothered to maintain checks on their bank a/cs to find if payments had been made. 

Just another one from the basc bag of tricks aimed at boosting their membership numbers and their income.