Biometric Passports

walshie

What a load of rubbish they are. 

My last one worked once in its 10 year lifespan. I recently renewed it and it's different to the old one as it doesn't have the "stiff" page with the circuit board thingy on the back. At Stansted the other night we were all herded towards the "E-gates" and the minute i held it on the scanner it said "seek assistance". A Border Control bloke tried it on a different scanner and it still didn't work so I ended up in a massive queue (as half the plane seemed to be having the same problem) for a real person to look at it. When I asked why there was 100 people in the queue he said "Ah, the new passports don't work very well."

Should i try and get it replaced or just put up with 10 years of aggro?

Just now, henry d said:

Not had a problem with mine, might it have been the machine itself?

There were about 10 gates and they were all randomly rejecting people. 

Just now, figgy said:

I'd be asking for a replacement as you've paid good money for faulty goods.

Think I'll give them a ring and see what they say. 

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Seemed to be happening in Spain and Newcastle like that but a lot of it was, and I`m not directing this at you, old people not listening to what was being said.

I get that, but the immigration guy couldn't get it to work either and he was at a different gate. The technology appears to be rubbish and they've had years to fine tune it. 

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Seemed to be happening in Spain and Newcastle like that but a lot of it was, and I`m not directing this at you, old people not listening to what was being said.

You defend against racism and sexism, but it appears you are quite happy to spew out generalised ageism!...........Isn’t that that a wee bit hypocritical? Lol!

I had my car stolen with my passport in it last May. The new passport "failed" at the automated gates at entry back into the UK on 23 consecutive occasions, I asked the reason many times and on a couple occasions the official stated that there was someone of interest to them with my name. During this time I went through automated gates in France, Germany and UAE using it. It worked reliably for about six months and failed last time I tried, apparently the reason now is that the biometric device has failed and if I want to get it replaced it's gonna cost me.

From the 23 failures you can probably guess I travel a fair bit and I have seen some right gormless souls (young, middle aged and old alike) trying to use the automated gates 🙄

I emailed the Passport Office earlier and they already replied. They said it "could" be a fault with the chip and i have to send it back to them so they can investigate. If it's a fault they'll replace it free of charge. If I've damaged it (it's brand new) I'll have to pay. 

8 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I had my car stolen with my passport in it last May. The new passport "failed" at the automated gates at entry back into the UK on 23 consecutive occasions, I asked the reason many times and on a couple occasions the official stated that there was someone of interest to them with my name. During this time I went through automated gates in France, Germany and UAE using it. It worked reliably for about six months and failed last time I tried, apparently the reason now is that the biometric device has failed and if I want to get it replaced it's gonna cost me.

From the 23 failures you can probably guess I travel a fair bit and I have seen some right gormless souls (young, middle aged and old alike) trying to use the automated gates 🙄

Well at least your being equitable by saying, it’s every age group, not just old people who are numpties! 😀

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Nope it was all old gammons I was seeing, but I don't travel as much as RC so I have to take onboard his input.

😁

The highlighted slur in your post is exactly the sort of casual racism which you would challenge if used about another group.

You know, that you are better than this.

I’ve travelled a few times recently with a colleague, he used to design  missile systems and fit them on Royal Navy Warships an absolutely  fascinating bloke.

He was pulled out of the automated gates every time, bearing in mind what he used to do he’s no technophobe and probably had a pretty good security rating.........there is just something in his passport.