A certain Restaurant chain.

fatchap

Won't mention their name but they like it to be Friday, 

Daughters 22nd birthday yesterday and she picked this establishment as to where she wanted to go. I have never been to one before always wanted to but never got round to it, so was quite looking forward to babyback ribs, steaks, wings etc.

Anyway after 30 minutes of being shown to our table we still hadn't been asked what drinks we would like, the wife was getting the hump, eventually someone turned up, a very enthusiastic bloke who you could tell on the outside was putting on a show, but on the inside he was dying. Ordered the drinks which took a further 15 minutes to arrive. I ordered a root beer never had one but as its an American based restaurant best go the whole hog, What can I say root beer smells and tastes like Deep Heat muscle cream. Ordered food I had sesame chicken, wife had a burger daughter, steak ,son had blackened tuna. 

Now every 5 minutes in this place there is lots of shouting as 2 or 3 "servers" gather round a table and start chanting some rubbish to a customer, then everyone cheers, not sure whats that about but I do believe its the cause of the **** poor service in the place as we was quite close to the food prep area, under the hot lamps there must have been at least 20 plates of food ready to be served but not one person taking the stuff out to waiting and probably starving customers. I could understand if the place was teaming with customers but it wasn't exactly busy. If they didn't insist on embarrasing a customer with a barrage of chanting and got on and served the food out to the customers I would assume service would improve.

We eventually got our food my chicken was dry, presumably from sun bathing under the hot lamps for a long time, My wifes burger was apparently ok, but not worth £14, my daughters steak was dry as a bone, again probably from the heat lamps, and my sons blackened tuna wasn't black it was white with brown chargrill strips across it.

As I said I've always wanted to visit this chain, now I have, and wont be again. Absolute rubbish and bloody expensive.

5 minutes ago, sam triple said:

these chain seem to be all the same I doubt nothing is prepped in house , all bought in ready to serve when the microwave pings ir am I cinical

Your probably not far off the mark.

My ex's family were obsessed with going to one of the above mentioned, I couldn't stand the place. It got to the point where even if I knew I wasn't paying I wouldn't go. 

Too loud, over priced, poor quality food. I really can't see the attraction. 

3 hours ago, 243deer said:

Many is the time I would have preferred fish and chips when eating out - the mrs agrees so we rarely go out to eat now apart from a trusted cafe for breakfast, we would rather spend the money on a good meal at home.

Absolutely. I know of one or two small pubs where a reasonably good meal can be had but far between.  Much prefer to have a few friends in and cook a proper meal at home.

Brakes deliver ready prepared meals and yes they are just popped in the microwave and a quick spray of sauce or whatever on top to make it look 'hand finished'  NOW don't get me on that label..... everyhting has to be 'hand finished' these days, almost as bad as all the fake news from the left wing newspapers this last week or so. Chewing their lips this morning no doubt.

26 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Add chiquitos to the list of places never to visit. And actually Panama Hatties by Chester was the same if not worse than Chiquitos.

Me and the missus used to like chiquitos, then they changed the menu and it went to being just 'ok' then it seemed to steeply down hill. Not been for a good couple years now. 

Fortunate enough to be married to an ex pro Chef who trained under the Roux Brothers for a while - rarely bother eating out because she can find fault with just about every meal. She can easily cook Curry or Chinese that is far superior to any take away and is totally responsible for me being, er, under tall for my weight.

30 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Add chiquitos to the list of places never to visit. And actually Panama Hatties by Chester was the same if not worse than Chiquitos.

Totally agree. Panama Hatties used to be quite good but has steadily deteriorated to the poor quality dished up by F&B, Chiquito and the rest in that league.

Generally. if people want quality, its simple - bite the bullet and go to a proper restaurant or decent pub. More expensive? Of course it is but you get what you pay for in this world.

@WestonSalop If you want a good meal go to La Dolce Vita in Shrewsbury town. It's above the more well known Paulos but knocks spots off anywhere else. The son is or was a chef on the Welsh cooking team, the mother is also an excellent chef. I haven't been for ages but it's probably my favourite place to eat when I've got some money to my name!

On 13/12/2019 at 12:46, Benthejockey said:

@WestonSalop If you want a good meal go to La Dolce Vita in Shrewsbury town. It's above the more well known Paulos but knocks spots off anywhere else. The son is or was a chef on the Welsh cooking team, the mother is also an excellent chef. I haven't been for ages but it's probably my favourite place to eat when I've got some money to my name!

Spooky - just last night, HRH and I were walking past La Dolce Vita and I asked if she knew if it was any good. (She didn't).

So thanks Ben - very timely.

On 13/12/2019 at 11:44, bruno22rf said:

Fortunate enough to be married to an ex pro Chef who trained under the Roux Brothers for a while - rarely bother eating out because she can find fault with just about every meal. She can easily cook Curry or Chinese that is far superior to any take away and is totally responsible for me being, er, under tall for my weight.

I reckon she's a keeper then.

Blackpowder