Forester 2014,15,16 Manual AWD off-road

mick miller

Anyone got a manual Forester with the standard AWD system? If so, what's it like off-road, specifically on muddy tracks or across fields. I would prefer the XT but the CVT box has me worried about reliability and replacement cost if it goes wrong (I think the thick end of 5k to replace). Yes the XT has X-Mode, but for 90% of off-road situations, forest tracks, wet fields, gopping mud etc. is it really a necessity?

I had a forester xt and it was fantastic on muddy fields and tracks. Not the best ground clearance but nail the loud pedal. Spin the wheels and all the mud flies out and you keep moving forward. Full symmetrical four wheel drive.  I would have another.

I would not go near a CVT transmission car.

Edited by figgy

Thanks Figgy, all the new XT's are cvt only. I think I'll stick with a manual XE Premium, at least that way it can be serviced, without me selling a kidney. I guess if you're chopping them in under warranty its fine, but if the vehicle is out of warranty you've had it. Shame, as I fancied the injection model, but I'll have to go with the regular, asthmatic, 2.0l instead.

As long as I don't necessarily need the 'x-mode' that'll do. The Defender has to go, I absolutely love it, it's been perfect in the 10 years I've had it, but I'm doing more miles these days and, as a daily driver, it doesn't make economical sense (if I had the money I'd just keep it).

Edited by mick miller

32 minutes ago, robbiep said:

The regular 2.0L petrol is still not terrible for acceleration. And if you're coming from a Defender, it'll seem positively neck-snapping for performance

🤣TBH that's exactly what I'm thinking, I'm reading reviews saying "sluggish" and "slight body roll on corners"  and I'm thinking to myself, "yeah, you haven't been driving a 300 Tdi rudderless cruise ship for the last ten years!"...

I had a forester xt, 2 litre. It was fantastic. I’m considering another, even though I don’t need one and could do with something less thirsty like a golf or fiesta really.

with all terrain tyres you shouldn’t get stuck unless your doing something really interesting.

just lol at a few traction comparison videos like these

The awd system is amazing. You don’t have to turn it and off to avoid transmission wind up like many 4wds like pickups. It just kicks in when needed.

the turbo versions are awesome. If you are restrained the mpg is ok. But if you need overtaking power, or just love that boxer burble, planting your right foot will put a smile on your face!

cannot recommend these enough. Best of many worlds, practical, roomy, capable, fast, comfy....

I have a 2016 petrol manual forester. I can't fault it off road, certainly it will go anywhere a pick up will go, maybe not quite the same league as a Land rover. On road it is fine, it won't set any land speed records, but It keeps up well with traffic and if you drop a cog or two it will easily overtake. Avg about 36-38mpg in mixed driving around 200 miles a week. 

I also have a subaru XV manual petrol which the wife has the use of. I'd argue it was slightly better off road as it has better approach/departure angles and is around 150kg lighter. Could be worth a look as it is around the same size as the original forester, and I can easily get my two labradors in the boot. I fitted slightly more off road biased tyres to this car and it can go almost anywhere. 

I would highly recommend a subaru. 

I bought a pre-reg 2013 diesel Forester and thought it was great. The permanent four wheel drive system is brilliant and it regularly returned around 50mpg. First MOT it got an advisory on a leaking rear shock absorber. It was changed under warranty but I was advised the other side was weeping and would probably fail the next year's test when it would be chargeable. I asked the price and was told the one they had just fitted would have been best part of £1,000 parts and labour! The good news was resale value was excellent when I sold it just before the next MOT. Great car but beware the cost of parts and lack of pattern parts.

I think I posted in reply to a request for information a few months ago,  but in case it wasn't here :

My wife has recently run a 2012 Forester for a 2-3 years. Petrol, manual, the base spec one (which still has heated seats, etc). It was only a 5 speed box, and averaged 30mpg. Had a 'proper' low box, and I've had it on the shoot quite often, theres one pic of it on about a 20 degree side slope, where it had a quarter tonne of pellets in the back. Managed perfectly.

She recently changed to a 2018 Forester, petrol manual, in XE Premium spec. That's a really nice place to be, they now have a 6 speed gearbox, and it's averaging 35mpg - on a run we're looking at virtually 40mpg, which I think is pretty good.

I've no idea what the new one is like on the shoot, as I'm banned from ever taking it there and loading it up.

But that's OK, because we kept the old one as my 'shoot wagon' !

On 12/12/2019 at 21:05, mick miller said:

This forum needs a like button. Thanks for your help chaps (and diversions... XV, ******. Looking at those now too).

XV boot is too small. Bah.

Forester is the vehicle of choice for "do as you-likey" hare coursers, and they go crazy places off road. Its usually only ditches deeper than the car that stop them