waxing / waterproofing leather boots

big bad lindz

I re-wax my leather boots regularly but it would appear that I am just layering the wax up and only adding more wax onto the existing wax and not getting into the actual leather. Can anyone suggest a way to remove old wax before applying new. I usually warm the boots up in the cupboard  next to my hot water tank before waxing.  

hello, i have done this but takes a while, laces out and bottle of white spirit with a old tooth brush and cloth to get old wax off, if the leather looses it color your need to apply a leather dye, once done and boots dry i use Leder -Gris after warming up boots, a hair dryer helps as mentioned 

Over many years I have used all sorts of things to waterproof boots until two years ago at the Shooting Show I went on the Renapur stand. The guy gave my boots a free treatment and I purchased a small tub of the stuff.  I used this as indicated on my leather boots and country shoes and also my wife treated her Dubarry boots as well.  They stayed good looking and waterproof from that day on. I purchased another tub at this years show, although only halfway down the first because you don't need a huge amount to do the job.  It is absorbed into the leather straight away and under normal room temp is dry to touch within half an hour and can be buffed up.   I know this sounds like sales pitch but I have no interest in the company at all but if a product gives me good quality and service I believe in passing details on.  Renapur.   Not cheap initially but it is in the long run.                                                                                                            

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, martinj said:

what LB said, I use a hot air gun (carefully) on my boots and barbour. If the layers are too thick you can wipe off the surplus while it is melted

I do the same... obviously be careful and don’t hold the heat too close or for too long, as mentioned.

You’ll start to see the wax melt into the leather and any excess can be wiped off whilst molten.

If you’ve ever watched the Barbour rewaxing video, you’ll see they work with heated benches to ensure the wax stays workable. I don’t have that luxury but I do keep a small fan heater pointed at the jacket or boots.

I only use dubbin on leather; Good leather will just suck it up and stay waterproof for at least a season, and it'll look fantastic too. If you had used wax before you might have to remove it first, but I would never wax leather!

Wax is ok on fabric, like barbour, caps etc and the suggested method of heating it works really well.

Rather than waxing look to the motorcycle world for various potions and lotions for leather if waterproofing and preserving suppleness is your main objective. Modern wax shoe polishes only shine, great for the parade ground but the polish is only going skin deep. When my nephew was doing his basic training for the marines they clubbed together to buy a black and decker heat gun. Every intake gets "advised" to do so. 

Dubbin is good but it traps water into the stitching causing it to rot if it is not synthetic thread  and it does nothing for the leather as far as I can see .but it does waterproof better than anything else  

I still have leather motorcycle gloves that are over 20 years old that are supple and reasonably waterproof 

Edited by Vince Green

To be honest, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, once the Gortex or whatever waterproof layer you have is gone it doesn't matter what you put on your boots or waxed coat, they will leak.

I have had many pairs of walking boots (not cheap ones) all of which leaked, some sooner, some later. You can rub in your waxes and potions but that will just last half an hour in wet grass or whatever, The same for Barbour/waxed jackets, I have a Barbour jacket which I re-wax, it looks pristine but after half an hour of heavy rain will start leaking . . . . purely from my own (and wife's) experience.

Edited by martinj

Waxes will crack, it's oils and soft waxes diluted with the oils. 

Have to agree with martinj I've spent money on ledergris, renapur, leather genie, and many other leather products. After a while the leather gets soaked through.

To keep.leather supe and nourished use Shea butter.

I found treati v just before going out worked best.

Edited by figgy

10 hours ago, martinj said:

To be honest, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, once the Gortex or whatever waterproof layer you have is gone it doesn't matter what you put on your boots or waxed coat, they will leak.

I have had many pairs of walking boots (not cheap ones) all of which leaked, some sooner, some later. You can rub in your waxes and potions but that will just last half an hour in wet grass or whatever, The same for Barbour/waxed jackets, I have a Barbour jacket which I re-wax, it looks pristine but after half an hour of heavy rain will start leaking . . . . purely from my own (and wife's) experience.

Gortex was only designed to bend about 500 times before being useless. 

On 11/12/2019 at 15:28, big bad lindz said:

I re-wax my leather boots regularly but it would appear that I am just layering the wax up and only adding more wax onto the existing wax and not getting into the actual leather. Can anyone suggest a way to remove old wax before applying new. I usually warm the boots up in the cupboard  next to my hot water tank before waxing.  

Saddle soap and nail brush, it’s designed to clean leather, what wax are you using? 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 16:22, Walker570 said:

Over many years I have used all sorts of things to waterproof boots until two years ago at the Shooting Show I went on the Renapur stand. The guy gave my boots a free treatment and I purchased a small tub of the stuff.  I used this as indicated on my leather boots and country shoes and also my wife treated her Dubarry boots as well.  They stayed good looking and waterproof from that day on. I purchased another tub at this years show, although only halfway down the first because you don't need a huge amount to do the job.  It is absorbed into the leather straight away and under normal room temp is dry to touch within half an hour and can be buffed up.   I know this sounds like sales pitch but I have no interest in the company at all but if a product gives me good quality and service I believe in passing details on.  Renapur.   Not cheap initially but it is in the long run.                                                                                                            

+ 1

Renapur is good stuff. Has kept my boots waterproofed for years.