100's of dead Starlings

Mr gen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) There are no overhead wires along that road. 2) They were found only on the road and verges along a short stretch. 3) Starlings don't gather en masse no tarmaced road surfaces.

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes

So they must have been killed elsewhere and somebody dropped them from a moving vehicle to dispose of the bodies. :)

I have discounted poison as they would have all, had to digest the same amount at the same time to fall as they did. power lines, again seems impossible as they are only small birds so only perch on one phase at a time so no amount of fault current would affect them. I cant wait to hear what the BBC post mortem reveals.

Ah now I knew all my years of watching the history/discovery channel would come in handy. There was a similar case where hundreds of dead starlings were found scattered over a small area, dead as a door nail. They concluded that a perfect storm of weather conditions, predators and a massive conflagration of starlings. I can't remember exactly the weather conditions but they pretty much crashed into each other and knocked each other out of the sky to fall to their death. 

On 13/12/2019 at 00:01, Mr gen said:

I have discounted poison as they would have all, had to digest the same amount at the same time to fall as they did. power lines, again seems impossible as they are only small birds so only perch on one phase at a time so no amount of fault current would affect them. I cant wait to hear what the BBC post mortem reveals.

I once saw a pheasant or crow drop off a power line as I was driving along the motorway,  very very  unlikely it was shot, just fell like a stone.

Can't believe no ones said punt gun, does look odd though.

Same thing happened with Crows last year. Police put it down to white van drivers. All birds had traces of white paint on their beaks and broken necks.

After extensive investigations they concluded that it was due to the fact that the lookout crow could only shout out the warning Car Car and not Van Van.  🙄