100's of dead Starlings

Mr gen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if they have flown through a Carbon monoxide gas cloud.Birds a sensitive  to gasses,that's why they used Cannaries in mines.They drop dead at very low level gasses giving miners time to evacuate.Wonder if their is old mine workings below that road and Carbon monoxide is coming to the surface (along the hedgerow)No one would know as that gas has no taste or smell.Hence the birds falling in one place when they do that gathering flight thing they do before dusk.

Police estimate this happened at around 15.40, this could explain there close concentration of starling (murmer or what ever they call it)

Canaries, and birds in general, are suited to this not just because they're small and portable, but because their anatomy makes them vulnerable to airborne poisons. Birds are continuously "inhaling." This is what helps them fly, which is already a tremendously taxing aerobic activity, at heights that would cause a human altitude sickness. Human lungs house many little alveoli - sacs with thin outer layers that allow oxygen to pass into the bloodstream while letting carbon dioxide out of the blood stream and back into the lungs.

For birds, the oxygen goes in and the carbon dioxide out, when it travels through a structure that resembles a ribcage-like series of tubes. When a bird draws breath, it passes air through those tubes, absorbing the oxygen into its bloodstream while the remaining de-oxygenated air goes into two sacs in its body. It also takes in air that rushes directly to a second set of sacs. When the bird exhales, the "spent" air rushes out, along with the carbon dioxide. That second set of sacs, full of unused air, also empty. Their oxygen-rich air rushes through the tubes on its way out, letting the blood absorb yet more oxygen. Birds are getting fresh air when they inhale and when they exhale - a double dose for our single one.Which makes they be very sensitive to small %'s of gas, through circular breathing.SO IF YOU PLAY A DIDGERIDOO DONT GO PRACTICING IN THAT LANE.

Edited by Davyo

,It was the advert years ago, a woman sat on park bench opens a box and takes out a big high wedge of Victoria sponge cake, ducks are circling throws some to the ducks he smiles other fella throws some his wife's rather flat Victoria sponge cake to the ducks, the duck that eats it sinks. Bero bakes a lighter cake.

Here's a link to a site with the advert.https://www.oddballfilms.com/clip/13160_13285_be-ro_flour

Edited by figgy

8 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I'll have you all know that her cooking is amazing , she can microwave anything to perfection 😆

It's just a shame that she's so fat 😂.

Anyone remember that mel bloke, can't get hold of him these days, but I did see something on the news about some bloke found in a wood, seems he slipped and his leather neck tie got caught and strangled him, it was apparently very well made, police said they would have expected it to have snapped, but the craftsmanship was such he had no chance.

On 15/12/2019 at 09:01, Davyo said:

Wonder if they have flown through a Carbon monoxide gas cloud.Birds a sensitive  to gasses,that's why they used Cannaries in mines.They drop dead at very low level gasses giving miners time to evacuate.Wonder if their is old mine workings below that road and Carbon monoxide is coming to the surface (along the hedgerow)No one would know as that gas has no taste or smell.Hence the birds falling in one place when they do that gathering flight thing they do before dusk.

Police estimate this happened at around 15.40, this could explain there close concentration of starling (murmer or what ever they call it)

Canaries, and birds in general, are suited to this not just because they're small and portable, but because their anatomy makes them vulnerable to airborne poisons. Birds are continuously "inhaling." This is what helps them fly, which is already a tremendously taxing aerobic activity, at heights that would cause a human altitude sickness. Human lungs house many little alveoli - sacs with thin outer layers that allow oxygen to pass into the bloodstream while letting carbon dioxide out of the blood stream and back into the lungs.

For birds, the oxygen goes in and the carbon dioxide out, when it travels through a structure that resembles a ribcage-like series of tubes. When a bird draws breath, it passes air through those tubes, absorbing the oxygen into its bloodstream while the remaining de-oxygenated air goes into two sacs in its body. It also takes in air that rushes directly to a second set of sacs. When the bird exhales, the "spent" air rushes out, along with the carbon dioxide. That second set of sacs, full of unused air, also empty. Their oxygen-rich air rushes through the tubes on its way out, letting the blood absorb yet more oxygen. Birds are getting fresh air when they inhale and when they exhale - a double dose for our single one.Which makes they be very sensitive to small %'s of gas, through circular breathing.SO IF YOU PLAY A DIDGERIDOO DONT GO PRACTICING IN THAT LANE.

:lol:

On 13/12/2019 at 08:05, Benthejockey said:

Ah now I knew all my years of watching the history/discovery channel would come in handy. There was a similar case where hundreds of dead starlings were found scattered over a small area, dead as a door nail. They concluded that a perfect storm of weather conditions, predators and a massive conflagration of starlings. I can't remember exactly the weather conditions but they pretty much crashed into each other and knocked each other out of the sky to fall to their death. 

This seems to be what they are saying. I've got to be honest when I saw the initial video report and he was talking about the stench being awful I imagined the birds were dead a while and had been dumped. Wouldn't have thought they'd have smelt unless dead a while but by all accounts they'd only been lying there an hour.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-50849740

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Impact with the ground?.......or a boy racer? And how do they explain the birds dead in the hedge? Did they bounce off the ground? I Don’t buy it.

this + if they did all crash into the ground surely there would be as many wounded birds struggling around. but no reports of any wounded, it looks like whatever hit them, killed everyone it hit. 

30 minutes ago, FreshFace said:

Very possible, I once saw 6 heiffers dead under a huge oak that was struck, very surreal.

yes it s not a nice sight. I have seen it a few times over the years whilst repairing downed power lines it takes a surprisingly small amount of current to kill cows and horses due to the step potential (distance between legs). 

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Impact with the ground?.......or a boy racer? And how do they explain the birds dead in the hedge? Did they bounce off the ground? I Don’t buy it.

Agree. And to be honest, I'm not sure that the police or the DoE buy it either. Everything they're saying is all 'could' and 'might' and other shifty modal verbs of uncertainty and deniability. Reading between the lines, it seems to be a case of 'we really haven't a clue, but we're obliged to say something and this is as good as anything else.